WineBoard
Why Wine Spectator annoys me - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Why Wine Spectator annoys me (/thread-13240.html)

- joeyz6 - 10-31-2005

Hey all, long time no post. Hope things are well with all of you. I'm been crazy busy, working as one of the sommeliers at Alinea Restaurant in Chicago. Would love to see any of you if you're in town.

Anyway, I wanted to take a moment to jump back on here today, because I just picked up a copy of Wine Spectator to read about the 2002 Cabs. Having worked out there last year, I've developed somewhat of an interest in those wines. So I was looking in the back at the retrospective 1995 tasting, and I was shocked to see that Laube gave the 95 Mayacamas a *#@&$^% 75 points! Come on now ... the 95 Mayacamas was one of my absolute favorite wines I tasted last year. One of Bob's best vintages since the 1970s, and one of the most beautifully balanced wines I have tasted from California. Laube's palate is so one-dimensional -- the bigger, the better. He doesn't seem to have any appreciation for medium-bodied wines.

- Thomas - 10-31-2005

Hello joeyz,

There really is no point in arguing wine points. It's all subjective, if not infuriating...

- Innkeeper - 10-31-2005

Welcome back Joe. Glad you've been busy; sounds like a great job.

- winoweenie - 10-31-2005

Hi Joey and congrats on your new position. Bob Travers has given me MEENY hours of drinking bliss. Can't reconcile my palate with Laubes or for that matter very few of the reviwers, ergo, I don't subscribe to any of them. His 1970 is still in the top 10 all-time favorites of mine. WW

- wondersofwine - 11-02-2005

Maybe Wineguru will cross paths with you Joey sometime. I don't have any trips to Chicago planned but will keep the restaurant in mind. Are many of your customers receptive to your suggestions for a wine they haven't tried before?
Last weekend I tried a self-selected flight of red wines at Dean and Deluca in Charlotte and had the waitperson help me put them in the proper drinking order. Will post tasting notes later today.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-02-2005).]

- joeyz6 - 11-03-2005

Foodie, I agree, these ratings are getting so stupid that I shouldn't even look to begin with. The thing is, by him saying that this wine is only worth 75 pts, to me, he's basically saying that wine sucked. Which is ridiculous. I've had it twice, and it's awesome.

Anyway, WOW, your question is a great one. The way we do it is, basically, we TELL people what to drink. We offer a very extensive wine pairing program that about 2/3 of our guests participate in. Very little information is provided ahead of time as to what wines will be served. It's a leap of faith, but one that is most certainly rewarded. Joe Catterson is our wine director, and his pairings are quite amazing. He has no agenda, no prejudice ... he simply finds the ONE wine (or in some cases, there's a choice between two wines) that pairs best with that dish.

- joeyz6 - 11-03-2005

Some of our current pairings: Pommeau de Normandie, white Pinot Noir from the Oltrepo Pavese in Lombardia, Movia "Veliko Bianko" Ribolla/PG/CH/SB from Slovenia, Albert Mann Pinot Auxerrois Old Vines 2003, 1978 Barbeito Sercial Madeira, and a sweet version of a Kir that Joe came up with for our chocolate course. It's Moscato Rosa from Alto Adige mixed with Cassis.

- wondersofwine - 11-03-2005

Wow--those are some off-the-beaten path selections that would be fun to try.

- Thomas - 11-04-2005

Hats off to your restaurant--that's a marvelous selection of obscurity and a breath of fresh wine in this world of over-the-top point winners.