WineBoard
Rhode Island WInes - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Rhode Island WInes (/thread-14147.html)

- RAD - 10-07-2000

My wife and I were in RI last weekend predominantly because I wanted to do some fishing; but after realizing that the fishing wasn't up to snuff, we opted for Plan B, which always is exploring the surrounding environs.

After stumbling across an honest-to-goodness REAL Southern BBQ joint (we are both from Atlanta and know good BBQ when we see, smell, and taste it), we headed up the road to two wineries that we'd never heard of, but had found in a magazine in our hotel room.

The first was Newport Vineyards, about 10 minutes north of Newport. My olfactory senses got a Big Red Flag the moment I opened the door and stepped inside, as I was assaulted by an aroma that I can only describe thusly: imagine one of those pine tree-shaped car air fresheners designed to hang from your rear-view mirror; now, dip that in a vat of industrial artificial grape flavoring; next, inhale deeply. That was the smell when we opened the door (perhaps not surprisingly, I heard a lady following us in immediately say, "My, it smells good in here!"). I swear, I can only believe that the establishment sprays some kind of fake grape smell on a constant basis. Anyway, to the wines--I tasted several whites, a couple of reds, and a port. Remember those various friut-scented magic markers that were popular back in the 70s? Each one is now bottled and for sale at Newport Vineyards. Enough said.

Next, we travelled about 20 minutes to Sakonnet Vineyards, an absolutely beautiful property along the Sakonnet River. Tried several estate wines, including a nice Chardonnay, a wonderfully clean and crisp Seyval Blanc (aged in stainless), a Fumé Blanc (same as the Seyval, but aged in oak), a nice Gewurztraminer, a rosé, and a couple of reds. Unfortunately, they were sold out of their Pinot Noir and Cabernet Franc. Anyway, the white wines were lovely--and for what it's worth, WS ranks some of them in the mid-80s.

Anyone else have any experience with RI wines?

- Bucko - 10-07-2000

I've had a couple of Sakonnet in the past and thought that they were pretty decent for wrong coast wines.......

Bucko

- Innkeeper - 10-08-2000

Sakonnet is the predominent winery of not only Rhode Island, but of all of New England. Their "decent" wines are widely distributed throughout the region. You drove right by Greenvale Winey in Portsmouth, RI, the next town up from Middletown, where Newport Winery (ugh!) is located. Haven't been to it, but bought their Seyval Blanc in Tanza Southway Liquors, in Fall River, MA. They are at the first exit in Massachusetts, so you almost drove right by it too. Anyhow thought I did a posting on the Greenvale Seyval Blanc a while back, but apparently not. It was somewhat better than decent.

- mrdutton - 10-08-2000

I've lived in Newport....... Needless to say Sakonnet wines have crossed my lips and run down my throat a number of times. Decent!

One of the best East Coast seafood restaurants: The Seafare Inn in Portsmouth, RI only a few miles north of Newport.

- Kcwhippet - 10-09-2000

I certainly have to agree on the quality of the Sakonnet wines. However, Innkeeper, are you saying that Sakonnet is the predominate winery in New England in terms of quality or volume? Have you tried the wines from Westport Rivers in MA or Chamard in CT?

- Innkeeper - 10-09-2000

Quanity. However, not like Gallo (at least the old Gallo). Sakonett puts out good stuff, but not the best stuff in New England.

- RAD - 10-09-2000

OK, IK, I'll bite.

Who DOES put out the best stuff in New England? My only experience to date is with Sakonnet and Newport, which I mentioned, and a little winery in CT a few years back, which is definitely not the winner.

Who is it?

RAD

- Bucko - 10-09-2000

The answer would require a highly subjective opinion. Who is the best ball player? Who is the most beautiful woman? Same answer -- very subjective. All IMHO of course.

Bucko

[This message has been edited by Bucko (edited 10-09-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 10-10-2000

Kcwhippet's suggestions are contenders. However agree with Bucko regarding naming an absolute best. Comments about Sakonnet were based on the fact that you can find it just about any place wine is sold in New England.

- glenora - 10-10-2000

Check out Westport Rivers Wines--Bob and Carol Russell are doing some very nice things with Chardonnay, Riesling and also produce great sparklers.

I am not sure how widely distributed they are as they claim to produce about 13000 cases per year, and as Roberto comments in another thread--it is most likely all sold at or near the winery.

We get to taste the wines industry events.

- Thomas - 10-10-2000

RAD, I am shocked. You should have known what the answer would be from this group. The best--indeed! Go to the back of the class... .

- winoweenie - 10-10-2000

Foodie, Don`t chastize RAD like that. He probably just forgot to take his crib notes. winoweenie

- RAD - 10-11-2000

Hey, lighten up folks! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Of course I know about the subjectivity of my question...the quasi-seriousness of which was implicit in my word choice ("okay, I'll bite")...but since the playing field of New England is comparatively a relatively small one, I just thought it would be easy to pick a couple of the All-Stars...

Sulking to the back of the class...where's my dunce cap, teach? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

RAD