WineBoard
Three FL whites - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Three FL whites (/thread-14175.html)

- brappy - 08-04-2006

Castel Grisch Traminette '05
Too bad; this winery cannot seem to break out of this steely, flinty, mineral characteristic that throws all of thier wines out of balance. Besides that undesirable characteristic, there is a touch of pepper and floural fruit on the nose and palate. Did not finish this bottle.

Atwater Vidal Blanc '05
Nose = citrus, peach, and floral aromas.
Palate = matches the nose add some pear.
The wine has a touch of residual sugar but it is well integrated and balanced; great long finish.

Glenora Dry Riesling '05
Nose = citrus mixed with granny smith apple.
Palate = More citrus, red apple, and a touch of kiwi. There is a touch of minerality to this wine; just enough to add complexity and balance out the other flavors. Finish is medium to long.

All of these wines were tasted while on the boat in the bay. So, with all the other natural smells in the air, I did my best to describe the wines as I saw them.

mark

- Thomas - 08-04-2006

Mark,

A streak of minerality is one of the hallmarks of the Finger Lakes region, especially the Rieslings.

I've tasted that Castel Traminette--to my palate, what offends isn't minerality, but something on the metallic side.

- brappy - 08-04-2006

I agree with you Foodie; That's why I mentioned the minerality in the Glenora Riesling. But the component in this riesling added complexity, balanced everything out.

Maybe metallic is the right word. When we first tasted this at the winery, I thought the flavor was petrol, then flint, then just too much of a mineral component. What do you think causes this? Is it as simple as Castel Grisch's micro-terrior? Is it something in the winemaking process? Are they picking too early? Am I even asking the right questions?

Like I said, I agree with you about minerality being a part of FL wines, especially the rieslings. I also noticed this strong component at Fox Run (I think that's the name). It seems to be too strong from the wineries that grow(or source) thier grapes from the western side of Seneca Lake above the Highway.

What do you think?

mark

- Thomas - 08-04-2006

I'll have to retaste the Castel to give a better opinion--metallic usually is something winemaking or harvest related.

As for the west side of Seneca, if it's closer to Keuka Lake, and that side of the lake is, then it might offer heightened minerality. In my opinion, when all things are done properly, Keuka Lake product seems to give over the better balance of minerality to fruit.

For the past three vintages you have to look carefully at the labels. Shortgaes have caused a lot of wineries to source fruit outside the region. If it doesn't say Finger Lakes on the label it may have been sourced elsewhere.

Having said that, I know one winery that produces fine red wines in the region but chooses to label them New York because, the owner says, Finger Lakes gets little respect when connected to red wine. In his case, the wines are "Grown, Produced and Bottled" at the estate, yet they do not carry the FLakes AVA on the lable.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-04-2006).]

- brappy - 08-04-2006

I'll have to pay more attention to the labels then.

Hattie and I are planning on coming up there soon. I've got to talk to a couple of people to secure the actual dates and time, but we're trying for the 15th, 16th, and 17th (in 2 weeks). I'll let you know. Maybe we could taste this wine together.

We weren't able to hit the wineries on Keuga(sp) and only hit some on the east side of Seneca. We plan on hitting 30 wineries on this trip. We'll be busy to say the least.

Hopefully, I'll find out by the end of the week.

mark

- brappy - 08-04-2006

Oh yeah, IK stated in one of his posts he was running out of FL rieslings..... maybe he could come down for a visit then as well. Just a thought.......

- Thomas - 08-04-2006

Me, I'll be home until autumn...don't have reason to take a vacation in summer, especially since I live in a vacation land.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-04-2006).]

- brappy - 08-04-2006

Lucky you Foodie! I gave the wrong dates by one day. 16th, 17th, and 18th of August which is a Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Got the OK tonight and will be coming up there then. I'll e-mail you when we get closer to the time. Maybe we could talk you into coming with us winery hopping.

mark

- Thomas - 08-05-2006

Mark, the night of the 17th is my last class in the summer season at the wine and culinary center--it's on NY dessert wine.

- brappy - 08-05-2006

OK, should we meet you there? You could go in half-cocked from a day of tasting..... Or let me know what you want to do and I'm game. Can't wait.....

- Thomas - 08-06-2006

Mark,

email when you know where you will be and when.