WineBoard
Is it any wonder I drink? ( 2) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Is it any wonder I drink? ( 2) (/thread-13236.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 11-13-2003

Forgive the lengthy post, but I feel the need to share..

Here's how the last half hour of my day went. One of my little girls, Kaylee, goes to a special teacher for math instruction, and so at 2:30 I sent her on her way. At 2:35 she was back in my room to tell me that she'd just thrown up several times in the hallway. The look on her face told me I needed to act rather quickly, so I stood up, grabbed the books out of her hand and aimed her away from me just in time. 24 other eight-year olds watched in horror and disgust, then began to shriek, "EEEUW!" I was standing at arm's length, trying to hold Kaylee's hair back as she continued to get sick. Unfortunately, my arm just wasn't quite long enough and my feet and lower legs got well-splattered with you-know-what. Now I was yelling over the din to the rest of the class to GET OUT of the room so that the sight and smell wouldn't trigger a chain reaction. Kaylee went off to the nurse...Georgie wiped off her shoes and went outside into the hall with the kids to await a custodial clean-up. Of course, since Kaylee had christened the hallway in several places, there was no escaping the stink. After 15 minutes of me trying to keep the class quiet, along saunters the custodian who just happened to be passing by and had never received my SOS. He was less than delighted to have to clean it up. He came out of my room and said, "Oh my God, what a stink!" which began another chorus of "EEEUWS!" "Thank you SO much," I thought. When he'd finally finished, we went inside and found that he'd opened all the windows. Now you might have heard that we are experiencing 50-60 mph wind gusts today. So I found every loose piece of paper in the room flying around, the ceiling tiles flapping up and down, and all my bulletin board displays being torn off by the wind. More shrieks from the kids. I quickly battened down the hatches and got the kids to kind of settle down. Just as I went to re-staple a piece of the cursive aphabet the power went out. More howls from the kids. I finally just had to shake my head and laugh. "I don't believe this," I thought. We dismissed by wristwatch in semi-darkness. Just another fun day in the third grade.

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 11-13-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 11-13-2003

So, how much of a bottle of port did you down when you got home?

- quijote - 11-14-2003

KC, I think the question may have to be:"How many bottles of Port?"

Oh, Georgie! And it wasn't even a Friday!! What an experience.... I hope the rest of the day went by quickly, and you were home in no time.

[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 11-13-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 11-14-2003

Well, its true. Every time you think your own world is going down the tubes, just turn around and you will find someone with greater troubles. Is there any Port left in New Jersey?

- winoweenie - 11-14-2003

Yeppo there IK. As the old saw goes " Try walking a mile in her shoes ".....Don' think I want to even look at them dudes. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 11-14-2003

That is wild, Georgie. Today has got to be better! (Hope you take some Lysol to work with you today, to kill the lingering smell...)

You'll be happy to hear that the 24 NJ tigers arrived safely at their new home a few miles south of us here. Couple of them are pictured on the front page of the San Antonio Express-News this morning.

- Thomas - 11-14-2003

Another ho-hum day in educating the young-eh!
When I was in school we would have quickly seen the episode as grounds for a day off...

- wondersofwine - 11-14-2003

My sympathies, Georgie. They don't pay teachers enough!
The evening before (Wednesday evening) I was driving home from work on Fort Bragg. Traffic was slow on Reilly Road so I figured there might be an accident up ahead (there was). The right lane was blocked by the accident. I was already in the left lane. The car ahead of me let one car from the right lane in. I let one car from the right lane in. Everyone was pretty much orderly and progressing slowly until a lady in a Hyundai who didn't get the message decided she could drive right through my Cavalier. She hit the rear end at a good clip and pushed my car into the Dodge Caravan in front of me. A police car at the first accident came back to us to see that there were no serious injuries and told us to move the three cars involved into a fast food parking lot. He then went back to the first accident scene which required a tow truck. We waited about 30-45 minutes until a State Trooper came to take our statements. The front end of the Hyundai was quite messed up and the trooper called a tow truck for that driver. My car and the Dodge were driveable but both had some rear end damage and the left rear fender of my car also is dented.
When the collision occured my eyeglasses went flying off. It was already dark, but I had to put on prescription sunglasses to hunt for my regular glasses. Finally found them under the dashboard on the passenger side with several letters and papers that slid off the passenger seat. I get an estimate on damage Monday and while my car is in the body shop it will take me longer to drive on post, because I will have a rental car without Fort Bragg decal and will have to have the car inspected every time I enter post. I am glad no one was injured and that the lady was driving a Hyundai and not a Hummer!

