WineBoard
Favorite Wines Opened in 2010 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Favorite Wines Opened in 2010 (/thread-13643.html)

- Innkeeper - 01-08-2011

Admittedly heavy on TJ as usual:

1996 Mayacamas, Napa Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon.

2003 Tobin James, Black Magic, Petite Sirah.

2004 Tobin James, Silver Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon.

2005 Tobin James, James Gang Reserve, Arroyo Grande Valley, Tempranillo.

2005 Tobin James, Silver Reserve, Lagrein.

2005 Tobin James, French Camp, Zinfandel.

2005 Tobin James, James Gang Reserve, Refosco.

2005 Tobin James, James Gang Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah.

2007 Dr Konstantin Frank, Finger Lakes, Rkatsiteli.

2008 Anthony Road, Finger Lakes, Semi-Dry Riesling.

- TheEngineer - 05-28-2011

How did I miss this post? I'm gonna think of this first

- winoweenie - 05-28-2011

The one I had for lunch yesterday. WW

- TheEngineer - 05-28-2011

Going back on my posts, it's clearly been a great year for me personally for great wine. And the biggest surprise of them all are that my two fav varietals did not even register in the top ten....Riesling and Pinot Noir. Not that I did not have good R and PN but I've really been privileged to have had these others to try. BTW, my wine of the decade currently is NV Duval-Leroy ....I will need to explain. I drink exactly 1/2 sometimes a bit more of this every night that I'm in London, about 35% of my time. With my schedule, being away from home and family, and some increasingly difficult demands, frankly it is the only thing keeping me sane...and that is a lot to ask of a wine. Smile I probably go through 10-15 cases a year.......... thank god I don't have to pay for it Smile

So the wines of the year for me are in order

(1) 1980 Heitz Bella Oaks: incredible that it has lasted this long and incredible that it has remained so primal and yet has about 1/2 the complexity of Martha's.
(2) 1985 Robert Modavi Reserve from Magnum. And incredible wine with some power and density that has mellowed and is a great textbooks example of what an aged Californian can be like. Glorious
(3) 1996 Cain 5 Top three wines for me around our a California Sweep.. not an easy thing for me for those of you that know me :0 this thing was opened beside an 2002 Haut Brion and it simply performed. Nuff said
(4) 2002 Haut Brion: forget the weak vintage, like the 2002 Clos Rougeard that made my jaw drop this thing is spellbinding. REALLY worth a look if you can afford it and best of all, its the most affordable HB in the last decade plus now
(5) 2006 Mica: Latour for $60.
(6) 2006 O Fournier Alfa Crux Malbec, must have been the ARgentinian air and the argntinian steaks...but this thing was mental big and still very attractive.
(7) 1997 Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port,.........OMG.....
(8) 2000 Raveneau Chablis Montee de Tonnerre, A most complex Chablis and one of great balance and interest...kept me going back and back and back...
(9) 2001 Tua Rita Giusto de Norte: A secret love,...a powerhouse of an italian
(10) 1976 Joseph Phelps Insignia, another CA Napa wine to close out the list.

Looking back, what a thrilling list and it did not even includes the Yquems and Lafites of the world...okay one HB......but spread the pricing spectrum with the NV starting at $25...many of the older CA's still had their $7.99 sticker on them..... Smile

Thanks for the trip IK!!

- winoweenie - 05-29-2011

Doth me tired old eyes see what they see???? The mity Eng giving homage to alla' the Calis!!! Going back if you ever get the chance to get hold of either aa 77 Bella Oaks or 75 Phelps Insignia forget the cost if the proveneance is rite as they are 2 of the greatest bottle ever the cross these wizened lips. The Insignia was made from primarily Eisele grapes afore'Bart Araju cornered the vineyard and the Bella was before Bella & Barney Rhodes had to relocate their vineyard. WW

- TheEngineer - 05-29-2011

WW,

Not difficult to pay homage to this list of Cali's no? and I did not even include some early 80's and 90's ridge, BV, Freemark Abbey, etc,.. On the 77 Bell and 75 Insignia, I will most definitely do that! I've seen the 75 Insignia on the auction market and would've jumped in for that. If I ever find these, I'll make an all points call for those near me and we can open these up so that a few can try.

REcently at an auction, I waded in deep for a 3 magnum lot of 1979 Heitz Martha's but lost out. Did pick up a 1981 Heitz Martha's recently in Magnum. Fill into neck still Smile Also, picked up a mini vertical of Cain, starting with the 1985, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999. I'm looking forward to trying the 1985 the most...might be over the hill but still wanna see it.

Mike