WineBoard
Bravo! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Bravo! (/thread-13404.html)

- hotwine - 12-17-2000

Kudos to Mr. Bush for inviting General Powell to be the next Secstate, and to the general for accepting the invitation. Have an abiding respect and admiration for the general, having been priveleged to be one of his many students in the U.S. Army's Infantry OCS program at Ft Benning in 1966. He was a superb instructor then as a young officer, and has continued to distinguish himself since. Am most grateful that he has agreed to serve his family, friends and neighbors once again.

- Bucko - 12-17-2000

Agree 100% -- smart move on Dubs part.

Bucko

- hotwine - 12-17-2000

You bet! W gets instant credibility with the troops AND 20% of the population. A very smart move indeed.

- barnesy - 12-17-2000

I don't think 20% of the population is that gullable that one appointment will gloss over some, interesting oversites. At least I certainly hope not. Its not like the Colin Powell appointment was a shocker. It was a no brainer. I just don't think the guy should be given credit for something that probably wasn't his idea nor should the results of this idea be for any other reason than Gen. Powell is probably one of the most qualified individuals, which he is.

Barnesy

- winoweenie - 12-18-2000

Barnsey, He will sign the appointment Paper ALL by his-very-own-self. At least give Dubs credit due: He`s got enough smarts to surround himself with the most qualified people for each job. winoweenie

- Thomas - 12-18-2000

ww, that ain't smarts--that's survival. If GW surrounded himself with GW clones he would fail in twenty minutes; he is the lightest of lightweights ever to have taken the office, in my quiet, reserved, humble opinion.

I predict that Powell will leave the post within a year or two, after he awakens to the fool on which he has placed his bet.

- Bucko - 12-18-2000

I disagree -- GW is a survivor, even though he has been set up for a fall. I think that he will fool everyone in pulling together Congress and the nation. I will enjoy watching the unfolding drama......

Bucko

- winoweenie - 12-19-2000

I too disagree Foodster. Dubs has the inate street smarts lacking in our outgoing and wannabe incoming dynamic duo. He, IMHO, will fool one heck of a bunches of peeples. Don`t wanna` do eenythin` unlawful such as wagering or some such, but if there`s a way to deliver a bottle without facing a felony rap or losin` your hard-earned license OOOHHHHHH Well! Powell will stay and do one marvy job. winoweenie

- Thomas - 12-19-2000

ww, based on the troubles that Clinton has caused himself, and the fact that he lasted for two terms at the top of approval, I cannot imagine how you cannot see his so-called street smarts; GW ain't even close to that kind of talent, not that I long for another one like that. ...

But you are correct on one point: any savvy activity on the part of GW certainly will fool all of us.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-19-2000).]

- hotwine - 12-19-2000

Folks, W's going to do just fine. He's a graduate of Yale, the Harvard Business School, and was an F-16 pilot in the Guard, for Pete's sake. That's hardly the background of a numbnuts. Yes, he lacks "stagecraft" (I think it was CCK who used that expression...), but he's not had the Lollywood grooming of a showman; he's genuine. As his comfort level with the cameras improves, so will his stage presence. How many of us could step in front of the international press, and look like anything other than a deer in the headlights?
As for the general: he is no quitter! Even when he found himself surrounded by the Clinton crowd, who were making policies that he couldn't support, he hung in there, and withdrew gracefully at a time of his own choosing, when his withdrawal would have a minimal political impact. No, he'll stay - unless his family comes to need him more at home.
I just wish I had gotten to know him. Instructors and students in OCS never associated with each other outside the classroom. And when graduation finally came in Jan '67, all I wanted to do was hit the road, even though it led to combat. Anything was better than Benning! That was the most miserable six months of my life! I still look on it that way, even with what was to follow in '68 at Hue', Khe Sahn, A Shau Valley. At least, I didn't have to go back to Benning!

To hell with money market funds! I'm for buying futures contracts on Lysol and Clorox, the supplies of which are going to grow mighty short in D.C. as the Bush team cleans house!

- Innkeeper - 12-20-2000

Have never met General Powell, but have met Condoleezza Rice and was impressed. In 1987 at SAC Headquarters, my boss sent me over to a briefing by her because he was too busy. No, she was not a teenager then; she was already a recognized expert in international relations. So, there we were; Ms Rice, a half dozen generals, and moi. She calmly told us that in five or six years the Soviet Union would self destruct. The generals sort of groused among themselves muttering such things as, "Yeah, right." I smiled at her and whispered, "Really?" She smiled back and whispered, "Yes."

- hotwine - 12-20-2000

In 1987?! She must have looked like a teenager then, at the ripe old age of - what? 33?
She must be one very bright lady. Glad she's on *our* side.

- mrdutton - 12-20-2000

I predicted this to my brother, a devout Democart..... er Democrat.

I told him that W would pick the brightest and smartest and best qualified team for his government that he could possibly find.

Seems like I am right on track, so far.....