WineBoard
Flying Dutchman Winery - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Northwest Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Flying Dutchman Winery (/thread-14313.html)

- barnesy - 08-18-2000

Tonight, I opened a bottle of 1997 Flying Dutchman Chardonay with my wife's Beef Stroganof. This made a very enjoyable combination.

This, I believe, was the first release year for the new Flying Dutchman Winery. They get their grapes from the Stangeland Vineyards near Portland, OR and their winemaker is studying under Stangeland's winemaster. They vint(if thats the correct word) pinot noir and chardonay and will be releasing their first pinot gris this year.

The chardonay had a light, fruity aroma and has a medium body. It has a very light, buttery finish to it. It was a very nice wine for such a new winery.

Barnesy

The wine had a light frui

- Innkeeper - 08-19-2000

Can't say we would have had a chardonnay with the Beef Stroganoff; but, hey, if it works for you.

- barnesy - 08-19-2000

The beef stroganof isn't that strong. Its primary ingridient is cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. It didn't cover up any of the flavor, at least that my inexperianced tongue and nose noticed. What would have been appropriate for the chardonay?

Barnesy

- Thomas - 08-19-2000

Cream of mushroom and sour cream--sounds like Chardonnay to me, no matter that it was beef.

- Innkeeper - 08-19-2000

Not only is it beef, but it a is rich, peasant, paprikaed, dish. Would go for a big, lusty, ancient vined Californian such as Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Barbara, or combination (blend) thereof.

- winoweenie - 08-19-2000

IK, Bouef Stangeloff wif` Chardonnay? 290,000 Russians are turning in their respective. Never could see drowning my paprika in CofM soup. Where the heck is Randy when you need him? winoweenie

- Innkeeper - 08-19-2000

WW sober up and straighten out your glasses. I'm the anti SW guy here.

- winoweenie - 08-20-2000

IK, NEVER did I meant to imply you condoned the pairing. Just was esspressin` my very own astonishment at the pairing. Was really addressing my umbrage in generalities.Was really trying to tell Barnsey in my most diplomatic way that the pairing IMHO, sucked. WW

- Thomas - 08-20-2000

I have a feeling that the Beef Strog. Barnesy talks about is not the same that IK talks about. I do not remember cream of mushroom in any Strogs. I ever had, but if it were there, I would consider a Chardonnay, and maybe some other SW.

Last night I had Maryland crabcakes with an inexpensive (Pepperwood) Pinot Noir. A great pairing...strange things do happen.

- barnesy - 08-20-2000

Yeah, its definitely not a traditional stroganof. Its not the dark brown spicy sort but a creamy pale style. And isn't the point that both the wine tasted good and so did the food? They didn't make each other taste bad. It may have been an odd coupling, but in this case it seems to have worked. Oh well, if i make a different stroganof, i won't serve chardonay.

on a side note, something I remember from the winery is that the lady said it was aged in 3 types of oak. Part in American, part in french and part in hungarian, then blended.

Barnesy

- Innkeeper - 08-20-2000

BEEF STROGANOFF: Only slightly modified from "Alice's Restaurant Cookbook", by Alice May Brock; circa 1969. Set off any bells and whistles? Came complete with a 45 rpm record by Arlo Guthrie inside the dust jacket.

2 Vidalia type onions chopped
Butter & olive oil in equal portions
1 lb Crimini mushrooms (caps only) sliced
1 lb Skirt steaks sliced 1/4" thick
Sweet paprika
1 pt Whole sour cream
1/4 C Pine nuts
1 whole Nutmeg freshly shaved/ground
Salt and pepper mill

Take a 10 inch ceramic or enameled skillet or saute pan, and cook onion in butter & oil till almost caramelized. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until soft. Remove to a warm bowl. Add more fat along with a liberal amount of paprika, turn up heat to high, and add the meat 8 or 10 slices at a time so they don't touch. Sear quickly on both sides, turning with tongs versus fork. When done put in bowl with veggies, and finish remaining meat. Over medium low heat deglaze with sour cream, not letting it boil. Return bowl full of onion, mushrooms, and meat with drippings; along with pine nuts, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Warm through. Serve over wide, thick, Pennsylvania Dutch type egg noodles or fresh lasagna cut into 1 inch pieces and cooked to order. Sprinkle with more paprika.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 08-21-2000).]

- winoweenie - 08-20-2000

IK, THAT`S STROGIE!!! By the way Barnsey, We have the winery`s gold mine here in Az. winoweenie

- mrdutton - 08-26-2000

I must have lost my copy when I threw out all those glossy 8 x 10 photos with the writing on the back..................

That is a decent stroganoff recipe, for sure.

I, for one, would not pair that dish with a chard, for sure!

However, the lighter version that Barnsey spoke of just might make the cut; I'd be willing to try it, anyway........

- Innkeeper - 10-17-2000

Had the strogie last night with Gallo's 1997 Rancho Zabaco, Sonoma County, Sonoma Heritage Vines, Zinfandel. Wonderful!

- winoweenie - 10-17-2000

IK, Now there`s a matchup I unnerstand. winoweenie

- Innkeeper - 03-20-2001

Did the strogie again last night. This time with the '97 Burgess Zin. Mmmmmmm good!