WineBoard
Napa/Sonoma - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Napa/Sonoma (/thread-15203.html)

- Zinner - 11-28-2004

I'm taking some frequent flyer miles and going to Napa/Sonoma Dec. 1-12. I'm interested in your comments on places you most enjoyed on your visits.

Any restaurant advice also appreciated.

- Innkeeper - 11-28-2004

That should be right up WW's ally. He just got back!

- winoweenie - 11-28-2004

Our most enjoyable restaurant experiences were Wappo, Mustards, and Domaine Chandon for lunch. Cindys' Backstreet, Terra ( next door to each other in St. Helena) are two outstanding dinner venues. Where are you staying? I can help a little better if I know your schedule. WW

- Zinner - 11-29-2004

Thanks. Some of the restaurants I've eaten in, but not Wappo or Cindy's Backstreet. Have you eaten at a restaurant called Foothills Cafe? Am curious about that one.

Will start out the trip in Napa with Oscar Renteria as a first visit. He's a vintner who has made several visits here and I like his wines quite a bit. Will be staying on the Silverado Trail, I believe.

Then it's over to Sonoma. The Alexander Valley vintners are having a Cab event called Red Velvet over the weekend. Also there's a chocolate(savory and sweet) and wine event at Simi that I might try to do. And a booksigning in Healdsburg for the book North American Pinot Noirs with John Winthrop Haeger with Anderson Valley Pinots being poured.

Will spend a few days further exploration in Dry Creek, Alex Valley and Russian River areas before going back to Napa again. Then will stay up in the hills above the town of Napa near Hess Collection. A place called Back Room Wines is having a tasting of garagiste type producers that Fiday/Saturday that sounds interesting.

- winoweenie - 11-29-2004

2 opf my favorite winerrys in Sonoma that will pour generously and make killer juice are Scherrer winery and Joesph Swan. Fred Scherrer is in Sebastapol and phone is 707 823 8980 and Rod Bergland at Swan are both dedicated winemakers with fine grapes. WW

- wondersofwine - 11-29-2004

It's been about ten years since I've visited Napa wineries. I too enjoyed lunch at Domaine Chandon. (I stayed twice at Wine Country Inn and loved the view and accommodations and breakfasts there). I enjoyed visiting Sterling Vineyards for the funicular ride, view from on high, Moorish architecture, self-guided tour, etc. I believe Beringer was another good tour. If I were to go again I would probably spend more time on the Silverado Trail.
I have a conference in Monterey in April 2005 (lucky me!) and plan to spend a couple nights in San Francisco and one night at Applewood Inn in Sonoma following the conference. Let us know about your Sonoma experience. I hope to visit Geyser Peak, DeLoach, Lynmar, Seghesio, possibly Gallo, and a couple more. (Add Siduri and Joseph Swan to that list. Maybe Gary Farrell if he has a tasting room.) A contributor on another wine board recommended Land's End in Jenner, CA for dinner with a spectacular ocean view. Also Farmhouse Restaurant towards Highway 101, and Underwood's in Graton. He said the town of Sebastopol has a decent restaurant and wine bar but didn't specify the name. I looked up Farmhouse and it's an inn and restaurant on River Road in Forestville, CA (Russian River Valley). There's a website at www.farmhouseinn.com.
Correction: The restaurant/inn in Jenner along Highway 1 is River's End, not Land's End.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-29-2004).]

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-29-2004).]

- Zinner - 11-30-2004

Thanks. I do hope to visit Joseph Swan sometime--just not absolutely sure I can do it on this trip. It's shaping up to be mostly Napa and the Healdsburg area of Sonoma(Dry Creek,Russian River and Alexander Valleys). I've found places to stay in the Dry Creek Valley for the Sonoma portion and want to continue an exploration started back in August.

Have thought too about Siduri--have met the owners and like what they're doing. Will see if I end up with time.

WoW, if you're going to Monterey, there's something called A Taste of Monterey at 700 Cannery Row and another location at 127 Main Street in Salinas. They have daily tasting and say they represent 35 wineries with more than 100 wines. I didn't get a chance to check them out when I traveled south, but would like to hear about it if you do.

Also Monterey is right near the Santa Lucia Highlands --- known for wonderful Pinot Noir. Siduri gets some of their grapes from that area. Want to visit there myself.

Will be happy to post some highlights of my trip when I get back if you guys are interested. Should I post it under this forum??

- winoweenie - 11-30-2004

Joe Swan and Scherrer are both along the Geyserville Rd in RRV. The reason I didn't include Dehlinger is Tom Closed his tasting room 4 years ago. WW

- lizardbrains - 12-01-2004

Please excuse me for drooling... I'm so envious! That sounds like quite an experience!!!

I was in Monterey during the summer, and walked by Taste of Monterey but it was closed so DH & I weren't able to go in. Sounds like a great idea.

From my small experience in Monterey, I wasn't impressed with the tasting rooms on the main street. They seemed utterly disturbed to see me, DH, and our 1 year old. They had much better things to do (apparently) than to even acknowledge us, not to mention even think of being polite enough to solicit our business. After about 20 minutes waiting for nothing, DH and I walked out. Very disappointed. I hope that's not how all Monterey tasting rooms are.

Anyways... sorry to butt in on the thread... I look forward to hearing about your experience in Napa/Sonoma!

-Elizabeth :-)

- Zinner - 12-01-2004

Geez, that's terrible that they weren't putting more in to pouring wines. I tend to speak up to people like that, politely but firmly. Maybe the wineries they were pouring for need to know.

I hope your experience in Santa Barbara county is much better.

I expect to have a blast in Napa/Sonoma. On to the fun.