WineBoard
Napa and Sonoma 2006 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Napa and Sonoma 2006 (/thread-15184.html)

- Kcwhippet - 08-17-2006

OK, OK, OK!!! So, I'm a procrastinator, but Dan has shamed me into this by his very quick posts on he and Anne's OR and WA trip.

So, we (Judy and I, our friend Don, caloforniagirl and her husband Tim) did Napa and Sonoma four days (cg and Tim had to leave @ noon Sunday).

We started at Lewelling and were hosted, as always, by Dave Wight in the backyard picnic area of their house under some really old, really huge trees. We had the 02 Napa Valley and Wight Vineyard Cabs (all they make) to start, followed by the 01's. Then Dave took some of us down to his cellar to grab something else. WOW! They have some really nice stuff, like Inglenook, BV Georges delaTour, and more, rom back to the 60's! Anyway, we came back up with a 97 Wight Vineyard - truly luscious and probably still 4 to 5 years from peak. BTW, the 02's seemed to close to ready, but the 01's probably stll had about 4 to 5 more before peak. Dave was helping us absorb his wines with some really nice baguettes and cheeses. The one I liked best was the Blue Castello from Bavaria, and if you can find some - get it. It goes very, very nicely with Cab.

After about two hours at Lewelling, we went to V. Sattui to get some food into us. They have a very nice deli and we picked up some good picnic food. Not surprisingly, everyone opted for WATER with the food. SIL Tim picked up some of their Madeira (he likes it).

After lunch, we made our way up Spring Mountain Rd. to Pride Mountain Winery. We all tasted what they were pouring, and despite all the hype I've heard about them all over the place, none of us really liked anything they poured. It all tasted overoaked and a bit bitter. I don't know if it was a function of what we had for lunch (I don't think so) or what, but it was a real disappointment. Regardless, I picked up a bottle of their 05 Viognier to try later.

So, that was day 1 after which we continued down the mountain to Santa Rosa and our hotel. For dinner that night we went to Mirepoix in Windsor just a bit up 101. This is a truly fine restaurant, and if you get out there, you must try it.

I have to get dinner ready for Judy, so I'll continue this later. BTW, dinner is grilled rib eyes and baked potatoes with a nice young Napa Cab - maybe a Lewelling.

- hotwine - 08-17-2006

Nice notes, KC. Keep 'em coming!

- TheEngineer - 08-17-2006

Great Notes KC. I also agree with you on Pride Mountain....though they did have a viognier + some spirit mix that was very nice....the rest appeared to be well too oaky and strong for me. (their current releases.)

- Bucko - 08-18-2006

Piling on, I have always thought Pride Mtn was overhyped, overoaked, overextracted ... not my cup of tea.

- dananne - 08-18-2006

Thanks for the notes!

Anne and I will be out there for a wedding next August, so we'll be sure to use the recommendations!