WineBoard
Planning a Napa/Sonoma trip - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Planning a Napa/Sonoma trip (/thread-15169.html)

- neo-oeno - 12-11-2006

My wife and I are heading out to Napa and Sonoma this month. Unfortunately we only have four days to spend between the two. I have been reading through some of the earlier posts in this forum, but would appreciate new input on this thread. It would be incredibly helpful if anyone who cares to comment might post any pluses or minuses (especially ones to avoid) about visiting any of the following vineyards or might suggest any must sees that I have missed. It will be our first visit so we do want to visit some of the standards before branching too far off the beaten path. Obviously this list is larger than the actual number we will be able to visit:

Hess Collection
Artesa
Stag's Leap
V. Satturi
Robert Mondavi/Opus One
Iron Horse
Cakebread
Beaulieu Vineyard
Rutherford Hill Vineyard
Alexander Valley Vineyard
Schug Carneros Estate Winery
Ravenswood
Benziger Family Winery
Clos Pegase
Clos du Val
Frog's Leap
Cline Cellars
Duckhorn
Buena Vista Winery

Thank you in advance for your input!

- dananne - 12-11-2006

First of all, welcome to the board.

If you'll look down this thread for two posts from a member named Kcwhippet, you'll find a wealth of information that will help guide you. I believe they were posted in Aug./Sept.

Also, look for Napa/Sonoma posts from Winoweenie and Glass_A_Day, both of whom have visited in the past year or so.

Have a great trip, and make sure you return and post on your experiences. We'll be out there next August.

- bigredwines - 12-13-2006

We were in Napa the first part of nov. and our most memorable wine tasting was with Todd Anderson at Anderson Conn Vally.Our tour and tasting lasted 3 and 1/2 hours. IMHO Todd is making some of the most remarkable juice comming out of Napa.I've been to Napa 3 times and this is the first time I visited Todd.This will be a must see from now on.You need to call to make reservations.

- neo-oeno - 12-18-2006

Thanks for the tips. I'll post on the trip upon our return.

- wondersofwine - 12-18-2006

If you like Pinot Noir, you may want to include some Russian River wineries such as Gary Farrell, and Susie Selby. I don't think Williams Selyem has tastings. They may require advance notice or appointments for tasting. Not sure as I have visited Napa wineries but not Sonoma. May be going sometime this year.

- CellarRat - 12-22-2006

The last time I was in Napa I was lucky enough to have a private tasting with Mark Beringer of Duckhorn. Great winemaker and really good winemaking methods. Jac Cole and the crew over at Spring Mountain changed the way I drink wine. Please do yourself a favor and check these places out. They're both Fresno State grads so I may be a little biased.

- winoweenie - 12-22-2006

CR if you go back a tad you'll find many posts we've made on our tastings at Duckhorn. Dan D is a personal friend and one of the real gentlemen in the wine industry. WW

- CellarRat - 12-23-2006

WW...tell him I need a job this fall! Thats great to hear though. Far too many shady people in this business. Let him know that his wines have influenced many young student winemakers over here at Fresno State. Happy Holidays.

- winoweenie - 12-24-2006

Hi CR. I've supported the progam at Fresno States' Enology school by buying cases of their juice when I used to drive to Napa 6-8 times a year. Good luck in your chosen profession. Hope to see your name on the back of some killer juice. WW

- neo-oeno - 12-31-2006

Just back from Napa/Sonoma. The wife and I started off at Opus One just for the experience. The tour was very comprehensive and enjoyable and while I liked having the opportunity to do a tasting, I disliked the price. We also went to Clos Pegase and really enjoyed the artwork as well as the wine.
The next day brought V. Sattui and a picnic lunch after tasting a mammoth selection of wines with a very friendly staff. We headed out to Stag's Leap which offered both an excellent tour and the tasting was unbelievable. We tried Fay, SLV, and Cask 23 which were definitely on another level from what I normally buy (read: can afford). We also visited Hess which had a very interesting art gallery in addition to some wines that we both really enjoyed.
The third day started with a trip to Jack London State Park for an early morning hike. We then headed down the hill to The Benziger Family Winery whose tram tour was a great introduction to the biodynamic system. While we didn't get to taste Tribute, we did enjoy a number of their wines particularly their Cab. We also visited Schug which was somewhat disappointing. Finally we ended the day of tasting at Buena Vista and absolutely loved their Reserve Syrah and Pinot Noir.
On our way back to San Francisco we stopped at Imagery both to admire the display of the original artwork which is featured on their bottles as well as a final tasting. Their Malbec, Cab Franc, and Viognier were very good and the staff was great!
Thank you for all of the suggestions. We definitely need to make a return trip in the future.

[This message has been edited by neo-oeno (edited 12-31-2006).]

- Innkeeper - 12-31-2006

Sounds like a great trip, and our folks were more than happy to help you out.

- Glass_A_Day - 12-31-2006

One important thing I found out is that even if you don't have an exact plan, there are so many great places that you can't miss. They are all so close together and well signed you will find yourself at places that you never thought of.