WineBoard
Deloach - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Deloach (/thread-13386.html)

- brappy - 03-29-2006

Just had lunch with Mr. Greg La Follette. He took over the wine-making at Deloach back in '04. What an impressive guy! One of the wines showed was an '02 Sauvignon Blanc. he said when he was hired this wine was still in tanks and was a bit tired. He did something I've never heard of(Which probably isn't hard to do with my limited knowledge). He refermented the wine. He said the wine had some(very little) residual sugar so he added some(under 5%) late harvest traminer and refermented until dry. The result was/is quite amazing. The nose of the wine screams fresh, which is odd for an '02, with white fruits. White Grapefruit, white peach etc say hello with the nose, and is confirmed with the palate. This was done with the '02 only and I can only say WOW!

I'll be interested to see how these wines come along. The winery is now owned by a French family, I believe out of Burgundy. Several QPRs are in the portfolio. I would say "several values" but I tasted and found quality enough to buy for my home.

Anyway, really enjoyed talking to a very intelligent guy who has enough passion for wine making that it seems to just rub off on you.

mark

- wondersofwine - 03-29-2006

Isn't he the one making Tandem wine now (his own label)? I think we had a Pinot Noir seminar with him in Raleigh in February.

- brappy - 03-29-2006

Yep, same guy.

- winoweenie - 03-29-2006

Took over a property that has had a solid rep for producing fine juice until the chillins took over from Cecil and put it in the terlit. Can't see myself buying Deloach wines without the mighty firefighter smillinly handing me the box. WW

- brappy - 03-29-2006

Are you saying Cecil was the last wine maker or owner? I know the winery was going broke when it was purchased by the new owners. If you wouldn't mind sharing the history, I'd love to hear it(read it).

mark

- winoweenie - 03-30-2006

Cecil Deloach was a retited firefighter from the Bay area who dreamed of owning a piece of the dream and found this lovely property in Sonoma. Then decided he'd try his hand at grapegrowing, took some correspondence courses, got lots of help from neighbors and proceeded to put out some wonderful wines.Thru the 80s and early 90s' kept production Estate bottled. Then he turned the management over to the kids. They decided to go into competition with Gina and Big Bob, started buying grapes with long term contracts just as the wine glut hit. You know the rest of the story. Sweet man. WW

- wondersofwine - 03-30-2006

I especially liked some of his single-vineyard Zinfandels. The vineyards had been owned by Italian-American families (Gambogi, Barbieri, etc.) and had old vines planted 80 or more years ago.

- brappy - 03-30-2006

Thanks for the history...... I'll be looking forward to see what LaFollette comes up with. Interestingly enough, when they hired him, they also hired his entire crew. I hope he makes the turn-around that he's capable of making.