WineBoard
Atwater Riesling - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: New York/East Coast Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Atwater Riesling (/thread-14096.html)

- Innkeeper - 08-03-2006

N/V Atwater Estate Vineyards, American, Riesling ($16 at winery). Alcohol level: 12%. If this wine has a vintage, could not find it on the bottle, label, capsule, or website. They are advertising an '05, but the picture does not have a visible vintage, and the label says "Finger Lakes" but the sales room page says "American" and the price is down to $15. We went there because they have been getting a lot of good press this past year. The wine tasted fine in the tasting room, and we bought two.

It was a very nice wine with the usual suspected qualities from the region. It is off dry, and gives sweet stone fruit on the nose and upfront. More fruit and very nice balance mark the trip across the palate. They are wonderful craftspersons. The finish was successful enough to bring me back with some more baguette dipped in EVOO.

The entire meal consisted of the farmers' market purchase bread, green beans. The meat was boneless pork chops with Penseys' PC seasoning, grilled over charcoal and mesquite chips. Very nice for a Thursday night.

The lack of vintage, "American" appellation, and price all disappointed me despite the very nice quality of the wine. As can easily be found on this thread there are plenty of FL Rieslings at lower prices that get the job done as well or better. We are getting a little low on our stash right now and will be ordering more soon. Not sure who we will deal with right now, but it won't be Atwater.

- Thomas - 08-03-2006

IK,

For a few years now it has become apparent that not enough grapes planted to meet growing demand has been turning up a goodly number of those New York or American designations on Finger Lakes producer's wines.

I don't like the situation--for two reasons: some of the wines do not reflect the regional identity; and some of them are over-priced as non AVA wines.

In fact, I just got home from presenting this week's class at the Wine and Culinary Center. The theme was labeling, and we tasted some Finger Lakes Riesling and Pinot Noir against counterpart Riesling and Pinot Noir with New York and American designations. No doubt that the FLakes wines were the better deal all around.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-03-2006).]

- Innkeeper - 08-04-2006

Other half of the bottle tonight with sauteed grouper in EVOO, seasoned with lime juice, granulated garlic, and Old Bay. Also enjoyed pilaf and English peas with it. The wine was a pleasant accompaniment.

- Innkeeper - 08-09-2006

Drank the whole second (hic) bottle last night with charcoal grilled mega chicken breast with sugar maple chips in the fire. Accompanied with roasted baby Yukon Golds, and spinach. Yum, yum; slurp, slurp.