WineBoard
Viogner - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Wines Without a Category (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: Viogner (/thread-14564.html)

- Kazak - 11-24-2000

I like to have a nice California viogner every once in a while. I have recently learned that Cordinieu(sp)is the appelation in France that viogners are produced in. I would like to find a moderately priced bottle to keep in my collection. Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks,
Kaz

- Bucko - 11-24-2000

You said the magic words "moderately priced." It is tough to find the French version, Condrieu, for less than $35-40. If that does not scare you off, try the 1997 Paret, Lys de Volan, $40.

Bucko

- Kazak - 11-24-2000

I was afraid that you would say that. I wish that the French would start considering my budget when they sell their wines (even though it is probably the American wholesalers that mark them up a bit). I like to stay between $10-$20 for semi-monthly bottles, so the California ones fit right in. Have you had any great ones from California recently?

- Bucko - 11-24-2000

This is not "great," but is a nice bottle:

1999 McDowell, Viognier, Mendocino County, $16, 1,500 cases. This aromatic wine has a bouquet filled with floral and citrus notes. Medium-bodied and well-balanced, white peach and fig flavors prevail, with a lush aftertaste.

Bucko

- Kazak - 11-24-2000

Bucko,
Thanks. I am going to look for it this weekend. I have to go- road trip to Virginia.
Kaz

- Innkeeper - 11-24-2000

The same GD we talked about under your Beaujolais post, puts our a decent Vin De Pays Viognier for around $10.00. If you do a viognier search on the board under the "Search" function, you will find that board members have found a distict difference between French and Califorian versions; with the preference going to the Old World style.

- mrdutton - 11-25-2000

While I've not yet tried the Georges Duboeuf Viognier, I've had several from from California and several from France.

The cali versions were hot and oakey while the French bottlings were fruity and crisp and quite aromatic (which I think Viognier is supposed to be....).

For less than $10.00 try: 1999 Viognier, vin de pays des Coteaux de L'Ardeche imported by Kysela Pere & Fils, Ltd., 130 Windy Hill Lane, Winchester, VA 22602.

For the experts: 3 27440 007241

- mrdutton - 11-25-2000

Yikes, I missed part of that post! If you are going to Virginia then for pete's sake (or anyone else's for that matter) get ye a bottle or two or more of Horton Viognier.

Very, very nice. This stuff is quite in the style of the French rather than the California versions. Horton Vineyards is located outside and north of Charlottesville, but should be available in most Virginia ABC stores or in the local wine shops.

Horton is, also, the only East Coast US member of the RHONE RANGERS.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-24-2000).]

- Thomas - 11-25-2000

I have tasted the Horton Viognier and I concur.

- winoweenie - 11-25-2000

Sounds like an altruistic posting of a provincial promotion to me. WW

- mrdutton - 11-25-2000

Not really altruistic, Horton has a good market in DC, NY and in California.

Provincial yes, but not parochial.

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-25-2000).]

- Thomas - 11-25-2000

altruistic and provincial in one sentence--ww must be reading a dictionary for fun!

- Kazak - 11-27-2000

I am originally from VA and have tasted quite a few wines from Horton (No Va), Barboursville, and other Charlottesville area vineyards. I will be in Richmond next weekend and will try to purchase a couple of bottles of Horton's Viogner. I looked for the McDowell this weekend, but could not find it. I will keep searching. Thanks for the info. I did talk to a wine shop owner this past weekend that said the French ones are fruitier with a long finish, and the Cali ones are typically drier.

[This message has been edited by Kazak (edited 11-27-2000).]