WineBoard
Top Ten WA Reds <$15 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Northwest Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Top Ten WA Reds <$15 (/thread-14454.html)

- Bucko - 03-07-2003

Yet another round. Obviously it is not all inclusive because I did not taste every single WA red on the market......

1999 Covey Run, Syrah, Barrel Select, Yakima Valley/Columbia Valley, Washington, $13, 483 cases. Black fruit, oak spice and smoky nuances emanate from this deeply hued wine. A blend of blackberry, blueberry, chocolate, and Chinese five spice flavors makes for an interesting wine. 86/87.

2001 Hedges, “CMS,” Columbia Valley, Washington, $12, 27,800 cases. A Cabernet Sauvignon predominant blend. Nice Bing cherry, raspberry and toasty oak aromas emanate from the glass. Well-balanced with firm but rounded tannins. Red cherries, cola, and minerals are upfront, with a nutmeg spiciness coming in on the finish. 86/87.

2000 Hogue, Merlot, Genesis, Columbia Valley, Washington, $15, 28,000 cases. This dark ruby Merlot offers up cassis, berries and herbs on the nose. Gobs of black cherries and berries fill the palate. Medium-full bodied, the chewy tannins need bottle time. 86/87.

1999 Snoqualmie, Cabernet-Merlot, Columbia Valley, Washington, $10. Ruby, with brick overtones. Aromas of black cherries, cassis, and cedar integrate well with the fruit, chocolate and dill notes. Well-balanced, the easy going tannins make this easy to enjoy now. 86/88.

2000 Snoqualmie, Syrah, Columbia Valley, Washington, $10. Deeply hued. This Syrah speaks of blueberries, cocoa and vanilla. While straightforward, it is tasty, with nice balance and a long berry aftertaste. 86/88.

2001 Waterbrook, Mélange, Columbia Valley, Washington, $13, 7,483 cases. Mélange is a good description for the nose of this wine, with lots of black and red fruit and violet notes. Full-bodied, fruity, with ripe tannins and a long aftertaste of berries and American oak nuances. 86/87.

1999 Columbia Crest, Merlot, Grand Estates, Columbia Valley, Washington, $11. Raspberries, vanilla, herbs and cedar aromas emanate from the glass. Well-balanced with supple tannins, the juicy fruit, cocoa and vanilla fades into a long finish of dark berries. 87/89.

NV Maryhill, Rediviva Red, Columbia Valley, Washington, $14. While not vintage dated, the grapes all came from the 2000 harvest. This is an interesting blend of 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc and 18% Syrah. Ruby red, with black fruit and smoked game on the nose. Balanced, with nice acidity, you’ll appreciate a host of fruit flavors on the palate along with smoke and meaty notes. 87/89.

1999 Preston, Merlot, Columbia Valley, Washington, $14. A complex nose of Bing cherries, black olive, cedar and aged tobacco greets the taster. Well-structured, with silky tannins and zippy acidity. Flavors echo the nose, with chocolate and integrated vanilla adding to the mix. 88/90.

NV Three Rivers, Red Table wine, River’s Red, Columbia Valley, Washington, $15. I wish more producers made these tasty blends at a fair price. A combination of Cabernet Franc, Sangiovese, Merlot and Syrah, the aroma is full of berries and American oak notes of herbs/dill. Juicy on the palate with all components working in harmony, this is a fun wine that will match anything from spaghetti and meatballs to grilled steak. 88/90.

- stevebody - 03-18-2003

Bucko,

With the exception of the Covey Run, a hearty second to everything on the list! The Snoq Cab-Merlot is, IMHO, the best C-M out of WA every year. It would be completely plausible in a Bordeaux bottle (Except that it would taste too good) and clearly shows that the C-Ms don't necessarily have to be warm/fuzzy couch potato wines.

The Hogue Genesis Merlot is the first bottle of Hogue wine I've ever deliberately recommended to a customer since I started selling wine. I love that lively, kaqzzy profile and bright acidity.

I'd just add the Cavatappi Red Table Wine and the Barnard-Griffin Syrah to the list. The B-G especially is a stunning surprise and delight.

Steve

- Bucko - 03-18-2003

I did not receive samples of the latter two wines. I wish that I had.

To me it seems that WA wineries are very poor about the whole publicity biz scene. I make a request, as did the WA Wine Commission, to send samples for a series of four articles to run in the newspapper, plus one large article to go on the number one wine web site. I bet only 1/2 of the wineries at best submitted wines.

- zenda2 - 03-18-2003

Bucko, nice list. I see a couple of old favorites, sorry that I don't see a couple more. Wish Kiona would have submitted a bottle or two, they make a few tasty reds in that price range. But God love 'em, marketing just isn't their strong suit. While I'm wishing, I wish I could purchase their wine locally.
As one of the characters said on the short-lived FIREFLY TV show, "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak".