WineBoard
Hold onto your wallets! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Hold onto your wallets! (/thread-13444.html)

Pages: 1 2

- hotwine - 01-04-2005

The 109th is in session. Can hardly wait for their tax & spend proposals.

- wondersofwine - 01-05-2005

George W's deficits make Clinton look like a conservative.

- Glass_A_Day - 01-05-2005

Yeah well.... argh.... Holding my tongue before foodie and I start doing our thing. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Glass_A_Day (edited 01-05-2005).]

- hotwine - 01-05-2005

Clinton didn't have two wars to fight, just an aspirin factory and several bimbo eruptions. The economy is in a very steady growth run now, and should continue for at least the next year.

Have you started a business lately? If not... you're late.

- wondersofwine - 01-05-2005

I know I should probably hold my tongue, but...our current President had one war to fight--against terrorism, especially Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan. Iraq was not an Al Qaeda stronghold before we went in there. Bush was determined to have a war against Iraq and his administration deceived the Congress and country into believing it was necessary. Now look at the mess we are in. I will admit that I reluctantly came to the conclusion that we might have to take on Saddam Hussein after reading the book "Saddam's Bombmaker" which suggested that Saddam was close to making or securing atomic weapons. It now appears that he was further away from his goals than we thought. Iraq didn't pose an immediate threat to the U.S. but Bush was determined to go to war. God bless all our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq (and get them home soon). We lost another Special Forces soldier in Afghanistan this past week--one that used to come to the library and sign up to use the computers.

- Thomas - 01-05-2005

Hotwine ,

I thought Dems were the tax and spend crowd. The governmet is R controlled--all the way. Who will they blame--even Saddam is gone??? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

Proves my overriding point: all politics isn't local, it's corrupt, and all politicians are F of S.

Don't worry GAD; I have vowed not to argue online anymore. Just make some general comments like the above and let others do the steaming, but I do think WOW has said what she said quite well.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-05-2005).]

- hotwine - 01-05-2005

I firmly believe all politicians are spend-aholics, and differ only in the programs they choose to receive their largesse.

As for Iraq: Was Saddam an immediate threat to the U.S.? Probably not, although I'm not privy to current intel. I have absolutely no doubt that he posed an immediate threat to Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and other oil producers in the Middle East; for he had ably demostrated both the means and the will to use WMD on his enemies (Iran in the 80's) and his own people (Kurds in the 90's), and would have used them again but for his mortal fear of the U.S. All he had to do in Aug 1990 was to press the attack into Saudi Arabia, instead of halting his advance at the Kuwait border; imagine a Saudi royal family held hostage, and how we could have responded. And imagine such a scenario unfolding again in 2002-03, had Pres. Bush not launched Op. Iraqi Freedom. I say God bless George W. Bush and our fighting men (and women, if any of them are) for taking on a job that needed to be done, and for killing the bastards over there so I don't have to in my backyard.

- Innkeeper - 01-05-2005

As even the most strident boo hoos are insisting there are Al Qaeda terrorists streaming into Iraq. That is just fine by me. Would much rather fight them there than fight them here.

- Thomas - 01-05-2005

Guys, I don't want to argue about this matter. I do, however, want to ask a question for personal clarification, to understand what you really mean by being glad the fight is over there and not over here.

It has been determined by more than one person (experts in the field, including CIA), that Saddam had no ties to Al Quaeda--in fact, there was no love between him and Bin L. And that Iraq had nothing to do with the WTC tragedy.

Are you suggesting that it is better to invade another country--any country--in order to draw out the people we don't want to have attacking us at home?

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-05-2005).]

- hotwine - 01-05-2005

Foodster, Hussein intended his weapons programs to intimidate his neighbors and thus control the ME oil producers... I have no doubt about that. And he was succeeding in dodging UN sanctions by bribing key members with oil allotments at bargain prices. As for a direct link between him and Al Queda.... have no idea, but Abu Nidal was given sanctuary in Bahgdad until turning up his toes a year or so ago; and that character was a charter member of the Arab terrorist network, call it Al Queda or whatever. I don't care what group each slimeball pledges allegiance to, I put 'em all in the same slimeball basket.

- dananne - 01-05-2005

From looking at the subject of this thread, I was thinking it was going to be about the prices of French wine! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

- thewoodman - 01-05-2005

"for he had ably demostrated both the means and the will to use WMD ...and would have used them again but for his mortal fear of the U.S."

Assuming he could remember where he hid them...

- Bucko - 01-05-2005

Nuke 'em, nuke 'em all. Make a glass skating rink out of the Mideast ...

No war is good, but the war was brought to us. It is up to us to finish it.

Americans have developed a McDonald's mentality. This is not a McDonald's war -- we're in for the long haul.

I am dismayed with the flag wavers of 9/11 who now cry for us to get out of Iraq. We are not privy to the intel, but I'll guarantee you Iraq was supporting terrorism.

We need to turn up the heat, not back off. We need to finish the job.

- Georgie - 01-06-2005

No matter what our political views, I think we agree that the troops need our support. We had a happy thing happen yesterday. Our class had participated in an Adopt-a-Platoon program in which we collected four big boxes of treats/supplies to be sent to a platoon who-knew-where. Yesterday we received a lovely thank you and a photo from a group of soldiers stationed in the hinterlands of Afghanistan. They'd hung up all the kids' cards in their "office." It really made our day to know that the things we sent actually reached some real people and are not sitting on a cargo plane someplace. Valentines are in the works! If interested, go to www.AdoptaPlatoon.org

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 01-06-2005).]

- winoweenie - 01-06-2005

My congrats not only to the kids but the troops for sending their thanks. Have long since stopped arguing politics or religion as wasting anything at my stage in life is nonesense. We do need to fight these maniacs on their turf or, as 9/11 showed, we will fight them on ours. WW

- Thomas - 01-06-2005

Hotwine:
"I put 'em all in the same slimeball basket."

Bucko:
"...but the war was brought to us."

Each of those sentiments makes me sad. But Bucko, yours makes me wonder. Since our own govt. says that Iraq had nothing to do with the WTC attack, are you deaf or just unwilling to accept the fact? Korea had nothing to do with it either, I guess we best attack them too, when we get enough soldiers in unifrom of course. Come to think of it, Sudan had nothing to do with it either--we need more armies!

It isn't that I am against waging war when it is necessary. One of the things I learned when I was in the Air Force during Vietnam is that politicians lie, cheat, scheme, manipulate us, and make truly horrid decisons--and while they live, the citizenry dies for their actions.

I shall post no more on the subject. Don't want to make it into another lengthy, but useless thread.

- Innkeeper - 01-06-2005

Thank you Georgie.

- hotwine - 01-06-2005

Good on the kids for their support and the troops for responding. It meant a lot to me when I was inundated with cards from my nieces' grade-school classmates when I was in 'Nam. The kids may not remember it 30-40 years from now, but the troops will.

- wondersofwine - 01-06-2005

Good projects Georgie. Keep it up. Several people from church sent letters to a soldier in Afghanistan (same unit as a sergeant that attended our church) who apparently didn't receive much mail. I never heard back from him but at least he received some mail from Fayetteville.

- Thomas - 01-06-2005

Yep. Letters from home (and packages) were always eagerly awaited and voraciously consumed. I do remember that feeling.