WineBoard
1949 Chateau Olivier - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Collectibles/Auction News (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: 1949 Chateau Olivier (/thread-1452.html)

- binobril - 08-15-2000

I have a bottle of wine that I am not really sure how to describe but would appreciate input as to whether I should a) sell it b) drink it or c) throw it away. The label has the word "Olivier" in large red capital letters at the top. On the left under that it says "dry/serve well chilled","1949", with a picture of a coat of arms to the right and under that a picture of a castle. Under the castle it says "chateau olivier" framed in a sort of banner outline. Under that on the left it says "1er CRU", "depose France" in the middle and then "GRAVES." Under that it says "Mise en Bouteilles du chateau". "Vin de Bordeaux . . . Louis Eschenauer." Is this enough to figure out what this is? Thanks for any assistance.

- mrdutton - 08-27-2000

You have what was a white wine from the Graves region near Bordeaux in France. The region is south of Bordeaux along the west bank of the Garonne River. The Chateau is located in the northern region of Graves. The wine was bottled at the Chateau for the producer, Louis Eschenauer. The vintage is 1949 and it is a classed wine, Premier Cru (1er Cru) (although my source says that the wines of Graves were not officially classified until 1959).

The current wines from Ch Olivier are bottled under the Pessac-Loegnan AOC which is in the northern section of the Graves region. This classification is new and was establised for the 1986 vintage and outward.

The white wines of Graves are made from Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon varieties. The Larousse Encyclopedia of wines says, "Ch Olivier has enjoyed a sound reputation that was somewhat baffling, given the unremarkable quality of the wines."

Very carefully try to remove the cork so it does not fall apart or just bust it up into little pieces, then pour the contents down the drain. I wouldn't even suggest that you try to taste it. You might want to consider keeping the bottle and label intact as a conversation piece.

What you have might have been a very decent white bordeaux from Graves about 50 years ago, but not now. White wines are not destined for aging; they are made to be drunk relatively young. Although some very good whites can withstand some aging, 51 years is a bit much. For instance the whites from Ch Haut-Brion are aged for about 5 years before release. Also some of the finest white wines in the world come from a small area in the southern part of Graves known as Sauternes. White wines from Sauternes age quite nicely - the best recent vintages being 1983, 1988, 1989 and 1990.

The current productions from Chateau Olivier are not getting grand and glorious reviews from Wine Spectator, FYI. But some are getting very good reviews that sit at the lower end of their 85 to 94 point scale which to WS means very good to outstanding.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 08-27-2000).]