WineBoard
Napa trip - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Napa trip (/thread-15182.html)

- brappy - 04-16-2007

Hattie and I returned home a couple of weeks ago from an 8 day trip to Napa and San Fran. When we arrived home, I was greeted with a bulging disc. Painful to say the least. The disc is in the upper section of my back between the shoulder blades. Because of this, I've not been able to type or sit in this chair. the last couple of weeks have been spent laying on my back taking all sorts of pain killers, muscle relaxers, and a ton of Ibuprofen.(sp).
It's much better now, but I'll still be brief.

First day, we stopped by Havens. This is a new winery for me. Tasted through thier line-up: Napa Merlot, a couple of Syrahs, and a Cab Sauv. But the best that they offer is a wine called Black and Blue. The blend is 50/50 estate Cab/Syrah. Truly outstanding.

Next, off to Beringer. Going through thier tour is a history lesson on the Napa Valley. Tasted nothing new here but always enjoy thier wines. By the way, the '06 aluvium Blanc is a great summer wine (QPR).

We had lunch at St. Clement out on thier patio overlooking the valley. Thier wines are still impressive. I still laugh at the naming of Oroppas.

Later, we had a meeting at wine-maker Gary Wooten's house to taste a few of his wines. We were supposed to be there for an hour and a half....... five hours later we were all saying our goodbyes. Unbelievable Cab Franc he puts out. (He has two labels: Smith-Wooten and Croze)

Next day, after a few cups of Coffee, we had a tour of Stags' Leap Winery. This was probably the most beautiful home on our tour. They're still producing great wines. The Petite Syrah was the favorite there.

Then off to Regusci. These wines always impress me. The winemaker was not in, so we went to the tasting room of his private label, Hope and Grace. Tasted through the wines here. I believe thier flagship wine was the Malbec. But my clear favorite is thier Cab Sauv. Great juice. I'm trying to get this in the restaurant. I have to educate them on the new law in Maryland. I had them ship a case to my mother-in-laws just in case.

Heading back to Stags Leap District, we had a tour at Pine Ridge. Now this is a tour worth taking. It took awhile but was well worth it. Barrel samples of several wines finished up with tasting the bottles of the same wines (different years of course). Great cave system. And once again, great wines. The Chenin/viognier blend is a great summer wine.

We then stopped by Louis Martini. Can't get enouph of that Lot 1 Cab Sauv. And really, this is a great QPR. Of course, some would argue thier Monte Rossa Cab Sauv. is better.

And off to San Fran we went for the weekend.

Monday morning we started at Etude. Although they pride themselves on thier Pinot Noir, it's thier Cab Sauvs I can't get enouph of. We picked up some of thier Rutherford single vineyard Cab which we can't get here in Maryland.

I wanted to stop by Heitz, so we did and got quite a reception. They poured the 5 or 6 wines they had out for tasting. We were the only ones there, so they started opening some other wines. One of which was an '88 Martha's vineyard. Unbelievable wine. Great conversation, and now the restaurant is picking up a vertical of Martha's and a couple others. We also picked up a couple bottles of Port made from an Italian grape I'd have to look up to even come close to spelling it right. They ended up opening about 15 bottles.

We stopped by a few other places before we ended up at Hendry's. Great educational tour and complete tasting of his wines. Although the Zinfandel Block 7 is what turned me onto this winery, it was his meritage blend that I fell in love with. Have a case of that coming. They put us up for the night in a modest home overlooking the vineyards. Had a great time that evening. Opened up a Zinfandel from Joseph Swan, '74. I took notes and will post these later in the correct area.

Next day, we headed out to Frog's Leap. Nice tour and thier wines did not disappoint. Thier Sauv Blanc is not my favorite but whatch out for thier Cab and Rutherford blend.

Then off to Elizabeth-Spencer. They were very proud of thier Pinots but once again it was thier Cab that stopped me in my tracks. '03 Cab that is. [img]http://wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] I'll be picking this one up for the restaurant as well.

After a couple other stops we made our way up to Cain. That's a hike. Tasted through 3 of thier wines. Also got a barrel sample of thier Petit Verdot. Great mountain fruit. This is when the back pain started.

