WineBoard
Sancere quandry - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Loire Wines/Varieties/Chenin Blanc (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: Sancere quandry (/thread-13841.html)

- Blue - 01-27-2001

I am a pretty big fan of Sancere but there is something I have a hard time figuring out.

Every time I pop open one of these bottles I am delighted by the crisp tart flavors and the wine's flinty qualities and love those first couple glasses... Sancere goes so well with fish too...but what I can't seem to figure out is that as the evening wears on the wine begins to ....sorry I can't find the word I'm looking for in English, the word that comes to mind is "ecoeurer" which my dictionary translates as disgust....no that's not really what I mean....its more like a good very sweet chocolate...after a few you just can't have any more they are too sweet, I am "ecoeurer."

Anyway I find that Sancere and P. Fume often have the same effect on me, whether they be $10 bottles (tonights 1999 Les Champs Plots Sancere) or $50 bottles (Didier Dageneau's Pur Sang P.Fume). Do any of y'all experience that? My guess is that its the mineral taste that has that effect on me, but that's just a guess.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

- Innkeeper - 01-28-2001

Blue, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Most of the folks around here including moi enjoy SBs the way God made them, i.e. without such things as oak and artificial fermentations. The one drawback with these is what you experianced. When these wines are exposed to prolonged contact with air (oxygen) they develop what is called in the English wine lexicon, the "barnyard effect." This is not always a pejorative term. In certain districts of red Burgundy it is expected and admired. However, we are not fond of it on the nose or upfront taste in an SB. Solution, drink it up quickly.

- Thomas - 01-28-2001

I have another solution: switch to Sancerre reds--Pinot Noir, and wonderful with grilled salmon.

- Blue - 01-28-2001

Thanks IK, that's very usefull...Barnyard effect ...yeah that's a great description of that elusive taste.

Re Red Sancerre...Thanks for the tip I'll try them, I must say the only reds I have had from the region are the wines of Anjou (Gamay) and the Cabernet Franc based St. Nicolas de Bourgeuil. Are the red Sancerre's also C.F. based? Can you suggest a producer?

Thks - Blue

- Scoop - 01-30-2001

Sancerre reds are 100% Pinot Noir, whereas most other Loire reds are (predominately) Cab Franc-based. It makes sense, geographically at least, that Pinot Noir starts coming into play in the eastern districts of the Loire (ironically called "Centre"): they are the closest to Burgundy, and on the trade route between Burgundy and points north.

And, due to the more northerly latitude, the Sancerre version tends to be lighter, paler more acidic than its Burgundian relations, but that doesn't mean "inferior". They can have marvelous strawberry/cherry fruit with peppery notes, and they are extremely food food-friendly.

Certainly worth trying.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Blue - 01-30-2001

btw Innkeeper, where can I get more info on this Inn of yours? I'm looking for some romantic getaways for the spring

- Innkeeper - 01-30-2001

Our inn is retired, but my former colleagues would be glad to help you. Check out www.mainebedandbreakfast.com or www.waldocountymaine.com .