WineBoard
Charging for tasting at wineries. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Charging for tasting at wineries. (/thread-15162.html)

- MRM - 01-07-1999

I would like there to be a systme or symbol
in the guides and on the outside of the
winery buildings so that one knows ahead of
time if a winery charges money for tasting
their wine. Instead of the current systme
where one goes there, parks, goes in and then
finds this little but cute sign informing you
of their policy. TNX

- Bucko - 01-07-1999

I personally believe that ALL wineries should charge a $5 tasting fee, refundable with a purchase of wine. Too many people abuse the tasting rooms with no consideration for the winery or tasting room personnel whatsoever. I don't see how that they can keep smiling, and I understand why many wineries prefer to stay closed.

Bucko

- Jerry D Mead - 01-07-1999

I understand the need to charge tasting fees at the busiest sites, if nothing else to eliminate the "tire kickers." But back in my salad days (admittedly a long time ago) many would have lost me by doing so. I could not have afforded to pay fees AND buy wine, though obviously I was serious about my new-found interest in wine.

Also, just because one doesn't buy at the tasting room doesn't mean one doesn't buy. It being cumbersome to travel with quantities of wine, I made notes and bought the wine from retailers when I got home. The only wines I bought in wine country were the few (back in the olden days) that could be purchased only at the winery...like some of Louis Martini's "Special Selection" and "Private Reserve" wines and that great Moscato Amibile.

JDM

- hncjc - 01-07-1999

Actually, when I went to California this summer I did not mind the tasting charges at some wineries -- particularly those that served some of their reserve or better wines that way. A good example to me was Berringer, which provided a free tasting for their standard wines, but allowed one to taste the reserve and other special wines for a fee.

Phelps, which I otherwise loved, did not do this. I would have loved to taste some of their, for example sweet wines, which I can only sometimes find here in DC. They did not have any mechanism for doing this.

At Chateau Montelena, they charged a fee . But they provided tastes of the 1995 and 1996 Cabernet, not the Calistoga Cuvee. So, I got what I wanted.

- Enophile - 01-07-1999

Jerry, I've gotta agree with you here. I really dislike having to shell out $5 at every winery. Especially when you're charged for those useless, lame tasting room glasses. If a winery is pouring something estra-special, I don't mind it, but to taste 3 overoaked wines, it's just a joke. I won't go back to places where I feel like it's a ripoff to taste. Some of the best wineries don't charge at all.

- Roberta - 01-09-1999

I'd agree with Jerry and Eno. I don't mind a fee for special or reserve tastes.

- MRM - 01-09-1999

My quibble is not with the choice of charging or not charging. Personally, I resent being charged to taste (not get drunk on, darn it), usually with the charge taken off you assumed purchase, when the reason I am there to taste is to see if I want to drink the wine. The vast majority of the time the answer is no. Either the wine is not what I want, too expensive or both. I have have purchased many cases of wine at tasting rooms when I really liked the wine. The point of the original submittal was to define a system or symbol for wineries that charge to let me know ahead of my arrival, so that I may make an informed wine tour. Magazines aready use a phone symbol for those wineries you have to call ahead to.

- hncjc - 01-10-1999

If you are seeking information on who charges and who does not, I believe that the wine spectator's book on touring California wineries provides this information. Also, you might want to check out their web site.

- Negron Fan - 01-11-1999

I have seen both sides of this issue...as a Tasting Room staff member and as a consumer. We never had much of a problem with tasting fees at the winery (they were only chaged to large groups). And rightfully so on that count...the larger the group, the less wine you generally will sell.

From the consumer side, I don't mind, as others have said, paying a fee for special or some reserve wines...but they'd have to be special...I mean, name a winery without the word reserve on a bottle somewhere.

In Santa Barbara last year, we were charged $2 per person at each winery and given a logo glass....as if I don't have enough of those already....not to mention the fact that I use my Reidels for everyday wine enjoyment, so a $2 glass doesn't cut it for me. (Okay, make that a $1.30 glass at wholesale LOL).

Kathy