WineBoard
Chateau d'Epire Savennieres - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Loire Wines/Varieties/Chenin Blanc (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: Chateau d'Epire Savennieres (/thread-13726.html)

- Innkeeper - 08-25-2003

1999 Chateau d'Epire, Cuvee Speciale, Savennieres ($9.99 Chambers Street Wines). This was highly recommended by David at Chambers Street as "lean and intense in a good way." I think this is the same David that used to handle Loire wines at Garnet. At any rate, his remarks were an understatement. This was the best chenin blanc I have ever had in my life, and the best white under $10 this year. On top of all that it is a fantastic value.

Honey gold color for the eye. No honey on the nose though as the wine was booone dry. There was some lemon and even a little quince on the nose and upfront. Incedibly intense well balanced complexity crosses the palate, and the finish compares with the expensive side of White Burgundies. It was one of those I had to arm wrestle the better half for a fair share.

We ended up quaffing it after a four hour car ride and and hour and half ferry ride, all in the fog. Fortunately it was our only foggy day. The last three have been drop dead georgeous. In retrospect we should have asked our host if we could bring it to dinner. Dinner turned out to be Coquilles Saint-Jacques. The Savennieres would have gone perfectly with them. As it turned out the 13% alcohol had us showing up for dinner half louped. So we looked for and found nothing suitable by the glass to go with the scallops. So, I had a beer, and she had water. Yetch!

I very highly recommend this wine. It would go not only with shellfish, but with almost anything calling for a white wine. Look for it, or go to www.chambersstwines.com

- Innkeeper - 10-03-2003

Sipping on bottle number two (of original purchase) tonight after a full day and evening of our Fling Into Fall activities. Life is good.

- Bucko - 10-03-2003

I missed this note originally. Darn good wine at a killer price that you just don't see much anymore. The Loire still offers value for now but price are rising.

- Scoop - 10-15-2003

Sounds like a winner, IK. BTW, the NYT focused on Chenin Blanc in their biweekly "Wines of the Times" feature this week. Vouvray figured most prominently in 24 bottle sampling -- although some South African ("Steen") and other "New World" examples were also tossed in -- and it also took the top-rated spot, a demi-sec from Domaine d'Orfeuilles ($13.00). Savennieres was (shockingly) either not represented or did not place among the 4 panelists.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Innkeeper - 10-15-2003

Got the last five bottles from Chambers Street. Sorry! Ordered six, but David got back to me recommending a Cazin Cheverny for the missing one. All arrived today (including six more of the Saumur-Champigny), and am looking forward to trying the Cheverny which is an SB.

- Innkeeper - 02-21-2004

Popped another of the Savennieres last night with OO & butter sauteed tilapia fillets, rolls, and salad. Great match and the wine is holding just fine.

- Innkeeper - 07-10-2004

It's all gone! Daughter and family rolled in last night and hubby is a wine drinker. We served broiled sea scallops for adults and fish sticks for kids. The Savennieres matched perfectly, and thus went the last two bottles. Sigh!