WineBoard
Aged Sake - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: Aged Sake (/thread-14730.html)

- ShortWiner - 11-18-2003

Hanahato Kijoshu Sake, aged 8 years. I had a glass last night at the brand new Mandarin Oriental Hotel off Columbus Circle. I have a friend who loves fancy hotel bars, and he convinced me to meet him there. The bar is on the 35th floor, looking south down Broadway. Beautiful spot. So I picked this $12 glass of sake because I was curious. It had the deep brown color of Sherry, and some similar nutty-sweet aromas, but also a sort of not unpleasant fermented quality, almost like a hint of the sea. Nuts and dried fruit palate, full bodied and very smooth, semi-sweet, with a very clean albeit somewhat abrupt finish. Served chilled. A very interesting experience.

- Thomas - 11-18-2003

Yeah, I have tried and tried but cannot take to Sake. We have that Jewel Bako place down the street from us--great Japanese food (especially the eel sushi, my word what an experience). The owner tries to get me to drink Sake, and I give it a chance, but I like the wine list better.

Don't know what it is about fermented rice that turns me off, but I suspect it is because it is not as dimensional a drink as wine.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-18-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 11-18-2003

Foodie,

You'll just have to try a Nigori style of a Ginjo sake, particularly with a spicier dish.

SW,

Aged sakes are few and far between, since they're made to be drunk very young ala Beaujolais Nouveau or NZ Sauvignon Blancs. I've yet to find an aged sake I really like.

There's a sakery in Oregon that's the first truly American owned one - SakeOne. All the rest are Japanese owned. SakeOne is making some excellent Ginjo and even Daiginjo sakes now that are good enough to be imported into Japan. They even have some infused sakes, but I can't quite get into that style yet.

- Innkeeper - 11-18-2003

I have always thought they should be drunk young too. I have one that a Japanese Music Professor brought to me several years ago, after I found him a place to stay for the summer. It's never been opened, and have no idea what to do with it.

- ShortWiner - 11-18-2003

This one was quite good, and clearly a very different beast from normal sake. Probably it was aged in wood--the Sherry-like qualities were striking.

- wondersofwine - 11-18-2003

Interesting report ShortWiner. I may have the opportunity to sample sake if I go to Mo'Cool again this summer. The theme is likely to be wines/beverages from Axis countries, Germany, Italy, and sake from Japan.

- winoweenie - 11-18-2003

If you notice a void on the Cab thread tonite it's because we have a brand-new sushi joint that opened round the corner from our house called " Sushi-Q ". Delightful Sushi, Shashimi, and noodles. So I had a couple bottles of premium cold Sake but didn't pay attention to the brand. Make a killer terriyaki Eel and 5 different spicy hand rolls. Will go thru lots of this fishies in a short period. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- quijote - 11-18-2003

Oh, man, eel sushi is sublime.... All sushi is sublime.... Too bad it's not very budget-friendly.

- Kcwhippet - 11-18-2003

Cute name, ww. There's a brew pub in Boston right on the edge of Chinatown called Brew Moon. I've always wondered if the name was meant to be a play on words intentionally.

- winedope1 - 11-18-2003

mmmm... sushi!

- Georgie - 11-18-2003

Eeeuw, Sushi! I keep trying it...I keep hating it!

- Kcwhippet - 11-19-2003

Sushi is merely vinegared rice, with toppings. Sometimes the toppings are raw fish, but often not. In our local place, I don't even order. The head guy sees us when we come in and he justs starts making a variety of sushi until I say stop. Judy doesn't eat any fish, so she usually has a chicken caesar salad.

- winoweenie - 11-19-2003

Had lunch there yesterday. Great prices for the quality. 5 pieces of Sushi, seaweed salad, 5 pieces of Tempura including 2 shrimp, and rice all for 6 bucks.Will soon join the fav jernt circle. WW

- Kcwhippet - 11-19-2003

Hey, Foodie. Are there any sushi places near Glenora, or is that too much to ask for?

- winedope1 - 11-19-2003

WW- that's a really good deal! We have several really good sushi restaurants around here and a couple of the better supermarkets are also carrying it in response to consumer demand. Most of it is even good for you! WD