WineBoard
'99 Luis Felipe Edwards Carmenere - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: '99 Luis Felipe Edwards Carmenere (/thread-14619.html)

- Drew - 03-24-2002

Dark purple, not opaque. Nose of MERLOT...rich dark plum and earthy scents. Like flavors showing the earthy side with mature dark plum and chocolate. Good mid palate and 15 sec. finish make this a best buy at $7.99....13.5%Alc/vol.

Drew

- Thomas - 03-25-2002

That "nose of Merlot" had the Chileans labeling this variety Merlot for a long time, until recently.

- Randy Caparoso - 03-25-2002

Try to go back to that wine... in spite of the confusion (Chileans bottling Carmenere as Merlot all these years), the two varietals really are not similar at all.

Carmenere almost always has a jalapeno or tabasco chile-like spice that no Merlot ever has, period. Both varieties can have black cherry-like fragrances and soft tannins, but then again so can Pinot Noir, and Pinot Noir doesn't resemble Merlot either.

If you don't remember the wine that way, I bet you any money if you try another bottle you'll know precisely what I mean, now that I've pointed it out.

By the way, if you'd like to try REALLY good Carmenere, for a little extra money the ones by Morande (about $10), Santa Rita (their "Reserva," about $14), and Veramonte (their "Primus, about $18) are deeper, richer, and more finely balanced. Spent a week in Chile a year and a half ago, sitting through some comparative tastings with winemakers, and have been following the progress ever since.

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 03-25-2002).]

- Drew - 03-25-2002

I will revisit it, Randy. Oh BTW, it had a very pronounced smoky flavor with a Shiraz like spice. It was an enjoyable bottle and I'm a gonna hunt down your recs. Thanks.

Drew

- Thomas - 03-25-2002

For my money, Carmenere beats a varietal Merlot--mostly. It's the spice of the former that I like.

- Randy Caparoso - 03-25-2002

Then the thing to do, Drew, is to taste a Carmenere next to a Shiraz and next to a Merlot. When you actually do this, the distinctions become crystal clear, and you'll wonder how you confused the varieties in first place. Shiraz, for instance, can be mildly peppery, but more violet-like in the fragrance -- but no green/jalapeno/tabasco chile-like spice like Carmenere. Merlot has NO spice; only occasionally, a green leafy, tea-like tone to go with cherry and sweet berry nuances. As for the "smoky" qualities you found to be Shiraz-like, I would say that this has nothing to do with grape qualities, but the use of oak (remember that French oak barrels are bent over fire and so are charred inside) that is common in most fine winemaking.

Then you can complicate things by throwing in, say, a Cabernet Franc from California, or a Cabernet Franc based red from France (Chinon, Bourguiel or Saumur-Champigny). If you can learn to distinguish the herbal, leafy, sometimes bell peppery qualities of Cabernet Franc (hint: there's always a touch of raspberry in Cabernet Franc you don't always find in other varietals) from the jalapeno pepper-like qualities of Carmenere, then you can truly say your powers of varietal distinction are sharpened... you'll be ready for a Master Sommelier or Masters of Wine exam! Bring 'em on!

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 03-25-2002).]

- vinman - 03-31-2002

Hi!
Was reviewing the post(s) regarding Carmenere and am a bit confused. If the grape has lost luster amd acceptance in its birthplace Bordeaux, why is now thought of rather well in Chile? Or isn't it? Sorry, but I need help with this as I've only tasted one, Santa Rita (not the Riserva) and it was OK, at best!

- ShortWiner - 02-27-2003

Had a bottle of the 2001 Luis Felipe Edwards. Powerful aroma right out of the bottle--I got more red fruit than black, some vanilla. I also would have said green pepper but after reading Randy's posts here I agree that there's more of a jalepeno-like quality to it. Palate is fairly full-bodied, but for my taste too dominated by vanilla/oak. I was disappointed by that, bit of a let down after the intriguing nose. But it's still a great deal at $7.99.

Drew, I noticed that you were drinking the '99 and didn't mention vanilla or oak. Does that sort of flavor fade with time?

- Drew - 02-27-2003

It depends, with some bottlings the oak integrates well with time, others the fruit seems to fade and the oak/vanilla becomes very prominent. Kinda sounds like what happened with this bottle. Also storage can positively/negatively affect the wine.

Drew

- Thomas - 02-28-2003

Just a thought, but aren't jalepenos green???

- Kcwhippet - 02-28-2003

Not the ripe ones. They're red.

- ShortWiner - 02-28-2003

Maybe they are green sometimes, but when I said green pepper I meant the non-spicy bell variety. The wine definitely has spice to it, though, and you can smell it when you stick your nose in the glass, so I think jalepeno is a better descriptor.

Foodie, I plan to stop by is-wine for your pate & Bordeaux tasting. Not sure which day yet. May bring my wife along.

- Thomas - 03-01-2003

Shortwiner, sorry that I was busy with OS 10 when you arrived; #@^%**+ is all I can say about that thing.

How did you like the pate? I thought it went especially well with the St Estephe AND the Bergerac Montreval dessert wine.

Incidentally, that was your wife with you???

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-01-2003).]

- ShortWiner - 03-03-2003

No apology necessary--I've certainly been there with the computer difficulties. They're all-consuming. The pate was GREAT, though I didn't get a chance to match it up with the wines. I was very pleased to take advantage of your buy-6-bottles-get-a-free-pate deal!

Sadly, my wife was working late that day and couldn't make it, so I had to settle for my friend Simon. Now she's away for the week at a training program for her job, so I think I'll save the pate for her return next week . . .

- wondersofwine - 03-03-2003

Hey, Foodie,
Do I get pate if I visit Is-Wine March 10?
Now that I have a ticket to "Lion King" I hear the orchestras are going on strike and I may end up seeing it with taped music! ARGH! Oh, and please, can you tell the President not to start the war while I am traveling?

- Thomas - 03-03-2003

We still have some pate left, and we are giving them away with a purchase. But since they expire on Mar 12, we have dropped the requirement to 3 bottles.

Shortwiner, eat it before the 12th...these pates have no preservatives added.

As for the strike on Broadway, yuch. I find it hard to get up sympathy for people who demand a certain number of laborers (or musicians) whether or not they are needed. We used to call that featherbedding.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-03-2003).]

- ShortWiner - 03-04-2003

The 12th, eh? No problem!