WineBoard
Michigan wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: Michigan wines (/thread-14623.html)

- Thomas - 07-21-2000

Winoweenie can close his ears for this one.

Was in Ann Arbor for a few days--my first time ever in Michigan. Tasted good MI Rieslings and Pinot Gris, mediocre Chardonnay. Reds--nah.

The Finger Lakes region has an American Riesling competitor!!! And Tom Stevenson told me this about Michigan back in February.

The terrain, however, is too flat for me.

I drove through Northeast, Pennsylvania, along Lake Erie. My old friend Doug Moorehead at Presque Isle Wine Cellars has some great Riesling, Gewurztraminer and Cabernet Franc.

I plan to have some of these wines at the NYC shop--they ought to surprise that market.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-21-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 07-21-2000

Many thanks, Foodie for your attempt to put Midwestern Wine on the map. IMHO this is long overdue. Too bad you didn't get into Southern Indiana. The group down there is well organized and put out some good stuff too. Maybe Bucko will get to try some in the Indianapolis tasting he's going to this weekend. Then maybe not.

Did you take the short way back, through Southern Ontario? They make some good wine there too. You did not mention Seyval Blanc. Know that Michigan folks churn out a goodly amount of it. Methinks this is the most underrated grape grown in the good ole USA. If we could rank things according to our druthers, would place in between Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc for those style of grapes. Reisling is in an altogether different catogory, and we're glad to hear the Lowpers are treating it well.

- Thomas - 07-21-2000

IK, I did not go back through Ontario, but I am quite familiar with their wines; been going there and tasting since the nineteen eighties. I also like the annual Shaw Festival at Niagara on the Lake.

As for Seyval, here in NY it is mostly a fine alternative to Sauvignon Blanc, and at some wineries it reaches toward Chardonnay. When I had my winery I produced a dry blend in which Seyval was the primary component--good food wine. The only Seyval I saw in Michigan was a sweet wine, not a late harvest either--I did not sample it because, if it is not late harvest dessert style, sweet wine does not go into my body.

- Innkeeper - 07-26-2000

Foodie, I know that wondering around the flatlands without mountains or salt water anywhere, the mind can boggle; but "reds-nah"? Did nobody offer you a well crafted Marechal Foch? Have carried specimens of this species back to mountains and sea, and found them comparable to Cru Beaujolais.

- Thomas - 07-27-2000

IK, no one offered me a Marechal Foch, but that is ok with me. For some reason, I do not take kindly to that grape; I think it has to do with its forward, jammy, far less than subtle way of attacking my palate.

- Bucko - 07-30-2000

I came back from Indy tonight -- just got in -- came back with a new appreciation for Eastern wines. I tasted a lot of oddball stuff, e.g. Niagra (among a host of others I have never heard of), but many of the wines were darn good! I'll have to post a few names tomorrow -- lots of NY Riesling medals. Fun bunch at Indy.

Bucko

- winoweenie - 07-30-2000

What was your fastest lap Buckster? And Foodie, you`re rite. Read your post and have scheduled 3 sessions with my resident Psych-Doctor. Hope he returns me to normal. Why are you making these posts when you know I`m in withdrawell pains? I`ll get even Winoweenie

- Thomas - 07-31-2000

WW, doesn't Sutter Home produce a Red Riesling just for you?

I remember someone in the eighties produced a Pink Riesling--can't remember which, but am sure that operation is out of business....

- winoweenie - 07-31-2000

Foodie, and well it should be, and hopefully the courts sentenced the winemaker to apprenticing for 2 years under Mike Grigich for making the stuff. Winoweenie