WineBoard
Stunning Value Winery - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Northwest Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Stunning Value Winery (/thread-14403.html)

- Bucko - 05-21-2003

If anyone deserves the title of Mr. Quality/Value of the Northwest, it is Cameron Fries. This does not rhyme with Freedom Fries. The correct pronunciation is frees, as in freeing us from overpriced wine in the marketplace.

Cameron and his wife Phyllis are both Washington natives. They met and graduated from Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma. They moved to Switzerland for five years where Cameron trained in enology and viticulture. His wines definitely reflect the European influence.

I sincerely doubt that anyone in Washington beats Cameron in providing us with such tasty wines at blue collar prices. I honestly don’t know how his wines ever make it to the retail outlets. Savvy buyers will purchase by the case directly from the winery, cleaning out the small production before it is released to the general public.

2001 White Heron, Chardonnay, Frenchman Hill, Columbia Valley, Washington, $10. Straw in color, the wine exudes aromas of apples and pears. Crisp and clean, the wine is very fruity, unburdened by layers of obscuring oak. Delightful. 87/90.

2001 White Heron, Syrah, Mariposa Vineyard, Columbia Valley, Washington, $13. The wine has a pleasingly dark hue, with aromas and flavors of black fruit, eucalyptus and cracked pepper. The wine is well-structured, with moderate but rounded tannins and food-friendly acidity. Killer value. 88/91.

1999 White Heron, Red Wine, Mariposa Vineyard, Columbia Valley, Washington, $15. Made in a Meritage style, this wine has layers of black fruit, menthol, leather and old wood on the nose. Very crisp and fruity, the wine is easy to drink now with its silky tannins. Menthol carries over to the palate, adding a layer of interest to this value wine. 88/91.

2002 White Heron, Gewurztraminer, Barrel Sample. Fans of this grape will not want to miss out on this wine if the bottled product matches the barrel sample. Very aromatic, the wine is simply delicious and shows very good potential. Seemingly sweet, the wine is dry, with no residual sugar at all.

2002 White Heron, Rousanne, Barrel Sample. This is a Rhone variety that is often blended with Marsanne. Initially reticent on the nose, the wine reveals pears and guava after warming up in the glass. The palate displays nice acidity with mango and pear flavors. Very good potential.

Bucko

- Innkeeper - 05-22-2003

Sounds like my kinda place.

- winoweenie - 05-22-2003

Does he have an Az distributor, or if not, do he desire one? WW

- Bucko - 05-22-2003

No idea, SweetPea........

- stevebody - 05-25-2003

Here, here, me Bucko! Have loved those WH things for years, especially the Chantepierre.

A hot tip: A guy walked into Esquin last Friday and came straight over to me and started a conversation about Washington Sangiovese. I told him I hadn't had a one that stood up to even some of the cheaper Italians. After twenty minutes batting it around, he introduced himself as Jerry Fox and said he had a new winery called Fox Estates over in Mattawa. They were grape growers who decided to make wine. Sound familiar?

Anyway, he wound up pouring me his Cab, Merlot, and Sangiovese. They were VERY fine. I held my breath and asked about prices (figuring $25-$45 per) and was astonished when he said the Merlot and Sangio would RETAIL at about $10 and the Cab about $14. Well, SOLD. Look for his Godawful ugly label. These are serious wines at a laughable price.

Bucko: Article about these guys, getting in on what is truly the ground floor? Contact me out of forum for the address/phone.

- Bucko - 05-25-2003

I know Fox Estate -- they have sent me samples. I just gave their Riesling a pretty good review.