WineBoard
Finger lake Wine Tours/tasting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Finger lake Wine Tours/tasting (/thread-14241.html)

- dadspet - 10-18-2000

Any recomendations for wine tours and tasting in the Finger Lake Region? Several years ago we toured Bully Hill and really like it but haven't been to a winery in several years. We plan to hit one or two Oct 23/24 and would like input.

- Catch 22 - 10-18-2000

Here is some information that was given to me earlier this year by "foodie"

Of course, the "best" is subjective, but here is my vote for all around
great wines.

Keuka Lake: Vinifera Wine Cellars--Chateau Frank

Seneca Lake: Hermann Wiemer, Prejean, Fox Run and Glenora

Cayuga Lake: Treleaven

For Riesling: almost any winery will do, but do not miss Vinifera Wine
Cellars (Keuka Lake); Hermann Wiemer, Prejean, Glenora, Fox Run and
Lafayette Reneau (Seneca Lake); Treleaven, Knapp (Cayuga Lake).

For Chardonnay: Fox Run, Prejean, Lamaroux Landing (Seneca Lake);
Treleaven (Cayuga Lake) I just tasted a Treleaven Late Harvest
Chardonnay that knocks one's socks off.

Gewurztraminer: Prejean, Standing Stone (Seneca Lake); Vinifera Wine
Cellars (Keuka Lake)

Sparkling wine: Glenora (Seneca Lake); Chateau Frank (Keuka Lake)

Cabernet Franc: Hazlitt, Fox Run, Anthony Road, Standing Stone
(Seneca Lake); McGregor (Keuka Lake); Knapp, Hosmer (Cayuga Lake)

Merlot: Prejean, Fox Run, Shalestone (Seneca Lake)

I hope your trip turns out better than mine. I ended up cancelling due to circumstances beyond my control, so I never actually got to experience all of the above.

- larrychandler - 10-22-2000

New York wines are hard to get even in New York City because it is such a competitive and global market that any new area has trouble getting a foothold. And the Finger Lakes are especially troublesome because their best variety is Riesling which people think is too sweet, even though the dry versions from the Finger Lakes (esp. Dr. Frank, Weimer, Standing Stone, Fox Run) are glorious.

There is a new store in New York City that sells NY state wine exclusively. It's called Vintage NY and is located in Soho on Broome St., but other stores are starting to carry them.

The wineries think that because they can sell their output mostly at the winery door and via mail order they don't need to market their wines to other states, but I think this is a shortsighted view.

I work in a store in Midtown that sells a few Long Island wines, and also some wine from Virginia and Pennsylvania, but no Finger Lakes wines, at least not yet. We'll see.

- Thomas - 10-23-2000

Larrychandler, have no idea what brought on your outburst but since you brought it up:

True, FL producers are short-sighted, but I have been in some of the best NYC wine stores, some of which refuse to consider FL wines and some of which think that the only wine produced in NY State comes from Long Island. In one store, when I asked for NY wines I was told we have Long Island and we have NY wines, and the wines were all on a shelf in the back, in a corner, at the very bottom so that not a soul could find them.

I am (fingers crossed) opening a wine-only shop in lower Manhattan. Intend to feature NY State wines heavily.

Incidentally, Vintage NY is not a wine store; it is a winery outlet store (Rivendell Vineyards). In NY State a farm winery is allowed five satellite tasting and retail shops, and they can sell wines from other NY producers, and they can open on Sunday.

- 4 Seasons - 01-06-2001

i konw this is an old thread - i just read it today - the reason most NY stores don't carry NY wines is because there isn't a large enough demand for them - simple economics - I own a small retail shop in upstate NY and we carry over 100 NY wines - I sell more to my on-line customers than i do thru the door - We are a stron supporter of NY wines and have different NY wineries do in-store tastings for us - even with all the promotion it is still a tough sell.