WineBoard
Happy Father's Day! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Happy Father's Day! (/thread-13579.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 06-14-2003

Just want to wish all of my favorite dads out there a very happy day tomorrow. Hope your Father's Day is full of love, appreciation, good eats and good wine! I'd love to hear about your plans!

- hotwine - 06-14-2003

Thanks, Georgie. Plans? Dunno.... haven't been informed yet, beyond early service and breakfast. Gotta be flexible.

- Innkeeper - 06-14-2003

Thanks Georgie. We are heading for Grand Manan tomorrow for a week with one of our daughters and family. Will be staying in the same cottage that Willa Cather stayed in during the summertime. Daughter is bringing her laptop, so we should be staying in touch. For those of you who don't know where Grand Manan is, good. We like to keep it a secret.

- Bucko - 06-14-2003

I've been called a Mother before. Does that count? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm on call at the hospital. I'll be helping sick fathers -- that is reward enough for me.

My father is dead, but the memories are there. You spending time with your father, Georgie?

- Georgie - 06-15-2003

Only in spirit. My dad's been gone for 23 years now. Died way too early at age 60. But like you and so many others out there I have great memories. Crabbing in the river, raking "shedders" out of the surf on a summer evening, Sunday drives with the Dodgers game playing on the radio and backyard bar-b-cues. My dad was a cop and believe it or not, I can still remember how it felt to hug him when he came home from work; the cool, hard feel of his badge and buttons and the smell of cigars mixed with peppermint gum.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 06-15-2003).]

- JagFarlane - 06-15-2003

LoL well my dad is at the gym right now, but have some birthday crepe` paper up [its his birthday as well...49 and damned well doesn't look it], some balloons, will have to ask if he wants the cake I bought [fortunatly in mix], and two bottles of wine awaiting him in his gift hehehehehehe.

- tandkvd - 06-15-2003

Having my Dad and brothers over for lunch. I was going to grill some steaks. But was out voted by brothers.
But will enjoy the time with Dad.

Happy Fathers Day to all Dads out there!

By the way what wine would go with Bojangles Chicken!

Maby I'll open a bottle tonight and make some of WW's Tobasco popcorn.

- curious - 06-15-2003

I'll pass on the well wishes to hubby, for him, he is grilling out salmoon (he enjoys grilling). Along with that is corn on the cob and baked potato. Dessert is his favorite, pineapple unside down cake.
Will have either Tosti Asti Italian Sparkling, or Ballatore Rosso Red Spumante.

Hubby's dad died several years ago, mine is alive, but suffers from dementia so is hard to be around, he relives the war (WWII).

That is our Father's day here.
Curious (Janette)

- winoweenie - 06-15-2003

My baby-backs have been smoking since 8:00 am and are really looking good. Using Hickory and mesquite cahrsoal brickettes. Jes' hush up hotsie. I don' gots no derned PECAN. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] Ww [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img](Happy Pappy-Jammer Day to all.)

- hotwine - 06-15-2003

I use oak, WW. South Texas live oak. Well-seasoned by drying on a rack for 6-12 months.

Heard this morning that a little twister went across the ranch yesterday and knocked off a bunch of big oak limbs....sounds like an excuse to visit with chainsaw in hand to clean up the mess and bring back another load of wood.

- hotwine - 06-15-2003

Dinner turned out to be grilled red snapper on a bed of steamed rice, with a pesto of fresh basil, chopped garlic & tomatoes, pine nuts, olive oil and grated Parmesan, accompanied by Tommasi Pinot Grigio, 2001. Purr-fecto! And a phone call from daughter. Doesn't get any better.

Missin' my own pop, the best friend I ever had, now gone 21 years.

- Georgie - 06-15-2003

Ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta! and the weenie passes the 5000 mark! And every one a gem, ladies and gentlemen!

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 06-15-2003).]

- winedope1 - 06-16-2003

glad to hear that all had a good day. I was thinking of my own Dad- gone 10 years now and raised a glass to him. Of course, he wasn't a wine drinker, but I just couldn't bring myself to have one of his favorite. He was a devoted Manhattan drinker. Ugh. However,as a child I used to steal the cherry from his drink. On one occasion I remember dipping the cherry back into his drink repeatedly. He didn't notice and I eventually fell onto the floor, giggling. WD

- hotwine - 06-16-2003

That's a wonderful image, WD. Can just picture a little halfpint putting one over on her dad; that's the kind of thing my daughter took great delight in at the ripe old age of maybe 3 or 4.

I failed to mention dessert, which accompanied the Spurs' 4th quarter come-from-behind win over the Joisey Nets in the NBA finals..... hot blueberry cobbler a al mode with the last of my '92 Warre's LBV port (sob!) Had a "Spurs hangover" this morning, sleeping in until 0600 (vs the usual 0400).

- Georgie - 06-16-2003

Hmph!and I'll bet it was this Jersey girl who gave you the idea for the hot blueberry cobbler a la mode! I don't think I love it that you were eating it while the Nets were losing...have to think about this one...

- winedope1 - 06-16-2003

mmmmmm-tell me it was homemade! just used the last jar of my put up blueberries. I guess I' one of a disappearing group. I love to put up fruits and veggies! Anyone else out there do this?

- hotwine - 06-16-2003

Of course, WD! Although these blueberries were (sort of) fresh - arrived at the supermarket yesterday morning. But we keep fruit in the freezer and dump a bunch into high-protein milkshakes after hitting the gym each morning. Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and bananas all get blended with protein powder, flaxseed oil, low-fat milk, water and a little ice for a big 'shake for breakfast; I then put half of it back in the fridge for a mid-morning snack. That's helped a bunch in getting my weight down below 220 for the first time in quite a while.... currently 215... but dang! it takes a lot of sweat to keep it there!

Georgie, the Nets played a great game. I thought for sure we were toast for three quarters last night. If Jason Kidd had had more help, we would have been. We need to entice that guy into bolting for S.A., now that he's a free agent!

- hotwine - 06-18-2003

Georgie, I didn't know about Jason Kidd's background until reading a column in the San Antonio Express-News this morning, quoted from yesterday's edition of Newsday (online at http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-hey0617,0,2287973.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists)

We don't want him afterall.... you can keep him.

- Georgie - 06-18-2003

That's a good article. Truthfully, I haven't been following the Nets; just glad to see a Jersey team in the finals. Kidd must be a real jerk. No team needs anybody like him.

- JagFarlane - 06-18-2003

Hey Georgie...the Devils did WIN the Stanley Cup this year...so that was a Jersey team in the finals. =P...anyways...never been a basketball fan...rather much prefer the NFL, where the QB of my fav team, da Eagles [and yes I have been a fan of theirs since I was a kid, so no razzing bout jumping on the bandwagon as they got good], goes to church, and is an all-round nice guy. Oh and as for the NBA...they really really should stop drafting guys straight outta high school or a first year of college, puts all sorts of pressure on a guy to leave college or not go to college at all.