WineBoard
Life is too short... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Life is too short... (/thread-13393.html)

- robr - 04-01-2006

to drink cheap wine.

I've been buying a few more of the e-cheapos lately, for comparisons sake really, I need to remind myself of what I USED to drink a lot of from time to time, and how far I have come.

What I have noticed of late is that, by and large, the flavors are about the same, but much less intense and very shallow, almost as if it were dilluted. Then my imagination took me here:

"Alright boys, this one's a winner! Lets call it our 'Special Reserve'. Drain off about half and we'll bottle it."

(About two hours later)

"Get out the hoses boys! Top it off!"

(About two hours later)

"Alright boys, tastes OK! This one goes out to the grocery stores. It's our 'Every day" selection!"

Am I wrong?

- Innkeeper - 04-01-2006

This does occur in some places, but not all places. There is still lots and lots of great wine out there for $10 and less. You are not apt to find them at the supermarket. I'm having more difficult here in NH than I did in Maine. There we had a fist full of small independent importers and distributors that keep the wine stores well stock with bargains and beauties, as well as the pricier for those who wont. Here, and possibly there, it is more difficult tho not impossible. Just to see what is possible, go to www.chambersstwines.com and click on site contents, and then on $10 and less wines. There are lists like this in lots of other places. Search them out.

- robr - 04-01-2006

Yes, you are right, the grocery stores are not the places to look, and places like Chambers are hard to find. We have one store that I have been to that does this, but it's a two hour drive from where I live!

Still, it is possible to do, and it's what I have to do most of the time.

- Innkeeper - 04-01-2006

You do have Costco stores down there, and I've been to the one in Altamonte Springs. Lots of good stuff there. If not a member go to one of their open houses and check it out. You may want to join then.

- wondersofwine - 04-04-2006

Bern,
Your posting ties in with the latest issue of "Wine Enthusiast." It has an article on wines on "steroids" about the high alcohol in many California and Australian wines and how some European winemakers are reacting or emulating the "international" style. To achieve ripeness and higher alcohol content, the grapes are left on the vine so long that many become dehydrated and the crop is reduced. Then sometimes water is added back to make up for the dehydration and acidification may take place to try to balance the acids.
I thought it was an interesting issue. Also had an article on touring in Bordeaux and one on wine retailers doing more consumer and staff education on wines. ABC Fine Wines and Spirits in Orlando was mentioned prominently in the article for the extensive education program they conduct. Do you shop there?

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-04-2006).]

- robr - 04-04-2006

WoW,

I do not. ABC has been known locally here for years as strictly a liquor store. There is one in my neighborhood, and I will check it out soon and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the heads up!

- Kcwhippet - 04-04-2006

Was in ABC somewhere near the intersection of International and West Sand Lake recently. The wine selection was weak and quite pedestrian. Didn't find anything exciting at all.

- wondersofwine - 04-04-2006

It probably varies a lot from store to store but they are having wine tours and tastings (Sterling Vineyards tasting in Orlando in March). Their employees are reimbursed tuition for attending classes on wine and they are advertising for "wine consultants" (basically customer service personnel to promote and sell wine in the stores, create displays, etc.) So it appears that the emphasis on wine is growing. Their website has a lot on wine but is behind times (still listing March events). http://www.abcfws.com/