WineBoard
Concord wine? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Home Winemaking (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-39.html)
+--- Thread: Concord wine? (/thread-15134.html)

Pages: 1 2

- willp58 - 11-15-2004

I have a 5 gallon batch of wine brewing and it's from Concord grapes, which grow around here in Western NYS.
There are a few wineries around here and I stopped at the one called "Johnson's" to sample some dry wine made from Concord.
They don't make any. Only sweet wines made from Concord.
I wondered why they made no dry wine from Concords and the girl couldn't tell me the reason.
Are the Concords not good for making dry wine?

- Thomas - 11-16-2004

Will, I think that is the reason. Concord has such overpowering "grapey-ness" that as a dry wine it truly tastes strange.
Generally, dry wines have subtlety to them--except the fruit bombs of California and so-called Super Tuscan, Super Australian and super suds...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-16-2004).]

- willp58 - 12-01-2004

It's now Dec 1st and my "batch" has now settled down.
I racked this down once - 3 weeks after it started.. It looked like all activity was gone by then.
Today I sampled a little and found it to be yes a little "grapey". This is a dry wine made from Concord grapes.
All in all I think it's a keeper.

Ok now my main question:
Can I add some sugar to this wine only if I want to on a glass per glass basis??

I was thinking some Splenda instead of regular sugar. Does this make any sense??
Has anyone tried this?
Thanks,
BP

- Thomas - 12-02-2004

I do not recommend adding sugar to wine in the glass--you will likely never get it right and wind up throwing it away or suffering through an ugly taste. Even most dessert wines are only a few percent sugar by volume--hard to duplicate with a teaspoon...

If you want a sweet wine, best produce that way from the start, Will.

What is Splenda?

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-02-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 12-02-2004

My knowledge is limited but Splenda is a substitute for sugar that is supposed to have a better taste than substitutes in the past and that can be used in baking.

- hotwine - 12-02-2004

No fat, no carbs, but sweet like sugar.

- Thomas - 12-02-2004

OK, but what is Splenda made from?

No fat, no carbs, but sweet. Sounds like diet Coke: no fat, no calories, no sugar, no things, not even taste--expensive for nothing in the can...

- californiagirl - 12-02-2004

Okay- I threw my box away... but I believe Splenda is made from sugar- but is okay for the no-carb diets. I believe it is sugar alcohol. To me, it looks like snow. It is very light and fluffy. You can use it cup for cup to replace sugar in any recipe. No after taste like Sweet-N-Low and Equal.

I even use it in my homemade spaghetti sauce, and no one is the wiser. Not even KC.

- winoweenie - 12-03-2004

Foodie you'd be hard pressed to tell Splenda from sugar as it is indeed made from sugar. WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-03-2004

Well, now I know I've been scammed. No wonder I get these sugar urges when I'm at cg's.

- Thomas - 12-03-2004

CG, dispense with Splenda, or sugar, and use a sweet wine instead. It's as good at cutting the tomato acid and it keeps up with the wine program too.

Now, another question: if Splenda is sugar, how do they get the carbohydrates out?

- Kcwhippet - 12-03-2004

Actually, Splenda is sucralose, which has zero carbs. However, in granular form they use maltodextrose as a filler, which makes a teaspoon of granular Splenda have one half gram of carbs. The little tablets of Splenda are pure sucralose, so have no carbs at all. BTW, one teaspoon of pure refined cane sugar has about 5g of carbs, but other sugar sources have more. For instance, fructose has 8g of carbs per teaspoon.

- Thomas - 12-03-2004

Glucose is the one in wine--what's the carbs per bottle? Based on my growing paunch, it must be too mcuh for me.

Oh, and here's information that would make me definitely stay away from sucralose:

"Splenda, also known as sucralose, is artificial sweetener which is a chlorinated sucrose derivative."

In other words, it is a processed product that is extracted by way of chlorine. I don't like the sound of that. How say you Bucko? Are you there?

To Will--if he still with us on this: if there is any chlorine remaining in Splenda, you do not want to add it to wine. This is why I go natural whenever I can.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-03-2004).]

- californiagirl - 12-03-2004

foodie- I actually put wine in my sauce. What kind varies depending on what I have available.

I cook about 3 garlic cloves in EVOO and when that is the right color, I add about 3/4 bottle red wine. (1 glass for me.) I let that simmer/reduce with 2 bay leaves down to 1/2, then add tomato stuff and the rest of my spices. After that, I taste test whether I need the sugar or not.

What type of sweet wine are you refering to?

- Thomas - 12-04-2004

CG, I used to use dry red wine and sugar too, but I discovered that by using sweet wine (Madeira, Marsala) I get the wine flavor and the sweetness in one shot.

Just made a sardine/tomato sauce last night...mmmmmm.

Slice six fresh plum tomatoes, add a small can of diced tomatoes (in summer I add my own tomatoes--really don't like canned stuff, but no choice), frresh thyme and oregano leaves to taste, simmer.

Chop a shallot, saute in tablespoon oo for one minute. Chop two garlic cloves, add to the shallot and saute one more minute, then deglaze pan with 1/2 cup Madeira. Let burn off for a minute, add 1/2 cup stock (chicken or vegetable) and add the contents of the pan to the tomato sauce, plus some red pepper seeds.

If you can get fresh Portuguese sardines--great. First lightly saute them and then add to the sauce. If not fresh, another can is in order: one for each diner. Mix the sardines into the sauce and let simmer on low heat for about half an hour, stirring occasionally.

Grate some fresh reggiano, chop some parsley and put aside.

Boil water for penne--cook penne (al dente).

Put penne in plate, add grated reggiano, then the sauce, and then some parsely.

A nice Montepulciano D'Abruzzi and life doesn't get much better. This was dinner last night. With salad.

Glass of Offley LBV 1999 as dessert.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-04-2004).]

- californiagirl - 12-04-2004

Sounds great, foodie.

Looked around briefly at the grocery store, but wasn't impressed with their Marsala/Madiera selections. Figured that anything for $2.99 wasn't worth the ink the label is printed on.

- Kcwhippet - 12-05-2004

Maybe I should send you out one of our 'spensive ones. Got some really nice Madeiras, much too good for use in cooking.

- winoweenie - 12-05-2004

You're rite CG. The Madiera at the local super is un-drinkable. Take Dad up on his generous offer. Have a bottle of 1926 Madiera in the cellar to celebrate my 80th. Intend to drink that puppy totally by myself ( Well maybe CB will get a taste ). WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- californiagirl - 12-05-2004

We've got one of the Madeira's from V.Sattui left- but hubby would have my hide if I opened that. He also has a Sandeman Madeira from KC- but can't touch that either. The Ports and Madeiras are his....

- Thomas - 12-05-2004

"to celebrate my 80th"
Ten years afterwards???

WW, don't you wish I was right in front of you now?

CG, look for Rainwater Madeira. It's the least expensive of the lot, and good to cook with--not as sweet, but enough. I sometimes use a Ruby port--also can get them in low price; try Offley.

Tonight I'm going to make a sweet red pepper sauce for ravioli; that one will get a port--when I am home alone, I try to tone down the preparation, and since the kitchen is ALMOST finished, I'm saving the big guns for a celebration.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-05-2004).]