WineBoard
Ten very nice OR Pinots... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Northwest Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Ten very nice OR Pinots... (/thread-14300.html)

- Bucko - 08-02-2007

2004 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir, Estate Reserve, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $38. This is already bricking in the color, so I don’t think this is a long ager at all. That said the wine has a lovely nose of earthy black fruit, with nice palate feel and lovely balance; 88/88.

2005 Bergstrom Winery, Bergstrom Vineyard, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $65. Ripe, juicy black cherries fill the mouth with flavors, with generous oak notes which carry over to the finish. This will be a stunner if the oak tames down over the next 2-3 years; 90+/88+.

2005 Brick House Vineyards, Les Dijonnais, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $45. The nose has lovely earthy, smoky qualities, with lush black fruit, but the color is a little troubling. Modest fruit, easy tannins and balancing acidity round out the wine; 87/86.

2005 Broadley Vineyards, Pinot Noir, Shea Vineyard, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $48. Full and generous on the nose, with black cherries, raspberries and forest floor aromas abounding. Full, lush and well balanced on the palate, with a long, impressive finish; 90/89.

2004 Cana’s Feast Winery, Pinot Noir, Cuvée G, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $75. You’ll find very ripe red and black fruits with a cedary underpinning. Balanced, full, with silky tannins; 88/86.

2005 Panther Creek, Pinot Noir, Freedom Hill Vineyard, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $40. The best of their line this year. You’ll pick up distinct matchstick aromas, but these blow off with time. Bright black cherry fruit prevails, with nice structure and depth and a long black cherry finish; 88/87.

2005 Patricia Green Cellars, Pinot Noir, Old Vine, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $38. Earthy black fruit greets the nose. The wine is very polished on the entry, with well-managed tannins giving structure to this medium to full-bodied wine. The flavors are complex, but the wine comes up a little short in the mid-palate; 88/88.

2005 Lemelson Vineyards, Pinot Noir, Jerome Reserve, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $50. Black fruit with an earthy underpinning is augmented by deft use of oak. Very polished on the entry, this is a quintessential Oregon Pinot. It is lush, complex and very pleasing; 92/92.

2005 St. Innocent, Pinot Noir, Shea Vineyard, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $39. Sporting a very lovely Burgundian nose, the earthy black fruit aromas continue on the palate. Impeccably balanced, with a long, delicious finish; 92/92.

[This message has been edited by Bucko (edited 08-02-2007).]

- Kcwhippet - 08-02-2007

Isn't that first one about 450 miles from OR?

- Bucko - 08-02-2007

Edited -- a mind is a terrible thing to waste. [img]http://wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 08-02-2007

Thanks for the notes. Interesting to see comparison of wines from same vineyard, different producers such as the Shea Vineyard. I had a Lange Freedom Hill Pinot I liked and would like to try the Panther Creek. Too bad the Lemelson is at the $50 price point.

- Bucko - 08-02-2007

After IPNC, I go out to dinner every year with Michael, the winemaker at Panther Creek, and Liz, the owner -- truly good people. Michael admitted the 05s were a real challenge and were not his best efforts. I agree. I did not buy any 05s from them. Only the Freedom Hill is worthy of attention IMHO.

I agree on prices, but it is a third the price of Burgundies I tried of similar quality. Granted, they're different entities, but I do not drink a lot of Pinot. If I do, I reach for an OR bottle.

- dananne - 08-02-2007

Thanks for the notes. We've tried, or have in the cellar, most of the wines on the list, though not all are '05s. From talking with winemakers out there in '05 and '06, most discussed the difficulties with the '05 vintage, though most thought that the wines would turn out to be quite good, though the yields were down almost across the board. Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing. We've had some excellent Willamette '05s, albeit from good producers like Ken Wright, Lynn Penner-Ash, etc. Again, thanks for the notes.