WineBoard
Wine, what are saving it for? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Wine, what are saving it for? (/thread-13601.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Jason - 03-31-1999

Don't worry all, we will get there. I don't know of any point in history that the 20-30's drank wine in force.
Lets not forget economics as well. Most people my age are not exactly in the "power earning" years, but I never see younger people drinking jug wine, its never done.
This explains the low per capita. Hence, the beer and cider, and then on to wine for most.
Per capitas are down all over in traditionally big wine countries. The less, but better rule is taking hold there too.
Also, as the workplace gets more competitive, the 2 hr. "siesta" lunch is quickly dying. You can't keep up after splitting a bottle with your friend.
The kicker is that these countries can not export this leftover plonk either, as they will not be competitive on the world market. Thus, more fine wine (and less jug) being produced.
So many countries/regions are striving for quality and int'l shipping is such that no one has a captive audience anymore, even in their home market. Everyone is being educated at such a pace that inferior product is simply left on the shelf. Worldwide, when the next generation of consumers hits - watch out. We are already buying $5 beers, and watched our parents go from "Chablis" to Chard. There is no going back.

- Thomas - 04-02-1999

Jason,

Hope so!

Let me make a stupid prediction here: at the next economic turn-down in the U.S., which gen x'ers have yet to experience, the majority of those who got the wine habit will wonder why they can't find a decent bottle of wine at a decent price.

The answer they will come to is: because no one is producing it. And then, the next bust cycle for wine will have begun.

I have seen young stockbrokers throwing around c-notes in New York restaurants for "the best wine you got" without a clue as to the quality or pedigree of the wine. That is excess, not enjoyment, and I doubt if it produces a dedicated following.

I have also read that microbrewries are not living up to expectations of just a few years ago. Perhaps that "fad" is fading.

- Jason - 04-02-1999

I have heard the same with the microbrew thing. So many labels and it was so hot that it had to cool off eventually. Seems like cigars. Both have come back down to earth, but we also got a significant chunk who stayed with it and appreciate it still.
I do think there is plenty of quality and inexpensive wine out there though. These are some of the most exciting for me. Whats the wine shop that has nothing over $10 and is owned by young guys and aimed at a similiar clientele? I forget the name, but they have a whole store full of them.

- Randy Caparoso - 04-03-1999

It's called Best Cellars, Jason -- in the middle of Manhattan, Boston, and soon in Seattle and elsewhere. But guess what -- it's not an enlightened Xer who's doing it, it's a 40-something named Joshua Wesson, who was once named "Best Sommelier in the World" or some ridiculous thing ten years ago. All of his stores feature exactly 100 selections of exactly one kind of wine only $10 and under. The shocker is not so much that he can find them and stock his shelves to the max, but he finds some real gems -- lots and lots of them! If you don't believe me, just walk into one of his stores during his free afternoon tastings, which he does everyday! It just goes to show that it can be done by anyone who puts their mind to it. Problem with many of us, we stop looking pretty quickly after we get the "wine bug." So we have only but ourselves to kick if we complain "Ya can't find a decent, cheap bottle of wine." Or is it "whine?" (No offense -- just that this is as clever as I get).

- Thomas - 04-03-1999

Josh Wesson is a true go-getter, and he is young at heart. he also knows how to sell wine.