WineBoard
What to serve with artichokes - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What to serve with artichokes (/thread-1378.html)

- joeybishop1 - 02-22-2001

I want to start by saying that after I found this amazing Forum I have spent HOURS reading the entries that have been posted. I am a “weekend gourmet” that has enjoyed experimenting with new recipes for sometime now. I have been very frustrated when a recipe calls for “white wine”, giving no suggestions. As you might note, I live in Santa Maria, CA – in the heart of the Central Valley wine region and know nothing about wine. Recently our local community college has begun to offer a food and wine pairing class that I, along with a few friends, attended (featuring wines of Santa Barbara county). I am really excited about learning what wines to serve with a particular dish.

Our small group has decided to put together a tasting menu so that we can enjoy the experiences of our new knowledge. I have a recipe that I would like to include, but I need your help. The dish is called “Sautéed Shrimp with Orange Dust”. (The orange dust is finely ground dried orange peel). It is served over artichoke hearts simmered in “white wine”. After taking the class, I would have (based on very limited knowledge) gone with a Sauvignon Blanc, but after reading all of your responses, a Pinot Gris sounds like it would be more appropriate. I am looking, of course, for suggestions from the Central Coast for my first attempt.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

- hotwine - 02-22-2001

Welcome to the board, Joey. Personally, I think your first guess was correct - I would also choose a Sauvignon Blanc. But my choice would probably be French, since they tend to be less expensive here (about $10 typically) than the CA products, which are usually $14-$16. The CA SBs also tend to be real grassy in my opinion, while the Old World wines are more fruit-driven. One CA SB that we do like is Deerfield Ranch; last time I checked, production was only about 385 cases. It's available here for about $16.
Experiment! Decide for yourself! That's what it's all about. Again, welcome.

Gil

- winoweenie - 02-22-2001

Hi there JB1 and welcome to the board. Love your area and spend lots of time in the immediate area. (The Lamb Chops at the Madonna Inn are yummy).As far as your post, I haven't a clue being the resident REDDIE.Love some of the Syrahs and Pinots from your area. Good God, I'm vieing for the IK award! winoweenie

- Thomas - 02-23-2001

If the wine you select tastes metallic with the artichoke it is because that happens to be one of the most difficult foods to pair with wine.

- mrdutton - 02-23-2001

I don't think you'd go wrong using an inexpensive sauvignon blanc or white Bordeaux as your "white wine" for cooking the chokes........

Chokes are very difficult to match with wine, since they contain a chemical that turns most wines sweet and bland. However, a light, very dry Sauvignon Blanc is the classic match for chokes.

Never cook with anything you would not drink, which I am sure you already know! You can also, then, use the same wine as the accompaniment for the dish when it is presented.

- Botafogo - 02-23-2001

My favorite "wine" to match with chokes is Belgian Wit Beire, a creamy ale made from wheat and flavored with dried Curacao orange peel and Coriander. Works GREAT!!!! (also with asparagus)

Roberto