WineBoard
To paraphrase MacArthur, - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: To paraphrase MacArthur, (/thread-13287.html)

- dananne - 01-22-2008

We have returned. We spent the 4-day weekend traveling all around Missouri. We went from KC up to St. Joseph, then across the state to Macon, then down through Columbia and Jeff City to Rolla, then back the other way across the state through Springfield to the Joplin area, and finally back to KC.

The only way the above relates to wine is that, while in Columbia, we went to a wine bar/restaurant for lunch. They sell wines in an attached shop, and we browsed to find something to drink during the Packers game (a topic that is off-topic for me for the near future). Anyway, and Wonders will perk up at this, we found the 2006 Lange Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley) for $13.99. Yes, $13.99. At the winery, it runs something around $23. I have no idea why it was so cheap, but it drank wonderfully. Frankly, had I paid $30 for it, I'd have been happy at the QPR, so at the price we paid, I almost felt guilty. Quality-wise, it is so much better than any other Pinot that can be purchased at $14, it's like comparing Pintos and Porsches.

I don't think there is anyone on here from Missouri (perhaps Scoop in KC?), but if anyone is traveling in the Columbia area and wants the 411 on the wine bar, let me know.

I'll post more complete notes on recently downed wines once we've unpacked and settled back into our Atlanta routine, and for those of you who tried to ring us while we were away, I'll be in touch on the weekend.

- winoweenie - 01-22-2008

Au Contraire there Dan'l! The weener granulated frum the University of Mo', lived in both K.C. and "meet me in" for several years afterward. No wine bars in Columbia during my day but watering holes in every other building. Grew up in Tulsa so spemt loads of time at Lake of the Ozarks in the summer helping lovely vacationing teachers with their chores. Haven't had the pleasure of going back since moving from KC to Topeka and then to Wichita but keep in touch wif' meeny of me old frat bros(ATO). WW

- VouvrayHead - 01-23-2008

I'm now in St. Louie and drive through Columbia every once in a while...
Is this the new wine bar on 9th street?

- dananne - 01-23-2008

I had forgotten that, WW. Did you like MO, or was it one of those "I can't wait to graduate and leave" type of places?

V -- It's called Village Wine and Cheese on Broadway. Limited menu, but tasty stuff. Sandwiches are huge. Nice, hip staff. Overall, we really enjoyed Columbia. Diverse wine selections, and they seemed to choose a nice balance between the hard-to-find little gems and the familiar.

Follow up question -- By any chance are you familiar with the Macon/Brookfield/Marceline area just south of Kirksville?

- winoweenie - 01-23-2008

Had an absolute ball there but got married and our 1st child came my senior year so, in the course of staving off starvation, thot it best to get into the real world. WW

- wondersofwine - 01-23-2008

My brother-in-law's younger brother is a professor at U of Missouri, Columbia. He and his wife seem to like the area--they live in a rural location and have had interesting livestock (goats, etc.) He graduated from U of Nebraska, Lincoln but has probably switched his loyalties to Mizzou by now in athletic competition.

- VouvrayHead - 01-23-2008

Thanks...
Afraid I don't know the Kirksville area at all.

I know of the good and not-so-good wineries in the St.L area, so if you're in the area again...