WineBoard
Interesting Wine-Related gifts over holidays? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Interesting Wine-Related gifts over holidays? (/thread-13342.html)

- TheEngineer - 01-05-2011

Anyone who knows that you are a "Wine-guy" automatically assumes that they can buy you a wine related gift and that you would be estatic. While I'm always a humble guy and ALWAYS appreciates a gift regardless of how good or bad, I will admit that while my outward shows huge appreciation (and honest I do appreciate the effort that they go to for my gift), internally I'm less than stoked. It's true for pretty much any hobby I guess, not one knows more about what they want than the person themselves and usually if it is a true enthusiast, then the item is usually pretty difficult (not just a cost issue) to get.

So this year, I completely appreciated the number of bottles that I got, some of decent bottles that I'll drink, others, I'm sure re-gifted along the ways (a 2003 Nouveau Beaujoulais anyone???) and might have a use in a stew or something..... but no one hit what I really really wanted...... a real Lagioule olive wood Cork Screw or a real carbon steel MAC knife set from Japan, or a pair of B&W 801 monitors, or a new micro 4/3rds camera set that I really need (or maybe just a Leica), or a set of B&O headphones, or........

- winoweenie - 01-06-2011

That's the penalty for beeing know as a "wine guy". I've "grinned-and-beared-it" so many times as friends present me with useless stuff that I'll never use. They mean well and when they gain more wine knowledge it's amazing how fast they apologize for their gift. WW

- wondersofwine - 01-06-2011

We did a gift exchange at work where you don't know in advance who will open which present. I ended up with several jars of wine grape jelly from Duplin Winery here in North Carolina (they make muscadine, etc. wines.) I will open one jar soon and see how it tastes on toast. I gave two wine tumblers with a snowflake motif that were large enough that you could use them for egg nog or fruit punch.

My sister and I usually do fairly well on our gifts to each other. I gave her a black and white print scarf that I bought from African Ministries at church and a sterling silver snowflake pendant. She had actually been hunting for a black and white scarf in Iowa without finding one she liked and was delighted with the gift (I didn't know she was looking for one.) She also seemed to like the pendant.
She gave me a gift card for Barnes and Noble and a pair of gloves (both suggestions from me when she asked what I would like) and also a gift card to St. Jacques French Cuisine Restaurant in Raleigh which I will use either at one of their wine dinners or to take a friend from church to dinner there. St. Jacques is having their annual "Open That Bottle Night" January 25th (no corkage.) I think this year I will take a half-bottle of Puligny-Montrachet and possibly a Pinot Noir or red Burgundy to share. If I decide not to take a red wine, I
will probably add a half-bottle of dessert wine.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 01-06-2011).]