WineBoard
Two more sad deaths in Iraq - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Two more sad deaths in Iraq (/thread-13501.html)

- wondersofwine - 01-12-2004

Didn't know either personally but just aware of local news stories. CPT Kimberly Hampton, 27, was a helicopter pilot shot down near Fallujah (sp?) One of the local reporters was embedded with her unit while they were in Kuwait and so they had some shots of her exiting her helicopter, etc. She was planning to marry another pilot next summer I believe, and was a tennis star in high school and college. She had wanted to be a pilot since the third grade.
Chief Warrant Officer Aaron Weaver, 29, was on the medical transport that was shot down. He had cancer and fought to go to Iraq with his unit when he could have stayed behind. He was married with a stepson and infant daughter. He was also involved in the action in Somalia and was portrayed in "Black Hawk Down" as one of the helicopter pilots that went in as reinforcements after two choppers were shot down. (Correction: I've learned that he was a sergeant during Black Hawk Down--not a pilot at that time.)
One soldier I had met personally at my workplace was Corporal Mark Bibby, an African American with a very personable, likable manner. He had completed four years in the Army and was attending college as a business major when his reserve unit was scheduled to deploy to Iraq. He was not on the roster since he was new to the reserve unit, but asked to go because of his recent military experience. He was in a Civil Affairs unit and was killed on the road going for water from a water tank station. Not in a combat situation.
My heart's heavy today. God bless all those service members and their families. Fortunately, one member of my church serving in Iraq with an artillery unit, is safely back from his duty. He was also in Afghanistan in the last two years.

I didn't intend to put a smiley face on this post. This one definitely calls for a sad face.
[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 01-12-2004).]

- hotwine - 01-12-2004

Sympathies, Wow. Know the feeling. Casualty reports are sure beginning to sound familiar.

- winoweenie - 01-12-2004

My sypathies also WOW. Hopefully the lads will get those idiots cleaned out shortly and come back home.WW

- Tastevin - 01-19-2004

Sympathies from here in England too. Hands across the sea. T.

- wondersofwine - 01-20-2004

Thanks, all. Hope we can bring some form of democracy and stability to Iraq without it being taken over by Taliban-like elements.

(That was supposed to be Iraq, not Iran as I typed the first time.)

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 01-20-2004).]