WineBoard
Recipe for pork tenderloin - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Recipe for pork tenderloin (/thread-1337.html)

- tandkvd - 03-08-2003

This question is for any epicureans out there, expecaly Inkeeper.
I am looking for a good recipe for pork tenderloin and side dishes. And wine to go with it.
Tonight we had a tenderloin marinated in a bottled teriaki sauce and a salad. I had a Borsao 2001 red wine 75/25 Garnacha/Temperanillo. It was de-lish!

- Innkeeper - 03-09-2003

MEXICAN PORK ROLL:

2 to 21/2 lb Pork Tenderloin
(get from butcher, will not be in supermarket)
1/2 lb Chorizo sausage, ground
1/2 tbl Olive oil
Salt & Pepper mill
1 portion refried Frijoles (2 portion recipe follows)
1 lg Onion finely chopped
2 tbl Cilantro chopped

You have to make your pork tenderloin into a large sheet of meat. Do this by defelling it and then slicing it almost in half with the grain, but not all the way through. Then try to cut each half in half again either with or against the grain, depending on what you started with. Then put it between two large pieces of wax paper, and pound it with a rolling pin or rubber mallet until it is an even piece of meat. If you can get the butcher to do this, so much the better. Brown the sausage in oil in a small skillet. Sprinkle the pork sheet with salt and pepper and spread on the refried beans. Sprinkle the sausage over the beans. Then most, but not all, of the raw onion and cilantro. Press down on filling. Starting at the narrowest end of the pork sheet, roll it up jelly roll style, and tie up in both directions with string. Place on a rack in a roasting pan, and roast in a 325 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours. Pour off fat from pan. Pour some of the sauce (recipe follows) into the pan and deglaze it, stirring with a wooden spoon. Pour back into remaining sauce. Cut the pork into 1/2” slices. Spoon sauce over all, and garnish with remaining onion and cilantro. Serve with a salad and a BIG Zinfandel.

MOLE’ SAUCE:

3 tbl Melted lard (or Olive oil)
1 Onion chopped
4 cloves (2 tsp) Minced garlic
3 tbl Chile powder (preferably Gebhardt’s)
1/2 C. Tomato puree
1/2 square Unsweetened baking chocolate
2 to 3 C. Rich meat stock
Salt, pepper mill, and cayenne

Cook onion in fat and add garlic at the end. Stir in remaining ingredients, including a cup of stock. Cook, stirring until chocolate melts. Raise heat until sauce thickens. Add additional stock until you get a good consistency. Correct seasonings.

FRIJOLES:

1 lb Pinto beans
6 C. Water
1 Lg onion chopped
2 cloves (1 tsp) Minced garlic
1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper
2 tsp Chile powder (preferably Gebhardt’s)
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Ground cumin
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Lawry salt or nosalt
1.tsp Black pepper
3 tbl Olive oil

Rinse and pick over beans, and put in slow cooker (crock pot), cover with water and soak overnight. In the morning add remaining ingredients, and cook on low for 24 hours. Divide into two portions. Freeze one of them. To refry, melt two tablespoons of bacon fat, lard, or olive oil in a 10” nonstick skillet. Add one portion of beans and cook through. Mash with hand held potato masher. Heat through.

MEXICAN RICE:

1 - 3 tbl Lard
1 Lg Onion chopped
1/2 tsp Crushed garlic
1 C Short grain rice
2 C Beef stock or bullion
10 oz Tomato puree
1 tsp Lawry salt/nosalt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp Ground cumin
1/4 tsp Granulated garlic (garlic powder)
1 bunch Cilantro minced (at least one tablespoon but more is fine)

Nuke the onion with as much lard as you can stand. Add to pressure cooker, rice cooker, or saucepan with crushed garlic and beef stock. Cover and cook rice until done. In a small mixing bowl whisk together remaining ingredients. Stir into cooked rice, and heat till piping hot. Serve with shredded Montery Jack, and shredded lettuce.

Accompany it with a nice lusty zinfandel.

- tandkvd - 03-09-2003

Thanks IK, I will be trying this soon. It sounds great. I was also reading back on the post about your Super Bowl Meetball Sandwiches. I saved a copy of that as well.

- Georgie - 03-09-2003

I made those meatballs this past week. They ARE good! I followed IK's sauce recipe, too, for the most part. Definitely add the port wine. Makes a huge difference in the taste!

- Auburnwine - 03-09-2003

A recipe? It looks tasty, but I am not entirely sure that I trust anyone who writes down recipes (okay, I'd trust IK -- the exception).

I marinate a pork loin overnight with dried figs and tangerine juice. I bake it covered for a while in the marinade, then rack it to brown. Then I use the marinade to make a brown sauce, chopping up the figs as it simmers.

Cooking in the marinade makes it fall-apart moist. Browning gives it a nice crust. And the figs and citrus reduce to a killer sauce.

- tandkvd - 03-09-2003

Thanks AW, that is a combo I would not have thought about, but is one I will deffinatly try.
Just got back from dinner with mom. She had chicken filets raped in bacon in a white cream sauce, marinated green beans and carrots (served chilled), sweet potato casorol and homemade biscuits. And NO wine! Had to settel for an off-dry iced tea, low acid and tannins, with a smooth finish.

- mrdutton - 03-09-2003

Take two pork tenderloins and rub them down with olive oil and then Emeril's Essence. Then, using butcher's string, tie a generous porton of fresh rosemary sprigs around the outside of the tenderloins.

Refrigerate overnight.

Place them on your charcoal grill using indirect heat. Roast until you have an internal temperature between 145 and 150.

Remove from heat and cover with aluminum foil, letting the meat rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the foil, the string and the rosemary sprigs. Cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick.

Serve with green beans and roasted new or red potatoes.

Serve with a CdR, CdRV, Ca' de Sol Big House Red, Cline Zin or Cline Oakley Vin Rouge.....

Just one of the ways I like to prepare my pork tenderloin.