WineBoard
Bah! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Bah! (/thread-13250.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- hotwine - 11-08-2006

The wide-spread voter fraud that has become so commonplace since 2000 tells me that picture IDs should be required to vote. And only two should be acceptable: a current passport or a concealed handgun license. I'm damned tired of dead voters and Daffy Duck swinging elections!

- Kcwhippet - 11-08-2006

Kind of renews the argument for a National ID. Most of the rest of the world has them, why not us?

- wondersofwine - 11-08-2006

HW, don't you think the Republicans might have lost some seats because the voters were fed up--not because of voter fraud?

- hotwine - 11-08-2006

Certainly, Wonders. Count me among those who are fed up with the lack of leadership in the GOP.

- Thomas - 11-08-2006

KC, I agree. Of course we already have one: the s.s. number. The trouble we have had with the s.s. number is that it has been used to create other identity cards. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen allowed by congress.

A national i.d. card with a picture should still have to be joined by a second photo i.d. as a check, and preferably we wouldn't be reuqired to show our national i.d. card to prove who we are before a store check cashing card or even a driver'slicense is issued to us.

- Thraz - 11-08-2006

You don't have to be a citizen to have an ssn or a state licence or ID card - I can vouch for that first hand.

Admittedly, restricting voting to those with a concealed handgun licence would also ensure that there are very few swings in leadership...

- Thomas - 11-08-2006

Ah yes, I forgot about that Thraz.

So complicated. But then, along with a national i.d. it would also be nice if the US could get voting machines that work properly...

- Bucko - 11-08-2006

Sit back and watch the entertainment in Virginia. Anyone want to bet that the courts do not get involved?

I usually lean a little right, but the corruption and Iraq war caused me to lean to the left this go around.

Like Foodie, I wish I had an option besides left or right.

- wondersofwine - 11-09-2006

I consider myself a moderate Democrat and was glad to see Senator Lieberman re-elected albeit as an Independent. I'm not sure I approve of judges being elected (rather than appointed) but we do elect judges in NC. Voters turned out of office two judges in my county who had poor conviction rates on drunk drivers. It's maddening when they get off with no jail time and then become repeat offenders, eventually killing some innocent pedestrian or family. We'll see if the conviction rate goes up with the new judges.

- Bucko - 11-09-2006

I honestly believe people are fed up with politicians/judges/etc. paying no attention. They are going to get their a$$e$ voted out of office on a more regular basis in the future. People are more focused.

- hotwine - 11-09-2006

The GOP simply lost its way. It forgot the Reagan principles of small government, fiscal restraint, low taxes, individual freedom and a strong national defense; they kept the latter three but threw overboard any notion of fiscal restraint or downsizing government. They found they enjoyed too much the trappings of power in DC. And they completely missed the "BS flag" being waved by the electorate. They got what they deserved.

Now we've got to find a pathfinder to get us back on course.....

- Kcwhippet - 11-09-2006

I've been hearing that John McCain and Mitt Romney are the Republican top choices. Based on the fact that the Dems now control the upper and lower houses of Congress, it looks like Hilary will have a real tough time running. Her big thing was to fight the incumbent Reps, but thy're not in power any more. Too bad.

- hotwine - 11-09-2006

The next two years will be interesting. Should be hilarious to watch the Dems try to come up with a legislative agenda that's not so hard-left that it jeopardizes their party's hopeful in '08. Hillarycare, anyone?

- Bucko - 11-09-2006

If the GOP has not become totally brain dead, they better look at the polls real hard. A poll released today (over 100,000 votes) showed on the Dems side:

Who would you be most likely to vote for?
Hillary Clinton 30%
Barack Obama 25%
Other 21%

On the GOP side:

Rudy Giuliani 39%
John McCain 24%
Other 12%

If the GOP does not run Rudy G., I predict right now that they will lose the White House. I am deathly afraid of Hillary in the White House -- the country will turn upside down.

- wondersofwine - 11-13-2006

Hey, Bucko. The country didn't fare so badly under Bill Clinton's Presidency. We had surplus budgets (oh to return to those days!) and no major wars.

- Bucko - 11-13-2006

Hillary virtually destroyed health care. If she is elected, we might as well go to socialized medicine. Ask Canadians how they like that?

No wars under Clinton? He bears a large part of the responsibility for the terrorism mess we are in now. Endless terror attacks on us under his administration -- what did he do? Squat.

Remember the 1993 World Trade Centre bombing? The 1995 bombing in Saudi Arabia? The 1996 al-Khobar towers bombing in Saudi Arabia? The 1998 bombing of US embassies in Africa? The 2000 bombing of the USS Cole?

Clinton was weak and worthless against terroism. Now Nasty Nancy wants to make Cut&Run Murtha the majority leader!?! God save us all -- the Dems won't.

I'll keep an open mind (as much as is possible for this old fart). I'll sit back and watch what the Dems do against terrorism. I predict failure but hope for a new and better path.

- Glass_A_Day - 11-13-2006

I agree completly Bucko. Every once in a while the Dems get a shot and remind everyone that they don't get it. Like you I hope it won't be the case again this time, but am not holding my breath. Overall it is getting tiring voting for the lesser of two evils. Although, living in MA, my vote means nothing anyways. The moonbats here wouldn't even let an amendment pass to allow wine sales in grocery stores. [img]http://205.134.252.108/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 11-13-2006

GAD you seem to be on the same wavelength as Bucko and moi.

- Bucko - 11-13-2006

Carole and I registered as Independents this year. According to Lou Dobbs, it is the fastest growing party in the USA. As you say, GAD, it is indeed voting for the lesser of two evils. It has gotten very sad. I'd love to see three viable parties.

- VouvrayHead - 11-14-2006

Heh, if you all think YOU'RE frustrated!

At risk of being mocked in the future, I'm a libertarian. Every election comes down to being disgusted with the social politics and insular self-righteousness of the Republicans and equally disgusted with the social engineering and economics of the Democrats.

It's particularly disappointing when one party screws things up enough that I have to root strongly for the other (as in this previous election).

It's a sad, sad world when I have to be excited about Nancy Pelosi. That said, I resolve to never, ever be excited about Hilary Clinton...

Good Night, and Good Luck!