WineBoard
Heron Hill Dry Riesling - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Heron Hill Dry Riesling (/thread-14112.html)

- Innkeeper - 04-13-2002

2000 Heron Hill, Finger Lakes, Dry Riesling ($9). Did something special for mother tonight (for those of you on the Left Coast, that is an affectionate Maine name for one's wife, in my case the lovely Beverly). Anyhow, I gave her an extra carb pill, and made authentic Continental Wiener Schnitzel with Spaetzle, and salad. Got a half pound (four small) of veal scallops, pounded them very thin, tri-coated them, sauteed them in OO & lard, and squeezed some lemon juice on top. Served with aforementioned Spaetzle with butter & poppy seeds, and salad, AND the Heron Hill Riesling. Wonderful! They make it in the style of Alsace, only better than most. Citus and other tropical fruits on the nose and upfront. More complex fruit and crisp acidity across the palate, and a very nice finish. There was not enough wine in the bottle. Maybe two next time.

- winedope - 04-13-2002

sounds lovely, IK a really pleasant evening and special meal. WD : )

- Thomas - 04-17-2002

Yep, I spect to hear from Barnsey on this one...

I'm doing a book signing at Heron Hill Winery, May 3 weekend, whereupon I shall down some of that lovely Riesling, which we sell a lot of here.

- barnesy - 04-21-2002

You will hear from me once I get the time to produce a proper meal for this wine.

Barnesy

- Thomas - 04-22-2002

Barnsey, think oysters or veal.

- barnesy - 04-22-2002

My wife and I are not huge fans of shell fish...Any other suggestions?

Barnesy

- Thomas - 04-22-2002

Did you miss the veal? No shells there. Another possibility is anything you would pair with an Alsatian wine--sausages and sauerkraut, for instance. Or maybe a poultry with sweet-sour glaze.

- barnesy - 04-22-2002

Didn't miss the veal, just wanted some other options. Thanks for the suggestions.

Barnesy

- winoweenie - 05-06-2002

Hope there are no " This is the BIG one Virginas' " with my posting here. Rec's this today from the NY Trio and so none of my friends would see it in the staging area I Immediately opened this hummer for lunch. I had a nice filet of Copper River Salmon I'd btoiled last nite in the oven very simply with a light butter-lemon glaze. Made a humongous sandwich with homemade tartar sauce, a nice slice of vidalia onion, and slices of vine-ripened tomatoes. Much as I hate to review a SW this demands some press. As this relatively high alcohol riesling hit my mouth it did a Jose Greco on my tongue and clear thru the center palate. Then Barney Oldfield took over, did 16 360* turns down my throat, skidded thru the higher tum-tum and left the food in a cloud of dust. A very intense SW IMHO and was indeed, very enjoyable with what-ever the devil I made for lunch. Tanks-A-Heapin' guys. WW

- Thomas - 05-07-2002

you're just sweet talking us, aren't ya!

Seriously, the Heron deserves accolades. Taught them everything I know...

- Innkeeper - 09-04-2002

Thought it was time to smartly move on with my stash, so popped a HH Riesling with smoked chicken and green beans almondine last night. Wonderful.

- Thomas - 09-04-2002

The NY Times rated some Rieslings today--Wednesday. Heron wasn't in it, only becasue they likely could not find a bottle where they shop--never did call me of course.

Anyway, they gave them good reviews.

- mrdutton - 09-04-2002

Hey Barnsey you got some other suggestions - chicken or salmon (both sound great).

IK - Wiener Schnitzel with Spaetzle is a meal made in heaven! Man-oh-man do I ever love it.

- Innkeeper - 09-07-2002

There is a good article on Finger Lakes Wine including Heron Hill in the October 2002 edition of Wine & Spirits, pp. 20-22.

- Innkeeper - 01-20-2003

The 2000 HH Riesling is holding just fine. Popped one with grillpanned pork chops this afternoon (visting daughter had to head home). Very nice match.

- Innkeeper - 09-10-2003

Last '00 HH Dry Riesling tonight with chicken breast in cream sauce. We think Foodie may be on to something. Rieslings do improve with age.