WineBoard
wine selection - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: wine selection (/thread-1410.html)

- Cameron - 04-29-1999

I am getting married May22 in North Carolina (hot and humid) and the wedding will be outdoors at a historic home with beautiful gardens. We are serving heavy Hor d'voures which consist of shrimp, carved prime rib, carve roasted turkey as the main staples. I would like to have a choice of a red wine and a white wine for the guests. I am not into wines and would appreciate some suggestions. I would like nice, flavorful wines at a reasonable cost. Could someone please give me some suggestions in the price range of $10-$20 dollars? It would be greatly appreciated.

- Thomas - 04-29-1999

Your price range is fine, even over-fine, but the humidity will make it difficult in the red wine camp.
I would opt for refreshing whites like Riesling, Chenin Blanc, Vouvray, Sparkling wine and for fruity reds and/or Roses like Beaujolais, Anjou, White Zinfandel, Rose sparkling wine.
Have a couple of bigger reds on hand -- Cabernet, Zinfandel et al, for those who want to have it with their meat, but I think that won't matter much; unless of course I am invited.

- Jerry D Mead - 04-29-1999

O.K., I'm going to get specific, since this person tells us she's not into wine and doesn't know brands and types at all...and these should be available even in the hinterlands.

For the red I'd go with the ever excellent Napa Ridge Pinot Noir...vintage not especially important...they've all been good. It will definitely be good with the Prime Rib and Turkey and won't be awful with the shrimps if they're serving that red cocktail sauce (the only reason I know this is I stumbled onto the combination at a Chinese restaurant once...I would have never thunk it.)

For the white, my first choice would be 1998 Geyser Peak Sauvignon Blanc (It has won four "Best White" honors already this year), but it is just being released...the 1996 and 1997 are very good also.

Both of the above wines are well within your price range.

If you feel compelled to have a Chardonnay (the most popular white wine with most folks), I'd suggest 1997 Hahn or Napa Ridge in the bargain range...Meridian is wonderful also.

A very good and even less expensive Sauvignon Blanc is Canyon Road...every recent vintage also a gold medal winner.

And you might throw in a few cases (bottles?) of pink...Delicato or Beringer White Zinfandel.

- Randy Caparoso - 04-29-1999

I only have one suggestion: If it's going to be hot and humid, serve a white wine that you don't mind server super-chilled, and a red wine that is just as chillable. The heck with "fineness" -- you want your guests to feel comfortable, refreshed, and full of positive wishes.

For whites, I suggest German Rieslings for something slightly sweet, and Pinot Grigio or Soave if you prefer dryness. If it has to be Chardonnay, lighter styles such as Veramonte from Chile, and Heron or J. Lohr from California are good ideas. For reds, easy drinking Pinot Noirs (such as Napa Ridge) is a great idea. Also consider lighter style Merlots, such as (again) Veramonte from Chile, Stella from Italy, and Heron or Vichon from South-West France.

- Bucko - 05-01-1999

I think WC hit on the head with the Napa Ridge Pinot Noir and the Geyser Peak Sauvignon Blanc - they are both quite tasty, reasonable, and widely distributed. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

Bucko

- Thomas - 05-01-1999

Cameron,

If you can't find the specific wines mentioned, go with the grape varieties mentioned and trust your retailer to pick reasonable ones.

Sometimes, we get carried away, forgetting the little mention you made about "not being a wine person."

Long live marriage and wine -- get to be a wine person, it befits a married man.