WineBoard
For your entertainment... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: For your entertainment... (/thread-13248.html)

Pages: 1 2

- cpurvis - 06-11-2001

From the 'dumb wine moves' department:

Was recently given a vacu-vin by a friend. Not sure of it's actual usefulness, but have applied it to reds several times rather than just have it sittin' in the drawer.

Last week I posted almost-TNs on the Ste. Chapelle NV American Riesling sparkler. After drinking half at dinner, looked around for a cork to close it. Couldn't find a fit, so thought "Hey, the vacu-vin plug might fit." So I plugged the bottle... & applied vac.

Next evening went to open the bottle & the plug slipped out effortlessly...DUH!!! Vacu-vin pressure direction: out. Carbonation pressure direction: out. Result: decent NV riesling w/out bubbles. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/redface.gif[/img]

Was definitely missin' on a coupla cylinders to make that move...that's what I get for messin' w/ SWs! Somebody pass me a big zin...

cp

[This message has been edited by cpurvis (edited 06-11-2001).]

- hotwine - 06-11-2001

CP, I think all of us who have struggled to preserve leftover wine overnight can sympathize with that move. But don't give up on the Vacu-vin. I use it frequently for both reds and whites (but not for sparklers). Just be sure to moisten the rubber stopper, and then after inserting it in the bottle, pump it at least half a dozen times with the Vacu-vin pump before storing the bottle in the fridge. It usually works alright for 24-hour storage.

- winoweenie - 06-11-2001

Serves you rite! Both for the SW AND the attempted use of the most worthless of intrumanets the " Valcumm-Vinnn " WW

- Bucko - 06-11-2001

They make Champagne stoppers -- I'll seend directions as it has TWO moving parts..... <ahem> ;-) AFA VacuVin -- why bother? Use Private Preserve.

Bucko

- hotwine - 06-11-2001

I've not had much luck with Champagne stoppers. Or with Private Preserve, for that matter; it seems to impart a smell/taste that detracts from the wine IMHO.

The only solution is to drink up so we don't have any leftovers!

- Thomas - 06-11-2001

Hotwine, you have hit the bell! All that preserving stuff is for S's, whether or not they drink SWs...

- cpurvis - 06-11-2001

Well Mr. Glamour Gams, thanks for the offer of "directions". However, you should know that I'm a proud gradjeeat of the School for the Mechanically Declined & am now certified to work with items of no more than 2 moving parts [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

HW, "half a dozen times"? That's great news! The way I've been usin' it would qualify as a personal workout [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

cp

- mrdutton - 06-11-2001

I don't use the gasses, but I find the comment "Private Preserve ... seems to impart a smell/taste that detracts from the wine" very interesting.

The gas used in Private Preserve is odorless, colorless and is supposed to be chemically inert. If you are getting smell and taste from the stuff, then that supposition may not be true.......

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 06-11-2001).]

- Bucko - 06-11-2001

MrD, Hotwine has been breathing that charcoal smoke for so long that he can't tell manly gas from SW gas.... ;-)

Hotwine, get a NEW Champagne stopper and stay away from the flea market!

BuckSnort

- hotwine - 06-11-2001

Pure nitrogen is odorless, colorless and tasteless. So is Private Preserve pure nitrogen? I don't think so.

I trust my schnozola - it has quite a track record. When it says, "There's bad air in that-there can!" I believe it.

- Thomas - 06-11-2001

It's in the packaging. Nitrogen is inert, but packaging isn't always so. Is that stainless steel or is that throw-away parts that are made from stainless steel? Or is that sterilized packaging? And we know what sterilization has done to wines that are corky...

Drink the whole bottle and you do not have to worry about such nonsense.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-11-2001).]

- winoweenie - 06-11-2001

My sentiments precisely there Hotsie. Foodie is telling you like it be>>>Drink that sucker! Private Preserve is a combination of 3 gasses all inert and competely odorless and tasteless.
( N2, CO2, and Ar ).It also uses no fluorcarbons and is completely pressure fed. Are you sure you you 'haint lettin' your 'magin get away wif' your tasties? WW

- hotwine - 06-11-2001

Nope, I can smell it and taste it.

When I can (meaning when she doesn't give me too hard a time about it), I just finish the bottle. If she rags about it, I Vacu-vin.

Can't believe you guys can't taste Private Preserve!

- Bucko - 06-11-2001

In a Foghorn Leghorn voice "Now see here boy! Come in, I say come in outta that sun. It has done baked your brain."

BuckGas

- hotwine - 06-11-2001

That's probably true, Oh Gassey One! This South Texas sun does funny things to a fellow's cogitatin' ability.

Hmmm, now that you mention that big ol' Leghorn.... that sucker would easily fit in my BBQ pit.......

- Bucko - 06-11-2001

LOL!

Seriously now, I can smell the Private Preserve, even though it says odorless, but it dissipates quickly. I have never had an off-taste from the product.

Bucko

- hotwine - 06-12-2001

Have only tried a couple of cans of it, so maybe it was just a bad batch.

Back to that Leghorn.....does it come in BEEF flavor?

- Thomas - 06-12-2001

Are there any grommets or rubber thingies anywhere in the Private Preserve? I have to ask because I have neither seen nor used one of them things, but I do use a CO2 cartridge to make seltzer water at home, and I swear there is a smell and taste to the water afterwards (not offensive, but there). I believe the reasons for the smell and taste are thus:

1. rubber gasket on the intake side of the CO2 recepticle.

2. even though a gas is inert, our heightened smell and taste buds (same thing) detect a difference, and alteration, if you will.

So Hotwine, I believe you about the smell and taste of that thing, but you know how to fix it. Just tell your wife the bottle must have leaked and that you will take it back tomorrow to get a replacement...

- hotwine - 06-12-2001

Sounds good, Foodie! That's an excuse I haven't tried yet.

- winoweenie - 06-12-2001

Hotbabe and the mity Foodster. I just checked and withdraw any comment I made on this post. I bought my can of Private Preserve in the fall of 95 and it still has 118 full sprays. The only two times I've used the sucker was either on the 2nd or 3rd bottle. "Haint many bottles go unfinished under the watchful mouth of the weenier. WW