WineBoard
Isobel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Isobel (/thread-13595.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Drew - 09-19-2003

Well, filed an insurance claim first thing this am, was quick and easy. Tree guy came over and is making arrangements for a crane to come in and remove the tree sometime within the next 48 hours then we'll work on contractors to repair the holes in the roof and garage ceiling. The area looks like a war zone. BTW, Bucko, I told the tree what you said...he said come over and say that to his face, sez he eats chain saws, which I can verify, had to replace the bar on my homlite already today. Not a new house, IK, just a big ole' home in the woods built in '74. For as much damage as we got the aftermath is going smoothly, and I'm thankful. Thanks to all for your concerns. Now, lets all talk like a pirate! ARRR, I'm signing off now to go shiver some more timbers...ARRRRG.

Drew

- Thomas - 09-19-2003

Geez Drew, I just got online since yesterday; you surely have had a hell of a year in MD.

My wife was working in Florida, got stuck in Orlando. She was to leave yesterday by Amtrak--no way. She called from a rented car a little while ago, from Savannagh (where she ate crab cakes she claims were as good as they get). She's driving all the way to the Finger Lakes, where we've had some strong winds, scattered tree arms, but nothing major.

- ShortWiner - 09-19-2003

Take it you won't be at is-wine tomorrow, foodie. Too bad--I'm coming by with my wife in the evening. If you will be there let me know--I have some guava products for us to try (remember that thread?)

- Thomas - 09-19-2003

Sorry, I will not be there this weekend--next, but not this one.

Guava--oh yes, I remember.

- Bucko - 09-19-2003

Homelight? That's like Roberto's appetizer car. You need an SUV of chainsaws like mine, a Stihl. Let me at that tree, let me at it........ [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] Glad things are going smooth in a trying time.

- Drew - 09-19-2003

Stihl huh, I thought I saw you on one of the PBS productions of lumberjack games recently.

Drew

- Thomas - 09-20-2003

So Drew, my wife called last night from the border of Virginia--no hotel space available. She was forced to keep driving until she got to Laurel, MD, where her brother lives. Trying to make arrangements for him to meet her was a trip in itself, what with he without power and both she and he with limited cell phone juice, and me in the Finger Lakes organizing the whole thing.

She made it by 2 AM, and everyone got some sleep, including I who was here worrying into the night.

Why in this so-called great and advanced nation do power lines still hang above ground? And why is European cell phone technology far superior to ours?

- Drew - 09-20-2003

Well I'm glad she got home safe...she should have stopped here and stayed in the TREE HOUSE!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img].

Drew

- Bucko - 09-20-2003

Foodie, I know how you feel with your woman on the road. Carole had to drive from Seattle to Phoenix many years ago for a military thing. Had I known WW was lurking in Phoenix, I would have sent her armed. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hope all continues to go well.

- hotwine - 09-20-2003

Glad to hear everyone got home safely. Picking up D this afternon at the airport in light rain, but that just makes for smooth flying, no bouncy-bounce.

Agree about Stihl saws, Buckster. Have one of their humongous polesaws, works like a charm in trimming off broken tree limbs, like at the ranch last weekend. Main saw is a 10 year old McCulloch, the biggest they made then. Just waiting for it to croak for an excuse to get another Stihl.

- wondersofwine - 09-20-2003

Don't know about European cell phone technology being superior, but in most European countries the regular phone system is far behind and far more expensive!

- Thomas - 09-20-2003

WOW, I have used cell phones in Europe--transmission is as clear as our land-line phones (with the exception of my rural phone system) transmission rarely, if ever, breaks up.

But forget the phones, think of how much money can be saved in power outage repairs, and losses due to outages, if the money were spent up-front to upgrade so that power lines were buried instead of hung on poles. The lines could be encased in tubing for safety and to prevent decay or vermint damage. This could be the next WPA for the U.S.!!!

- Innkeeper - 09-20-2003

Believe it or not Isobel treated us to a four hour power outage today!!!!

- Georgie - 09-20-2003

Geesh..that girl just won't die without a fight. Glad it was only four hours, IK. Glad too, that everybody's loved ones are safe and sound.

- winoweenie - 09-20-2003

Foddie-i-poo. I was raggin' to some telephone people several years ago about the same thing when the transformer in my backyard exploded. I was informed that the poles were amortized on a 27 year basis for taxes and as soon as they were written off the lines would be buried. 'Aint that keen? ww [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img]

- Botafogo - 09-20-2003

Drew, sorry to hear about your house, that really sucks (or blows, actually)! I did not realize this thread was about the storm as I thought the hurracane was named IsAbel...

Email me a street address and I will send a contribution to the mental well-being fund in the form of a nice bottle (but dont drink and chain saw, pa-lease), Roberto

WineExpo@earthlink.net

- tandkvd - 09-20-2003

Sorry to hear about your house Drew. I hope all goes well with the insurance. I hate dealing with that.

I can't believe Iasabel affected you all the way in Main IK. That was one stubbern woman!
Although she missed us. We had a few breeses and a little rain. And my sons football game was postponed till monday.

- winedope1 - 09-22-2003

Glad all made it through ok!! So sorry to hear about your house Drew!!! Tell that tree who's boss. Stihl saws are the best. Fortunately for us, we just got some high winds and a lot of rain. The worst we suffered was a flooded garage and a few overturned and broken plants. The surf was beautiful to see- from a distance of course. Unfortunately a couple of people ventured too close and the fierce undertow got them.

- Innkeeper - 09-22-2003

The following was recieved from Mike Dutton last night (September 21):

"We left the area on September 17th and returned on September 19th. We went to Raleigh, NC and visited with my nephew and his wife and children. We had a wonderful time in Raleigh where the wind was no more than 40 mph and there was some rain.

We came home to lots of tree limbs and branches in the yard, two trees completely destroyed. However the house was still standing and was intact and undamaged. There was no power, so I fired up the generator.

Power was restored today.

I have been working my tail off trying to get the yard cleaned-up. The pile of debris in front of the house is 10 feet tall and about 12 feet in diameter."

- hotwine - 09-22-2003

Thanks, IK, glad to hear Mike's family made it through the storm.