WineBoard
TN: Beaujolais Nouveau and not so Nouveau - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Beaujolais/Gamays/Valdiguie (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: TN: Beaujolais Nouveau and not so Nouveau (/thread-13999.html)

- wondersofwine - 11-18-2005

Attended Beaujolais Nouveau dinner at St. Jacques in Raleigh last night. Wines were all from Georges Du Boeuf and two people that work with a wine distributor and one that imports wines were at my table.
Amuse bouche of croquant of goat cheese and caramelized onions passed around while we tasted the Beaujolais Nouveau. Crimson color, lighter at rim, halfway between transparent and opaque. Pleasant nose and taste with some length. Red berries. Well received at my table. I heard on the radio on the way to the dinner that this was a good Beaujolais vintage and perhaps bodes well for other Burgundy wines.

Appetizer was a Quiche Lorraine (bacon and Swiss cheese) with mixed greens. Very good. Served with 2002 Fleurie. Fleurie is usually one of my favorite Burgundy Crus but this didn't really do it for me. It didn't have the floweriness I expect in a Fleurie. However, it somehow matched the smoky bacon flavor of the quiche. Dark purple-red color, opaque. Leggy on the glass. Tasted a little "brooding" for a Fleurie. Almost a tannic taste which again is unusual for Fleurie.

After a palate refresher of lemon sorbet we were served sea bass and mushroom duxelles en croute (in puff pastry) on a red pepper/tomato cream sauce garnished with fresh spinach and a 2002 Moulin a Vent, Domaine de la Tour du Bief. I thought as did others at my table that the sea bass would never go with a red wine (salmon yes but not sea bass) but the mushrooms and the red pepper and tomatoes in the sauce helped deliver a good pairing. The Moulin a Vent had more finesse thatn the Fleurie. Well balanced with some structure and some elegance. I liked it.

Then we had small medallions of pork and pancetta served on a garlic and basil bechamel sauce, roasted red pepper and shredded potato galette with 2002 Morgon.
I was filling up at this point and couldn't eat all the pork but the sauce was delicious. The Morgon was not quite opaque. It had some earthiness to the nose when first poured along with a scent of berry mash. The taste on the palate was fruitier and less earthy than the nose. More pronounced "berriness" (invented word?) and less earthiness as it airs. Raspberry and strawberry both come to mind. I kept sipping from the remaining Moulin a Vent glass and the Morgon glass to decide my favorite of the evening and the Morgon won out. I ordered two bottles to be picked up later. (I think it was only $11 a bottle).
I could see purchasing the Moulin a Vent also if I didn't have some Beaujolais Cru already on hand that shouldn't be left too long.

Dessert was a fruit crepe (pineapple and orange I believe) with whipped creme. In tall Champagne flutes we had a Kir Royale made with reduction of Regnie and added sugar to make rather a syrupy base for the Champagne.

Another wonderful meal with good wine pairings.

- hotwine - 11-18-2005

Very nice notes yet again, Wonders.

Those wines you tasted are the best of Duboeuf's line-up IMO. Still have some of those from the '97 vintage (quite possibly goners by now).