WineBoard
San Antonio bound - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: San Antonio bound (/thread-13229.html)

- Georgie - 01-14-2005

Tomorrow we're off to SA for the weekend. Limo to the airport picks us up at 4am...ugh...Hope to meet up with Hotsie for dinner Sunday night. I haven't flown in 26 years...I'm a bit nervous. Say a little prayer for us!

- Bucko - 01-14-2005

26 years! Are you being released from prison or something?

- winoweenie - 01-14-2005

Does a pretty solid impersonation of a pilot whenced driving her vehicle. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Georgie - 01-14-2005

I don't get out much. The farthest I've ever been from home is Ireland (26 years ago.) As far as US travel I've never been farther west than Pennsylvania! I know...pretty pathetic..and pipe down ww!

- Bucko - 01-14-2005

"I've never been farther west than Pennsylvania!"

Holy smokes! You need to get an extension to that leash!

- hotwine - 01-17-2005

We spent a delightful evening with Georgie, her Sisterdear and SD's husband Bob at Milano's in San Antonio. Good food, decent wine (Messina Hof Pinot Grigio) and excellent company. Fun folks, delightful indeed. Sorry our house is a wreck from floor damage, or we could have been more hospitable. (Even the backyard is still trashed, from $10K worth of trenching to control oak wilt disease.) Georgie is 'way too generous, with the gift of a bottle of St Emilion... AND DINNER, for Pete's sake! Gotta watch her like a hawk! Thanks, Georgie, and thanks for the pleasure of spending an evening with you and yours.

- Innkeeper - 01-17-2005

Well Gil, now you know firsthand a little bit of the fun we had in the Finger Lakes.

- hotwine - 01-17-2005

They raved about it all evening, IK. We're all looking forward to the next one.

- wondersofwine - 01-17-2005

Sorry to hear about flood damage Hotsie. How bad was it? Were you able to get furnishings out before the water came it?

- hotwine - 01-17-2005

The living room is sunken about 6", so we were able to move furniture up into the dining room and sunroom. Oriental rug in the LR was a big concern, but only one corner got wet and we had it removed and cleaned; came out OK.

The water flowed down the central hall, out of the master bathroom, where we later found the brass flange connecting the toilet to the 4" drain pipe was broken.... probably since the house was built in 1973, per the plumber. So the hall flooring was wiped out, but that's the extent of the damage that we've found so far.

Septic system backed up due to tree roots in the three 4" waste lines; instead of that toilet overflowing, it forced water out the base through the broken flange. Venturi effect had apparently saved us before. We scrambled, mopping like crazy for 3-4 hours, and seem to have done pretty well in getting the water up. But the reclamation company had to disinfect everything the water had touched.

Counting plumbing and septic system repairs, plus flooring replacement, cleaning, etc., damages are about $10K, with about half of that covered by insurance. Could be worse.

- winoweenie - 01-17-2005

Them 2 darlin' girlz are a joy 'haint they Hotsie? WW

- hotwine - 01-17-2005

They are indeed, WW.

- Georgie - 01-18-2005

What a fun weekend! Everything went just as we'd planned. Shocked the pants off our choral conductor when we showed up at the opera performance Saturday night. It was held at the auditorium of Gil's high school Alma Mater. What a gorgeous venue! On Sunday we visited the Alamo and toured the River Walk, before having dinner with Gil and Deb. What great folks, but I knew they would be. Thanks to this board, as the old saying goes, they didn't seem at all like strangers; just friends we hadn't met yet. Delicious food and delightful company made for a memorable evening. Can't wait to see them again in August. They'll certainly fit right in with the rest of this crowd!