WineBoard
Knapp Pasta White - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Knapp Pasta White (/thread-14145.html)

- Innkeeper - 04-16-2010

N/V Knapp, Pasta White ($9.99). We bypassed this one several times for admittedly no other reason than its hooky name. Then last year it won a double gold and the title Best Seyval Blanc in the New York Wine and Food Classic. Checking it out more carefully we found it indeed is 100% Seyval Blanc and sees absolutely no oak. This makes it a rare bird. Most Eastern winemakers use oak their Seyval and unoak their Vidal. Don’t know why this is the case other than people like to make their Seyval taste like Chardonnay. That would be the way to do it since unoaked Chardonnay tastes completely different from unoaked Seyval; though both have excellent tastes, and oak could make them taste alike. In fact Knapp also makes a Seyval with oak. It is telling that the unoaked Seyval won the award.

The stats on this one include 11% alcohol, 3.18 acidity, and 2.2 RS. The crisp acidity balances nicely with the sweetness. There is a strong taste of green apples (the resemblance with Chardonnay), but with definite citrus overtones. I matched it with cheese ravioli in Alfredo sauce. Yes, the wine held up to it; after all it is called Pasta White.

I don’t where else you can find an oak free Seyval Blanc, and I’m sure there must be others out there. In the meantime you can get this very nice one for ten bucks, if you are interested. Chio!

- Innkeeper - 08-31-2010

Another bottle tonight with charcoal/pecan chips cooked chicken breast with Penseys' Greek Seasoning; corn-on-the-cob, and our very first Brandywine tomato which weighed in at 1.5 lbs. Nice dinner.

- Innkeeper - 07-15-2011

We enjoyed another tonight with Maryland crab cakes (came frozen), brown rice and salad. Wonderful. The wine really complements shellfish. :-D

- Innkeeper - 11-23-2011

The last one in the rack went just great with sauteed boneless pork chops well dusted with Penseys' Pork Chop seasoning; roast baby Yukons, and peas. Yum!

- TheEngineer - 11-23-2011

i always like readying your menus Smile someone takes care to cook.....

RE: Knapp Pasta White - Innkeeper - 01-11-2013

We had a recently acquired bottle tonight with flounder filets sautéed in almond oil and butter, and pilaf cooked in almond oil, fine herbs, and lobster stock; and green beans almandine. We cook the pilaf by topping off the rice measurer with orzo and then dump this on the oil for a minute or so before adding herbs and stock. This browns the orzo and enriches the pilaf. It was a very almondy meal.

RE: Knapp Pasta White - Innkeeper - 11-15-2013

The last bottle currently in the rack tonight. We popped it with lobster and shrimp ravioli in a sherry/cream sauce and salad. All were excellent, but hate to disappoint Mike; other than the salad, it all came out of box from BJs. I threw the box out before reading the ingredients because I was afraid to. It did taste good tho; yum!!![/i]

RE: Knapp Pasta White - Innkeeper - 01-27-2014

Another tonight. We matched it with chicken breast pounded and sautéed it in turkey fat and butter seasoned with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika; rice pilaf cooked in turkey fat and turkey stock; and green peas. Yum!

P.S. True Love thought it was Riesling. It was almost as good!
P.P. S. The turkey fat came off the top of our last cylinder of turkey stock from Thanksgiving; well almost, we have another bag of bones and stuff in the freezer!

RE: Knapp Pasta White - Innkeeper - 10-31-2014

Another tonight; what a lovely wine despite the name. I don't know if there is another oak free Seyval Blanc on this caliber anywhere. Tonight we matched it baked stuffed grouper fillets and asparagus with Hollandaise sauce. Yum!

RE: Knapp Pasta White - Innkeeper - 01-30-2015

We recently received another bottle in our latest shipment from Knapp. We popped it tonight with baked stuffed very fresh haddock, and the last of our green beans in the freezer almandine. Yum!