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-14-2003).]

- Georgie - 11-14-2003

Would you believe I was out of Port? Couldn't drink before church choir practice, anyway, (Methodist church, hee, hee) so I settled for some Kahlua before bedtime. Good stuff. Today just HAS to be better.
Hotsie, there has been much in our news about our tigers (now your tigers.)I am very happy to know that they will be well-cared for. I heard that they'll be in pens for awhile and later allowed to roam in some open areas. Keep your eyes open, will ya?

- ShortWiner - 11-14-2003

Sheesh, as our own WW says. My sympathies to both of you, Georgie and WOW. Glad everyone's alright.

- Georgie - 11-14-2003

Sorry to hear about the accident, wow, and glad that no one was seriously injured. My mother had a great expression for times of trial. She'd always say, "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"

- Bucko - 11-14-2003

That's all it took? Huh? We daily set off stink bombs, dropprd M80s in assundry spots, rolled a mouse up in the pull down map for all to enjoy when the map came down, among other love notes for the teach. Just be thankful you didn't have us in your class.

- quijote - 11-14-2003

So WOW, how many bottles of Riesling did you have after the accident? Glad to hear the damage was contained to the cars.

- Auburnwine - 11-14-2003

Ah, Georgie, I sympathize: my lad had tummy trouble the other night -- and seems to have baptized every piece of furniture in the den, along with the rug.

And WOW, I did get rear-ended by a monster Suburban Assault Vehicle a year ago.

My simple tale of having to clean up road-killed possum from the road in front my house (IK - What wine do you recommend with possum?) is far less complicated and unpleasant.

- Innkeeper - 11-14-2003

I like a lusty zin with my possum.

- Kcwhippet - 11-14-2003

Unless you give it a gentle mega hour stewing, and then I'd go with a Cotes du Rhone.

- tandkvd - 11-14-2003

AW, don't you think that in the south a good Mad Dog 20/20 would be appropriate with possem.

- winedope1 - 11-14-2003

Georgie- I sympathize!!! WOW- it must be a bad week for cars. I was on my way to work yesterday (about 7:30 am) in heavy traffic. Some guy decied to travel in the right breakdown lane and ended up crunching down the entire length of the passenger side of my truck. When the police came the guy tried to deny that he was using the breakdown lane but finally admitted it. I ended up at the doctor's office and have some lovely pain meds for my neck and back. The guy looked at my truck and said oh its just a scratch- don't call the cops! What is wrong with people anyway?? Georgie- hope you enjoy the weekend if we can ever get rid of these crazy winds! WOW- hope all is well. WD

- winoweenie - 11-14-2003

Good gracious did all of our snowbirds leave early? Every day in Mesa there are at least 20 accidents caused by wrong-way, wrong-lane, wrong-signal, blue-hairs that make the news. The little fender-benders don't even get a line in the papers. WW

- Kcwhippet - 11-14-2003

WD - That's very similar to what happened to my neighbor a few weeks ago. He was driving through Worcester and had to amke a right turn. He says (and the police report backs him up) he made a signal for a right turn at an intersection and was waiting for traffic to clear ahead of him. He got about two car lengths from the intersection when another driver tried to pass him on the right side and hit him, and hit the right side front wheel so hard it broke the tie rod. Turns out the lady actually wanted to go straight through the intersection and was in such a hurry she tried to make it through in the breakdown lane. Too bad - $200 fine, three points on her insurance and $3200 to fix my neighbor's vehicle. Bad time to be in a hurry I guess.