WineBoard
Pasta and Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Pasta and Wine (/thread-1364.html)

- Tarheel - 12-10-1999

I know that wine is the preferred topic of choice, but I was hoping to get recipie suggestion as well as wine pairing advice. (As I have read wonderful culinary advice on this board prior) There is a pasta dish that I love from this great Italian restaurant that consists of farfalle, spinach, tomatoes, and goat cheese. Seems simple, but before I take on the challenge myself any advice would be appreciated (as I am new to the kitchen) Also, any wine suggestions? Note-we both are red wine drinkers and live on the east coast.
Thanks in advance! Love this board!

- Thomas - 12-11-1999

Not being familiar with the dish you post, I can only say general things like: do not overcook the pasta (8 to 10 minutes in already boiling water--I lean toward the 8 side for firm "al dente" pasta).

Spinach is tricky. First, it needs to be fresh and crisp and cleaned well. Perhaps someone who knows the dish will disagree, but I would cook the spinach separately, and then add it back to the dish on serving. To cook it, just a quick wilting in a mixture of olive oil and butter (maybe a dash of sugar, if you are inclined).

The rest of the stuff, the tomato and cheese, I suppose is chopped and fresh.

And where is the garlic? Got to have garlic; perhaps maybe even a shallot.

If you are not a white wine drinker at all, then you should stay with a fruity, but light red.

- Randy Caparoso - 12-18-1999

Re your question about wine matching: Take a look at your ingredients. Fresh tomato is both sweet/fruity and acidic. So is goat cheese -- earthy and slightly acidic. Spinach is a slightly acidic vegetable -- which is why it often wreaks havoc on lower acid reds (it looks innocent, but it isn't).

See where I'm going. If anything, drink a light to medium bodied red with moderate tannin and, most importantly, a slightly acidic edge. There are lots of wines like this, thank goodness. Chianti Classico and Rosso di Montalcino from Tuscany, and Barbera and Dolcetto from Piemonte are some of the more easy-to-find examples. Chianti is made from the Sangiovese grape, and now California wineries are putting out some very attractive Sangiovese varietal bottlings that can do the trick just as well as most Italian reds. And people like Louis Martini and Sebastiani have been making great California grown Barbera for years.

There is one more wine that might make an off-beat, but interesting, match. Because goat cheese is an earthy/sharp element, a pungently earthy, mildly weedy red varietal with a slight body and slightly crisp acidity which matches up happens to be Cabernet Franc. The classic Cabernet Franc based reds of the world come from France (Chinon, Bourgueil or Saumur-Champigny from the Loire River), although there is a small number of California wineries who also put out decent tasting varietal Cabernet Franc (Niebaum-Coppola, Cosentino, Nelson, and Crocker & Starr are among my current favorites).

Okay? Good luck!