WineBoard
Hawaii wines Volcano Winery - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: Hawaii wines Volcano Winery (/thread-14783.html)

- TheEngineer - 07-27-2007

Interesting winery and nice people. They were very pleasant and let me try all of their wines with no fee (imagine that in Napa...). Tried all six wines starting with the reds first and then moving from white to desserts.

Volcano Red. I think that this was Carigan blended with a native berry called jaboticaba berries. The wine was well very light bodied with some berry notes and cranberry (same tartness feel) and a bit hot at the finish.

Volcano Blush: I think that this wine is mostly jaboticaba berries. Pleasant and easy to drink and simple.

Symphony Dry: My first dry white from something called a Symphony grape (another notch to the century club). The grape is rather fragrant with nose of peach and lychee. Nice light but lacking in density. Still a reasonable glass.

Symphony Mele: was the same as the Symphony dry but they left some residual sugar in it. I preferred this to the dry as it appeared to leave a bit more flavour in the galss too. Interesting enough to bring home a bottle.

Hawaiian Guava Wine: I think this is a Guava, jaboticaba berries and Symphony blend (so fruit with grapes). Interesting, mostly guava flavoured watered down. Golden in color though like a Chardonnay.

Macadamia Nut Honey Wine: This was the one that I wanted to try. A wine made strictly from the honey of bees feeding strictly on Macademian nut plants. The wine is very light in colour like watered down honey. There is a huge Macademian nut nose (interesting that honey can taste so different depending on the flowers that the bees use... I love trying the various types). Wine was very light in texture though but interesting enough to bring home a bottle.

- winoweenie - 07-27-2007

There've been several bottlings of Symphony done in Calif but, as usual with them SWs', I can't remember whodunnit. WW

- wondersofwine - 07-27-2007

I believe Ironstone Obsession combines Symphony and another white wine grape and also Baywood Cellars (Central Coast, CA) has made a Symphony Late Harvest wine in the past that I found attractive. I don't know if they have one currently.

- TheEngineer - 07-28-2007

I've never seen it before. I'll keep an eye out next time as maybe another producer had more luck with it. I still remember the nose to be very pretty so it could be nice.

- Bucko - 07-29-2007

I lived in Hawaii for two years while stationed with the military. The only good thing there is the diving and scenery, not the wineries.

Tedeschi Vineyards on Maui is fun to visit and the views are terrific, but the wines are mediocre at best.

Volcano Winery's best offering is the Symphony wine. Ironstone, Chateau de Baun, Michael-David, Cameo and Sebastiani are the only wineries I know of stateside that made/make this wine.

Symphony is a cross between two French vinifera varieties: Muscat of Alexandria and Grenache Gris. It has some interesting characteristics IMO and makes a fun summer quaffer.

- Drew - 07-29-2007

The Golf Channel has been highlighting the Volcano Winery this morning as a side story in reference to golf vacations. Interesting.

Drew