WineBoard
South American wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: South American wines (/thread-14644.html)

- brappy - 02-26-2006

OK, the tasting For our wine group is a week away. The topic is South American. This gives us all a lot of room to find wines. I was going to bring the entire line-up of Cantena until today when one of the suppliers brought 3 bottles of the line-up to donate to the cause. -(Bravo)- Now, I'm starting from scratch. I know knowledge of this area is sparse for most, including myself. I'm still hoping and praying someone here knows some great south American wines. Time to be specific:

I want to find a chardonnay that has similar qualities to Russian river Chards or white Burgundies - if there is any. Translation: I like some oak and some malo if all is balanced well. I'm not looking for an unoaked Chard unless someone can suggest something that is out of this world.

I want a Cab or Cab blend that resembles a Cab-predominate Bordeaux or Meritage from Cali. Impossible? Maybe, but if you know of one, I'd like to know it.

I want a Malbec that screams at me.

I want any other wine that someone has had that is outragous. Something that bellows: taste and drink me.....I'm that good!

Thanks in advance,

mark

[This message has been edited by brappy (edited 02-25-2006).]

- TheEngineer - 02-26-2006

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately I know very little about South American wines but am interested in what the results are. Please post when you have the event. Have fun!

- Kcwhippet - 02-26-2006

I'm almost out of here, so I'll be brief. Check out some of the great Argentinians, like Susana Balbo - two labels (Susana Balbo and Crios). Also, Ben Marcos, made by Pedro Marchevsky, Balbo's husband. In the Catena vein, look for Luca, owned by Laura Catena - daughter of. Later.

- VouvrayHead - 02-26-2006

I can't help you with most of it... but,

Kaiken Ultra Malbec is rockin' good.

Montes Alpha Syrah is excellent, too...
both around $20, i think...

(Montes regular Syrah is mediocre, so make sure it's the Alpha)

- Deputy - 02-26-2006

I can only recommend wines that have been recommended to me, as I haven't tried many of these:

Chile - Carmen Grande Reserve Carmenere Cab Sauv

Chile - Errazuriz Cabs (a real favourite of my friend)

Argentina - 2003 Melipal Malbec (a 91 pt, I think?), Altos Los Hormigas Malbec as well as the reserve of same

Good luck!

- newtoowine - 02-26-2006

I recently had Bodega Norton Privada 2003 from Argentina. Malbec, CS, and Merlot mix.

- Innkeeper - 02-26-2006

Really like whites from the other parts of the Southern Hemisphere. Reds tho, we can help you with.

Chile: Escudo Roja. This a Meritagelike blend for Domaine Rothchild. We usally keep it for a couple of years after release. Current vintages are running $14-$15. It is really the only Chilian wine that we really liked. Most are filled with green pepper flavors that I decidedly don't like.

Argentina: Much to choose from. For Cabs look for those from Bodegas Salentein called Finca El Portillo. This is another Bordeaux (I think) owned operation. They have an "up scale" Cab that runs around $16. There is also a journeyman version that we enjoy as an everyday Cab that runs $8 or $9. We just picked up eight bottles of the '04 from Chambers Street as part of a mixed case.

- brappy - 02-27-2006

Hey, thanks for the responses. I'm actually having a difficult time finding some of these wines. I have located the Susana Balbo line-up. So I guess that's where I'm headed. I'll let you know how it goes.

mark

- Oenotheque - 02-28-2006

My 3 South American standbys for Cab are Clos Apalta, Montes Cuvee M, and Concha Y Toro Don Melchor. All 3 are fantastic and consistent vintage almost doesnt matter. The first 2 are fairly pricey $60-$70 but the Melchor (My favorite of the 3) can be had at Costco, Sams, BJs and usually for around $35. How would I describe it? Top tier cali cab with a very french mineral on the finish (paired with rare filet...heaven). If you were looking for the saddle leather earthy style that say Conn Valley or L'Ecole's Apogee attempt to emulate, this is not it. But it is one that I would tell everyone to take a look for.

If you find the 02 let it breath for 1.5 hours +- as it starts with a slightly herbacious nose that will completely dissipate as it opens and reveal the practically trademarked bing cherry nose with some shades of dark chocolate and pencil shavings in this one.

- Drew - 02-28-2006

Mark, a wonderful Mendoza Argentina Cabernet that is available in our market is the 2002 and 2003 Famiglia Bianchi. Terrific, elegant cab in and around $15. Cabernet Sauvignon 80-90 %.Typically blended with Malbec primarily and lesser amounts of Merlot according to their information.

Wine info:

http://www.vbianchi.com/vb/ingles/vinos/bianchi_famiglia_cabernet_sauvignon.htm

To view label:

http://www.southernwines.com/images/products/famiglia-bianchi-cabernet-sauvignon-2003.jpg

Drew

- brappy - 03-01-2006

Hey everyone,

I've compiled a list from all of your suggestions and handed that out to the participants. This should be a great tasting. I'll let you know how this turns out.

mark

- WestWine - 03-02-2006

Sorry I missed out on this earlier. I'm a huge fan of Bodegas Caro - both the Caro and the Amancaya are Cabernet/Malbec blends that are really stunning. It's a partnership between Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) and Nicolas Catena. Can't beat either of them with a steak right off the grill, although the Caro is smoother and rather more refined. I'll look forward to knowing how your tasting goes - Balbo is a favorite around here, too.