WineBoard
MAZZA Vineyards - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: MAZZA Vineyards (/thread-14247.html)

- mrdutton - 09-18-2005

Has anyone heard of this Winery located in North East, PA on the southern shore of Lake Erie?

I would like your candid appraisal of their juice if you have heard of them.

I visited the winery about a week ago while on a trip to Buffalo.

- Innkeeper - 09-18-2005

Well, hello stranger. Sorry, never heard of 'em.

- Thomas - 09-19-2005

Sorry old boy,

I've heard of them, and tasted their wines but that was at least 6 years back, so I couldn't speak for the product today. I was not overly impressed back then.

One winery in Northeast PA that often has impressed me is Presque Isle Wine Cellars.

- mrdutton - 09-19-2005

IK - Thanks - it has been a while since I've roamed the halls of the wineboard. But I've been very busy with work issues, and then being the Vice President of a small fraternal organization for which we were planning a reunion has also kept me busy. Plus I've also become the webmaster of a small web page for the organization: USS William R Rush Association.

Foodie - let me just say that I am glad that they gave me a vessel into which I could spit and some small crackers to clear the pallet between sips because most of their stuff was not for me.

I did tolerate their Reisling and bought one bottle. They also make a blended white called "Reflections of the Lake" that was good enough for my table and my pallet. A mix of Chardonnay and something else that I quite forget, unoaked and touched only by stainless steel.

They also produced a Chambourcin and a Nebbiolo and I liked both. I bought two bottles of each.

The fellow at the winery said that the Nebbiolo was becoming rare and just might disappear completely in the United States. (His words: he did say "in the US.) He said that the vines had been hit with a very bad freeze last winter and they were virtually gone from existence. Not sure where else it may be grown in the US.

I don't have any notes on my tastings at the winery. Should I manage to remember, I'll post something later on about the three different wines that I did buy.

Imagine my surprise when I drove from Virginia Beach to Buffalo by way of Pittsburg and Erie. I had certainly forgotten that I was getting into WINE country in Northeastern PA and Northwestern NY! Wish I'd had more time to explore the area.

- Innkeeper - 09-19-2005

Good to hear all the news Mike. Agree with Thomas on the Presque Isle Wine Cellars.

- Thomas - 09-19-2005

Nebbiolo was being grown in the Finger Lakes, at Knapp Vineyards, but I doubt it survived the winter before last--even I almost caved that year...

- winoweenie - 09-22-2005

Lots of it planted in Calif now so doubt it will "dissapear ". WW

- jmcginley1 - 09-22-2005

edit whoops, didn't see that "in the US part"

[This message has been edited by jmcginley1 (edited 09-23-2005).]

- winermaker1 - 10-06-2005

Mazza Winery is a great wine, actually Pres. Isle and Mazza were owned by the same family for many years. Mazza winery has a great Ice Wine. You should check it out...http://www.mazzawines.com/

- Thomas - 10-06-2005

Doug owned Mazza? I didn't know that.

- mrdutton - 10-20-2005

MAZZA Lake Erie Nebbiolo, 2002, 12% Alcohol -

Label Says: Our Nebbiolo is grown in the Lake Erie region by S. R. Sellaro. Production of this ancient grape variety is very limited. The wine is robust with strong acidity and rich in tannins. Serve with Italian dishes, sharp cheese or red meats.

My limited tasting notes say: Great clarity with color of a dark ruby. Very fruit forward and decently balanced between the fruit and the acid, but not especially tannic. There were some faint hints of tannin and earthiness on the finish. This wine reminded me of a Crus Beaujolais. It paired very nicely with our selection of cheeses and meats including thin slices of ham and pepperoni.

I would drink this again, but as I noted above the Lake Erie Nebbiolo seems to have been decimated by a harsh winter and may not be produced in that region again.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 10-20-2005).]

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 10-20-2005).]

- Innkeeper - 10-20-2005

Sometimes those Erie grapes on both sides of the Ohio/New York border just keep on coming and coming. Don't count the Nebbi out yet.

This is like old home week around here. First Chris Matthews (Scoop) shows up, and now you. Keep coming back.

- winoweenie - 10-20-2005

We were even blessed with a visit by our ex-moderator Jim Wallace. WW