WineBoard
Canadian wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Canadian wines (/thread-13509.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Auburnwine - 08-21-2002

Ah, an intervention of Dionysus? I can't wait to get home to check the mail.

(Yes, they do allow delivery of WS here!)

[This message has been edited by Auburnwine (edited 08-21-2002).]

- Scoop - 08-21-2002

Just so we are clear: I was referring to the Wall St. Journal (WSJ), not the Speculator.

Cheers,

Scoop

- hotwine - 08-21-2002

Thanks for pointing out that WSJ article, Scoop. I had missed it in the online edition, and won't see the print version until tomorrow (I give my 90-year-old mom first crack at it; reading the Journal is a highlight of her day).

- wondersofwine - 08-21-2002

I think Scoop was referring to Wall Street Journal, not Wine Spectator, but there are several states involved in lawsuits to remove some of the interstate restrictions on wine shipments.

- Botafogo - 08-21-2002

Am I the only one who noted that the entire premise of that article is that there are only two sources for wine: Dot Com Sites and Winery direct? Hunh?!?!?

No mention WHATSOEVER of you as a consumer being a customer of quality, specialized Retailers (who might actually remember yourname and tastes) in various states and wanting to get your orders without legal hassle....very strange.

Roberto

- Thomas - 08-22-2002

Roberto, you must know by now that almost ALL so-called news articles are written with an agenda!

- Auburnwine - 08-22-2002

Sorry, I didn't notice the J at the end of WSJ (darn these fading super powers!). However, the WS did have an article on that topic. We seem to be shooting for a Supreme Court ruling. The courts have changed other things in Alabama, so....

- chittychattykathy - 08-23-2002

Winer,
You were most definitely in the wrong two stores here in Seattle. (Which two by the way? hmmm?) I've seen a decent amount of WA wines in shops from White Rock to downtown Vancouver BC, but it's true, not as many as one would think would be available. As for buying from smaller wineries here in WA,
I buy a lot of smaller production wines straight from the wineries. I must say that there's something very relaxing about having just the winemaker deliver the wine to your store.
Boto speaks the truth. Sometimes there are so many promos, samples, dinners, cruises and give-aways it makes me wonder how they could possibly be making money on there (inflated) wines?!

- Innkeeper - 08-26-2002

Enjoyed a Cave Springs Riesling with our anniversay dinner (#39) a the Whale Cove Restaurant on Grand Manan Island, NB last Saturday night. Matched nicely with tempura style shrimp with a whipped yogurt and herb dipping sauce, lobster bisque, and scallops sauteed in truffle oil and well garnished. Dessert was frozen peach mousse with raspberry coulee. Also enjoyed two baskets of the best baguettes and Danish butter that we've had in a long time. The whole dinner with wine came to $100 C for the two of us, plus tax and tip taking it up to $135 C. Wonderful.

- winer - 08-27-2002

Chittychattykathy:
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I don't remember the names or addresses of the two stors, but both were in the Pikes Market area - one just adjacent to the market, and one closer to downtown. The last time I was there was almost a year ago.

Can you recommend any Washington State wines that are available in BC? I am partial to merlots at the moment, or pinot gris. The merlots that are available are typically pricey ($25 to $50 Cdn a bottle). Some of the wineries (acording to the LDB list) are Columbia Crest, Columbia, Arbor Crest, Canoe Ridge or Covey Run.