WineBoard
Offline in Baltimore area? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Offline in Baltimore area? (/thread-15165.html)

Pages: 1 2

- wondersofwine - 09-13-2006

I plan to be in Baltimore area October 8 and 9th (a Sunday and Monday). Any chance for an offline with Drew and Eileen and Brappy (Mark) on one of those dates? October 9 is the Columbus Day holiday. Any other board contributors in the area who would be interested?

- brappy - 09-14-2006

I'm VERY interested. I'm still waiting on some schedules to come my way, but I should find out by Monday or Tuesday (9/18; 9/19). I'll let you know then.

Thanks for the invite,

mark

- Drew - 09-14-2006

I could be tempted also, pending lookin' at my schedule...will let you know.

Drew

- wondersofwine - 09-14-2006

Thanks for responding. Will watch for your replies. I know it is a little early to pin down schedules but I wanted to get in a bid early.

- brappy - 09-14-2006

Hey Drew,
My wife, Hattie, just told me she went to what I think is your office (Argonne St.) not long ago for staff development. She's a teacher for the blind/poor vision students. Just thought it was interesting.

mark

- wondersofwine - 10-04-2006

Okay, guys. How is it looking for Sunday or Monday? I'm flexible as to where we meet. I will be staying at Country Inn & Suites Bel Air, Bel Air East at I-95 Riverside, 1435 Handlir Drive but will have my car.

- brappy - 10-04-2006

I'm good Monday evening...... I don't know Bel Air at all, so that's probably Drew's department.

I will suggest a restaurant in Baltimore named Abacrombie. They, I believe, allow BYO. The restaurant is across the street from the Meyerhoff. Maybe that's too far? Let me know.

Also, wine theme? or just whatever is good?

mark

[This message has been edited by brappy (edited 10-04-2006).]

- brappy - 10-04-2006

Nevermind, I just went to the website and it appears they are not open on Mondays.

I'm willing to drive into Baltimore. The Black Olive (Greek food) in Fells Point is open Mondays (not sure about Purple Orchid on Pratt--one website says open Monday, another indicates closed Mondays). I could maybe contact Black Olive and ask about corkage fees. They might charge a set fee like $25 and then not charge for additional bottles. And we could bring our own glasses if that would help. If Drew and Eileen can make it I was thinking of bringing a Zin (Drew likes Zinfandels), and a Pinot Noir. What are your favorite grapes Mark? At this point I have a pretty eclectic collection and could bring a sample in many areas (but not South American or many Rhones). Some restaurants will waive the corkage fee if you buy one wine off their list.

Here's another option. Paolo's on Light St. in the Inner Harbor. Says they have great views and they welcome personal bottles but a corkage fee applies. (Part of a chain of four locations--Georgetown, Towson, etc.).

- brappy - 10-04-2006

That's fine with me. That is even further for you but closer for me. I would like to defer to you for all decisions. Tell me when, where, and what and I'll be happy. If you could, tell me wine theme as soon as possible; If I don't have something worth a damn, I want to get it.
BTW, Hattie will come with me so count us as two.

mark

- brappy - 10-04-2006

Sorry, I missed your first post. I'm up for any grape. I have some zins that I think you'll like. I have other stuff I believe you'll like also. Pinots are my weak spot but let me know if this is what you want. Your posts suggests this is the area you enjoy; Let me know as soon as possible so I can get something worthwhile.

mark

- wondersofwine - 10-05-2006

I do like Pinot Noir but also Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Zinfandels, Spanish reds, etc. so whatever you want to bring I will enjoy trying. I'm glad Hattie will join us.
I have an inquiry in to Paolo about corkage fee and will check with Black Olive also. My name is Jane btw.

- wondersofwine - 10-05-2006

I think I have the place now. We need to set the time. Samos Restaurant in Greektown allows BYOB. I will call tonight and make sure they are open on Columbus Day holiday. Address is 600 Oldham St. (off Eastern Boulevard). About one block south of Eastern Boulevard according to the Internet map (which may not show every street) and between Newkirk and Ponca Streets. It looks to be near Fleet Street, possibly at the corner of Oldham and Fleet Streets. Greek food in the homecooked style plus burgers, subs, crabcakes, etc. Said to have great lamb dishes and red snapper, very tasty mousaka, great Greek salads and nice desserts. Friendly owners. Not a fancy dining place (no white tablecloths or valet parking) but sounds fun and reasonably priced. Would 6:00 PM be okay? I could make it 6:30 or 7:00 but if you or Hattie is working the next day you may want to get an earlier start. My e-mail is crabillj@soc.mil if you want to furnish a cell phone number in case either of us is running late. I can only access my e-mail through 5:00 PM tomorrow. I could also furnish my cell phone number by e-mail but don't want to put it on the board. Looking forward to meeting you and Hattie. Haven't heard from Drew and Eileen.

- wondersofwine - 10-06-2006

I will be leaving work shortly and won't be able to access my e-mail. I will plan to be at Samos Restaurant, 600 Oldham St. (near Oldham and Fleet Streets a block south of Eastern Bouldevard) in Baltimore Monday evening at 6:00 PM. Ponca runs parallel to Oldham one block further east according to the Internet map and Fleet Street may be in two disconnected sections, one in Fells Point and one in Greektown section where Samos is located. Hope it all works out! The reservation will be for a table for three under Jane Crabill.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 10-06-2006).]

- brappy - 10-06-2006

Jane,

Just got home and saw your post. And then looked at the time. If you see this, I'll be at work on Sat. from 9:30am - 11:00pmish; Sunday at the same time; and Monday from 8:00am until roughly 4:30pm. I work at the Oregon Grille in Hunt Valley.

The time and place are fine with me.

Thanks for setting this up and we'll see you then.

mark

- winoweenie - 10-08-2006

WOW I talked with Drew yesterday and he said he hadn't seen your post on the off-line. He might be busy with a grand-chilluns B/D but am sure he'll at least make an effort. Have fun you wild and crazy kids. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Drew - 10-08-2006

Gosh I'd forgotten about this since my 9/14 post due to the new grandchild, work and all. I'm completely tied up on Sunday and Monday, Wow. You're doing the right thing by going into the city. There's really nothing special in terms of Restaurants or wine bars in Belair. Sorry I'll miss out on all the fun. Brappy, tell your wife to introduce herself to me the next time she's in the building. My office is right off the lobby.

Drew

- brappy - 10-09-2006

Just got back. Samos, the restaurant we went to, was great. The food was wonderful. No salt needed to season. The corkage was $2/person. Not per bottle, but per person. We opened up 6 bottles. Wonders took some notes, so hopefully she'll share.

It was great meeting Wonders. Her passion for wine shows; it was a real treat to share food, wine, and conversation. I look forward to the next time. Can't wait to see her notes, especially on the '99 zin and the '99 Darting ice wine.

Thanks again Wonders for putting this together,

mark (and Hattie)

- wondersofwine - 10-11-2006

A great evening! I didn't take extensive notes but will post them after my work day ends (after 5:00 PM). Brappy (Mark) and Hattie were fun and interesting and brought some nice wines to share. I loved the food and the staff were as friendly as Internet notes indicated. Brappy shared the wines with the chef and offered them to the server also. He's already looking forward to revisiting Samos with some of his wine-inclined friends. I hope to meet up with Mark and Hattie again some time and maybe Drew and Eileen also next time.

I'll post my notes in a new thread under Rants and Raves.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 10-11-2006).]