WineBoard
Syrah/Shiraz/Hermitage - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: Syrah/Shiraz/Hermitage (/thread-14802.html)

- andrawes76 - 01-29-2010

I really think there should be a seperate category for this grape. Its so substantial and part of California, Australia, France that it should be on its own. Don't you guys agree???

- Drew - 01-29-2010

YUP!

Drew

- winoweenie - 01-29-2010

+1 WW

- hotwine - 01-29-2010

Works for moi.

- Innkeeper - 01-29-2010

As the one who asked for the South American thread for years before it happened, I don't concur with this one. There is no reason why all these wines can't be posted under Rhone/South of France, Australia et al, or other threads. If you scroll down this thread, you can see that almost all the wines could be posted under an appropriate thread.

- Kcwhippet - 01-30-2010

I'm a bit ambivalent on this one. When I look in the Rhone folder, I see mostly Rhone reds, a few domestic Syrahs, and virtually no Shiraz. So, if the grape is already being covered well, why a new folder? On the other hand, if creating a new folder is no big deal and it makes people happy to have a distinct folder for the grape (like all the other grapes), then go for it.

Personally, there are two other folders I would like to see. First is a Beer folder. Very often, in the Food/Wine Affinities folder, beer is recommended over wine, but which beer? There are dozens of styles in hundreds of brands, and I'm sure many folks here drink a lot more beer than we're hearing about. For instance, last night with subs, I had a Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA and Judy had a Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout (from their Black Water series). Some of you here must be drinking at least a few of the exciting beers out there, I'm sure. Next is a folder for spirits. To be short, I like single malt Scotch, Tequila (and some other Mezcals), Bourbon, Armagnac, even a wonderful new vodka, Karlsson's GOLD. Again, I'm sure I'm not alone here in drinking other than just wine, so why not a folder for Spirits, too? The other forums (fori?) recognize that people drink more than just wine and have appropriate folders. We're better than they are, so why not give our folks the opportunity to expound on their other drinks? Nuff said - for now.

- hotwine - 01-30-2010

I'll support that.

(Like an old gigolo, I'll dance every step!)

- winoweenie - 01-30-2010

I sway wif' whatebber be on the air. +1. WW
( My only deviation from the grape is single malt. Dearly love my 18 year old Highland Park)

- VouvrayHead - 01-31-2010

Agreed. I'd love a spirits folder.
Syrah I could go either way on.
Beer, sadly, doesn't apply.

- Thomas - 02-01-2010

I've always thought that the folder format for this site is too inconsistent to begin with, but it is not my site and so I live with it. Now that you ask, Alex, you'll be sorry [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

The present mix of folders for countries, regions, and grape varieties seems to have neither rhyme nor reason, and of course, they leave open these kinds of discussions, as many countries, regions and varieties are left out.

Seems to me that a forum for separate countries is all that is needed. Inside the folder, the headings for each post would tell everyone what's being talked about.

Wine is such a vast subject it is impossible to pin it down in a list.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-01-2010).]

- wondersofwine - 02-01-2010

Adding my two cents, basically I like the topic approach and wouldn't mind additional headings for spirits, etc. Sometimes I don't know whether to post an Oregon Pinot Noir under Northwest or Pinot Noir or a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc under the region or the grape, but I do like to look under Zinfandels for some suggestions of which ones to try or to see what wines from the Loire people are enjoying, etc.

- andrawes76 - 02-02-2010

I also think we should have a folder for beer and spirits. I must admit in advance I hardly ever touch hard liquor. I know the love, but it doesn't love me back... :-)

Beer and Spirits, another vote for yes. I can live without separate category. Just wanted to get the overall sense of it out there...

- Thomas - 02-02-2010

Will we have seances for the spirits?