We still tasted a couple of things the next morning. I'll post on some of these when the wines actually make it here, instead of sitting in Virginia (Mother-in-law's).

Over all, great trip.

Getting off this puter before my back decides its time to pinch another nerve.

mark

- winoweenie - 04-16-2007

Well Brapster you had a VERY busy schedule. Sounds like some serious fun. Sorry about the back. Know first-hand how debiltating it can be as CB went thru over 3+ weeks of pain from 2 lower disks before her Chinese Acupucturist got back in town. She swears it's the only thing that really helps. WW

- brappy - 04-16-2007

Never even thought to try that.... I'll look into it. Thanks.

- wondersofwine - 04-16-2007

Sorry about the back pain, Mark. That can really be miserable.

- TheEngineer - 04-17-2007

Nice notes!!! Sounds like you were making this a business trip!! So many places.

I stopped this time at Louis Martini's too and it was my first visit there. As they were closing, they only poured us two wines and one of them was the No.1 that you were talking about. Nice wine! At $95 I did not buy any though. There was another wine in the $60 dollar range that had like an artist series to the label. I like that one too!

When did you go? I went up last weekend too (Friday and Saturday and ran into Bill Harlan at Harlan's office across from the Taylor's Refreshers....there is NO signage on the store) When I was at Heitz, they had an 1998 Bella opened (on Saturday). I wish I could've tasted an 88 Martha's How was it...was it still youngish or is it a Drink now or very soon wine... I've become a believe if their wines in a short amount of time...meet the son of the wine maker there (Can't remember his name but he is starting to learn apparently...looks like he just got his driver's license......)

Went into Silver Oak to bring a friend in and the old building has been COMPLETELY demolished....flat land now. Groth is also renovating....so both wineries main buildings down this street are in some state of disarray.

I still can't get into Caymus but had a 2004 special selection last night....boy...it was a treat...

That Barbaque joint at the south part of Napa Valley is gone now (can't remember the name but they had big plastic pigs out front on the west side of I-29.) It's now some Mexican joint with barbacue...

- brappy - 04-18-2007

Yep, business/pleasure. I had pleasure doing business. Or something like that.

I didn't realize Harlan's office was across from Taylor's. Did you happen to stop there for a bite? The garlic butter fries were great.

The '88 Martha's was mature but has another 10 years to go. Or so I believe. Did you happen to taste the '01 Bella Oaks? Another great wine...

That Mexican restaurant wouldn't happen to be the "Red Hen", would it? We ate once and had drinks twice there. Was in Napa from 3-28 to 4-4.

Good times.....

mark

- TheEngineer - 04-19-2007

I love the garlic fries. Always have that with a blue cheese burger! I have tasted the 01 bella before and I agree, it is another great wine!

Actually tried this time to go up to Lewelling on KC's pointer but I never found it....gonna have to bug KC fer directions this time.....

- winoweenie - 04-19-2007

Catch him 'afore lunch so his faculties are still working. Other-wise he'll give you directions to Santa Rosa. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img](giggle,snort)

- Kcwhippet - 04-19-2007

Eng, Lewelling isn't open to the public, so you have to make an appointment. Next time you go out, call Dave Wight at 707-963-1685 or email him at lewvyds@napanet.com and tell him I sent you. Getting to the house is easy. You take 29 to St. Helena and right after you pass Prager on the left, you'll take a left onto Sulfur Springs Ave at Zumwalt Ford. About 1/2 mile down, after you pass Arrowhead Dr. on the left, there will be a dirt road and you'll go left. You then come to Lewelling Lane and you take a right then a left into the front yard of Dave's place about 200 feet. Prager is at Rt 29 and Lewelling Lane, but you can't get to Dave's place that way because Lewelling Lane is blocked off right past Prager. Easy to find on Google Maps.

- TheEngineer - 04-19-2007

Ahhhh.......

I can see clearly now.....

- winoweenie - 04-20-2007

I tolt you to get him afore his bottle at lunch...WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- TheEngineer - 05-09-2007

Brappy, Driving by today, I think the sign read La Lavas and BBQ.....I gotta get new glasses...

- brappy - 05-09-2007

Eng, You are the travelin' man..... Lucky you. What wineries are you hitting? Can't wait to hear about it!

mark